John Shimmin Leaving Politics

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good, he wont be missed   Horrible little man

Well at least he didn't 'leave politics' by retiring to the legislative council like the other cowardly gobshites have in the last year or two.

It's good that the dead wood are jumping, they'd never actually have to 'face the music' so, bye, innit?

I just don't think Allan Bell should be working in that role at nearly 70 years of age.

I suppose the problem is that you lose a lot of experience with a who raft of them retiring at the same time. I know they've mainly been distinctly average in their roles but the point stands.

EXPERIENCE!! at what? Ffs what a silly statement.

In fairness, experience in delivering Govt with disregard of democracy,courtesy,accountability,transparency fair taxation coupled with growing huge egos, delivering platitudes aplenty and a gluttonous appetite for gravy takes a bit of time to develop in a candidate.

Edited by Lisenchuk
  • Like 6

I just don't think Allan Bell should be working in that role at nearly 70 years of age.

I suppose the problem is that you lose a lot of experience with a who raft of them retiring at the same time. I know they've mainly been distinctly average in their roles but the point stands.

EXPERIENCE!! at what? Ffs what a silly statement.

For example, if you got involved could you imagine what an even bigger clusterfuck you would make of it?

• Like 1

Did Eddie mention at the PAG meeting why he won't tackle the pension issue?

Probably wants to keep that confidential.

Yes he did, quite open about it!

Explained why he can't address it at the pace 'we' would like him to. Believe it or not.

• Like 1

For Shimmin not to be the next Chief Minister comes as a surprise to me. I assumed that his previous resignation was made on the promise that he'd be reinstated fairly quickly and become CM designate.

What worries me now is that Shimmin knows something of what that future holds and no longer wants to be part of it.

• Like 3

For Shimmin not to be the next Chief Minister comes as a surprise to me. I assumed that his previous resignation was made on the promise that he'd be reinstated fairly quickly and become CM designate.

What worries me now is that Shimmin knows something of what that future holds and no longer wants to be part of it.

Some visionary he!

I am unsurprised by this. To answer those speculating about Bell and Teare, I think departures from politics in those cases are much less likely. Come September, Bell standing again is, I would say, better than 50% and in Teare's case a racing certainty. Both would, imo, be re-elected too. That won't please many posting on here but I think they are both strong on their home patches, even allowing for boundary changes. In Teare's case, I definitely see him pursuing appointment as CM.

At the last PAG meeting Eddie Teare said he didn't want to be chief minister.

I hope you didn't put money on it.

You're assuming he doesn't play the "Well, of course I didn't seek this office, but many people have approached me to stand and if I can serve the people of the Island blah blah blah" card.

Edit for typo.

Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 1

VAT announcement tomorrow, dept. of spin on standby.

• Like 1

Some visionary he!

I think the reason is much more prosaic; he'll have a tidy Tynwald pension now after 20 years and will be of an age (56?) to pull down his teaching pension too. Plenty of cash, none of the shite. "Ta-ra", says John. I agree that Shimmin (hated though he is by some on these pages) would make a better CM than many...including the current incumbent and his predecessor, the Member for Janet's Corner.

• Like 1

And at the budget before this last one he said he'd balanced the books.

But only on his head at that time.

• Like 2

VAT Sharing Agreement statement by Teare is item 2 on the Supplementary Order Paper.

And at the budget before this last one he said he'd balanced the books.

But only on his head at that time.

I never got how he could stand there and say he'd balanced the books, or even why he would want to say that. It just caused more grumbling about why were all the charges going on if the budget was balanced. I know he said the revenue budget was balanced but we still have a structural deficit, but that is just playing with words. Nothing is balanced if you have to pull down long millions from reserves to make it balance. That's just nonsense.

• Like 2