Port Soderick - Sold

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Yeah if you look at any of the Victorian photos on Manx Nostalgia or iMuseum, you'll notice there are virtually no trees.

I'd always assumed that it was the Victorians or soon before that stripped them all for firewood, building, mine supports etc.

[...] More diverse and native plantings are definitely required and are occurring in some places.

Actually deforestation goes back to Bronze Age and probably before as that quote above suggests.  When the Vikings came they needed to import timber for building because there was so little on the Island.  In overall terms tree cover is probably higher now than for several millennia, though it's still less than the UK.  And a lot of it is upland plantations which have problems with disease and are only one or two species.

What is really depressing is that whenever there is a big thing made about tree planting, such as the Millennium Oakwood or the more recent People's Wood', what they produce is even worse that the plantations, just one species planted in tight, over-close, regular lines and with little hope of survival.  I suppose they see them as having no purpose ones the PR photos have been taken and the right contractors been rewarded.

• Like 4

I think it's those percentages of tree cover figures that are most dramatic. The fact that we've only got 6% now (and much of that "artificially" planted rather than natural), vs 13% UK and 44% Europe shows just how much the Island has lost over a millennium + of clearance for farming and development (with one or two HNWs apparently now willing to take up the reins?)

It makes me wonder just how much planting we'd have to do to bring the percentage up to say, the mid 20%s; and what the Island would look like when it was established. Any current Google Earth image shows just how relatively barren and bare much of the uplands in particular really are?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Any current Google Earth image shows just how relatively barren and bare much of the uplands in particular really are

Not all barren and bare - there are habitats there that are just as ecologically important as wooded areas

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Max Power said:

I don't recall ever being swept away when leaving the pub after attending a Nasty Piece of Work gig? Mind you, I was very, very drunk!

And I'll bet you drove home!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Actually deforestation goes back to Bronze Age and probably before as that quote above suggests.  When the Vikings came they needed to import timber for building because there was so little on the Island.  In overall terms tree cover is probably higher now than for several millennia, though it's still less than the UK.  And a lot of it is upland plantations which have problems with disease and are only one or two species.

What is really depressing is that whenever there is a big thing made about tree planting, such as the Millennium Oakwood or the more recent People's Wood', what they produce is even worse that the plantations, just one species planted in tight, over-close, regular lines and with little hope of survival.  I suppose they see them as having no purpose ones the PR photos have been taken and the right contractors been rewarded.

I had a conversation with someone recently, well informed chap, who told me that we had around 350,000 trees on the island?