Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Oh Mona

Desperate tax or what?

Has anyone seen this in the Keys order paper for next week?

75A Rating of ruinous dwelling-houses A dwelling-house which has been rateable but which has ceased to be capable of habitation must notwithstanding any rule of practice to the contrary continue to be treated as a rateable hereditament for the purposes of any enactment relating to rating.

Are they going to rate ruins now or am I reading that wrong?

It's actually to stop people that let houses go to ruin in order to not pay rates on them. Quite a common problem over here, and it was covered by IOM newspapers twice in the past six months - of which I'm trying to find the articles for you, but I can't, curses.

Couldn't agree more. It's a great idea. They should be charged extra if anything.

Where do you draw the line on a ruin?

Where do you draw the line on a ruin?

Exactly, this could give scope for petty commissioners to get, err, petty, for whatever reasons they might have. They should mind their own business. Unless there is a safety risk to the general public.

Bleak house in Ramsey was one of the top of my head, I don't know if that's been resolved yet or not. I think the guy is back in court for something else this week

How silly of me, I thought if you owned a property you had to pay rates regardless.

Douglas council have a list of people they pick on, poor Helen is dead now so they've one less on their petty vendetta list. They leave their developer pals alone and pick at the people trying to keep up with the never ending house renovations, pointless bullying.

• Like 3

How silly of me, I thought if you owned a property you had to pay rates regardless.

That's what I thought. I certainly pay council tax on my property in England when it's empty, albeit at a reduced rate which is only fair what with it having no one in it to use services and stuff. I didn't know it was free on the island if it was uninhabitable. This all just smacks of property envy.

It's disgusting that the Govt have allowed rates to climb above rental income. If rental income were £1200 a month instead of £1200 a year and rates were not £14000 a year this problem would not arise?

Could there be another reason for a house being left to rot?

Douglas council have a list of people they pick on, poor Helen is dead now so they've one less on their petty vendetta list. They leave their developer pals alone and pick at the people trying to keep up with the never ending house renovations, pointless bullying.

It's aimed at people letting houses fall apart. What's the issue?

• Like 1

Have I misunderstood Kopek? Does anyone's house pay 14k per year?