Unleaded petrol

Afternoon all

Not after any opinion, unusual for this forum I know, but does anyone have any facts about the quality of petrol that is sold on island?

Is Regular unleaded any different to Super? Or is it the same fuel, labelled differently and sold at a higher price?

The common belief has been that Manx Petroleum is/was better than Ellan Vannin Fuels

I don't know if that is fact and any anecdotal evidence from me could be tainted by that information prior to testing

I was always under the impression that standard fuel is 95 Octane and the premium stuff is 98.

• Like 1

The common belief has been that Manx Petroleum is/was better than Ellan Vannin Fuels - I have this belief too, always have done

I don't know if that is fact and any anecdotal evidence from me could be tainted by that information prior to testing

I was always under the impression that standard fuel is 95 Octane and the premium stuff is 98. - 97/98, yep correct

Do you get more MPG?

I do Douglas to Castletown and back every weekday and would like to know if it might save a couple of quid.......

No. Higher octane makes no difference to an engine that runs fine on lower octane. Pretty much the sole purpose is cars that cannot run on lower octane without knocking.

• Like 2

The common belief has been that Manx Petroleum is/was better than Ellan Vannin Fuels - I have this belief too, always have done

I was always under the impression that standard fuel is 95 Octane and the premium stuff is 98. - 97/98, yep correct

I believe Manx Petroleums is 98/99 for Super. No concrete testing, just that a vehicle that had the ECU mapped to run on V-Power in the UK ran without knocking on Super here (knocking not reported by engine management nor by connecting knock headphones).

• Like 1

cheers all, EVF is handy for me at Union Mills but may have to go nearly a mile (shock horror I'm Manx that's too far) out of my way to get Manx pet fuel instead...

EVF at Union Mills? No. It's MP.

ianexitsunionmillsonhisisleofmanttlap.jp

Edited by woolley