Time to ruin Peel

Monkey, if they took all that granite from the island, we'd topple over!

I've never suggested they use granite, quite the opposite. If they had any intention of making the work "in keeping" with what's there in any of the locations then they wouldn't be using granite at all, as I thought I'd explained in my previous post.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More typical bull shit money wasting from the Bellend administration. Whilst complaining about the lack of public funds and the need for saving money they continue to waste our money on so called 're

Yes what a hideous commuter wasteland. It's hard to build a place with even less character than Onchan in the day time but Dandara more than exceeded that with this ultimate soulless commuter-vile.

It's already been Ballawattleworthed.

Posted Images

So we've had the slate & red brick historic buildings of Ramsey, the limestone buildings of Castletown and now the sandstone centre of Peel all complimented with imported granite! Makes you wonder what they knew about building town centres 100+ years ago that we don't know today.

But that was long before Bell's trade visit to China - I wonder what he negotiated with them in return for shed loads of their granite!
  • Like 2

There was some tasteful regeneration in Peel, using traditional sandstone, just behind the promenade. I think it was done about twenty years ago. There's also a quite nice housing development in the town somewhere up past the Whitehouse pub and the Post Office. The latest development shouldn't even get a sniff of planning. Got to keep the Government contracts coming in though and the cement mixers turning.

Yes that is well built and looks good.

Built by Inghams, I think. smile.png

Is it called The Grove, or similar?

That was one of Jonathan Irving's efforts.

There was some tasteful regeneration in Peel, using traditional sandstone, just behind the promenade. I think it was done about twenty years ago. There's also a quite nice housing development in the town somewhere up past the Whitehouse pub and the Post Office. The latest development shouldn't even get a sniff of planning. Got to keep the Government contracts coming in though and the cement mixers turning.

Yes that is well built and looks good.

Built by Inghams, I think. smile.png

Is it called The Grove, or similar?

That was one of Jonathan Irving's efforts.

You mean I am wrong !!!!!!.

Will have to check, but I still think Inghams built it.

I thought Irving, under the name Street Heritage, painted everything orange that they built.

IF, however I am wrong, I will award Irving 20 plus points. He has about 2,000,000 minus points so far in my book.

Edited by dilligaf

Irving did some decent stuff in peel.

He did. Which is a pity, because the way he treated people over the music festival was f***ing terrible. That has tainted my view of him forever.

He will not be remembered for his building projects, it will be his poor treatment of thousands of decent people, that will be his epitaph.

peel is the best night out on the island right now

She's back is she?

• Like 1

He did. Which is a pity, because the way he treated people over the music festival was f***ing terrible. That has tainted my view of him forever.

He will not be remembered for his building projects, it will be his poor treatment of thousands of decent people, that will be his epitaph.

Fair point.

It's a shame. His building work in peel was always done well.

Fair point.

Yes, I liked the Long House project, which I think was his and the flats up near the Fisheries Chippy too.

Fair point.

Yes, I liked the Long House project, which I think was his and the flats up near the Fisheries Chippy too.

Dress a pig in a wedding dress - it's still a pig.

Few people who bought Irvings places would agree about the quality.

Inghams work was good, they did Charles Street

Fair point.

I agree with what he was trying to do, could do with more of that. Believe me though, the building work was not always well done.

He did to be fair and the area around the marina looks nice. There always has to be a balance between gentrification and cynical ripping the heart out of a place and Peel has it about right. It's got some nice pubs and new restaurants, and some stunning views in the evening, but it's still a very local Manx town with a diehard Manx character. It's sort of found its own balance. Unlike Douglas or Ramsey which have gone too far either way. Or Port Erin or Castletown which have gone backwards from where they used to be,

Someone here must know what the deal is/was involving Chinese granite? Please tell all.

Forget about sea levels rising, the Island is sinking under the weight of all the foreign granite.

How can it be good design practice to introduce foreign stone into the heart of every settlement of more than a dozen homes? Watch out Bride, Ballaugh, Ballasalla, Ballakillowey, and Ballakilpheric. There's been a deal agreed and more Chinese granite will have to be used.

What we need is a body set up to protect the Island's history and heritage, to object to this sort of urban vandalism. We could call it Manx Heritage.

Someone here must know what the deal is/was involving Chinese granite? Please tell all.

Forget about sea levels rising, the Island is sinking under the weight of all the foreign granite.

How can it be good design practice to introduce foreign stone into the heart of every settlement of more than a dozen homes? Watch out Bride, Ballaugh, Ballasalla, Ballakillowey, and Ballakilpheric. There's been a deal agreed and more Chinese granite will have to be used.

What we need is a body set up to protect the Island's history and heritage, to object to this sort of urban vandalism. We could call it Manx Heritage.

I recall an artist's impression of the regeneration for Peel and it involved sandstone pillars-because that was what people associate with Peel. But that idea seems to have disappeared without trace. I'm sure I didn't imagine it.