Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
llap

Petition: Add Manx nationality option to the Isle of Man Census

I have put mine in the bin, and would urge every manx person to do the same, untill such time as the manx goverment ( come overs working in the manx goverment ) reconsise the manx identity.

You're an idiot. Just fill in the damn census and go protest something actually important.

Why dont you piss off back into your hole you dick head?

There could be those in our Government and ' high places ' ? Who will delight in the venom this is causing between the Manx and Non - Manx. ' Devide and Conquer ' and all that. Mabye we the commoners are again being used.

So, are you The Manx Peoples Front, or the Popular Front of Man(x).

• Like 1

Does this mean that the Manx Government does not exist???

Technically for the time being yes....Last I heard they were trying to make the Isle of Man Government a legal entity I believe...A legal person...A long time ago "Manx Ices" tried to sue the IOM Govt only to find that it had no existence....The departments do however... legally exist as entities that is...It has dragged on for many years and been done on here a few times....Got to end soon surely?

• Like 3

I see they wheeled out another 'expert' on constitutional politics for the Manx Radio news bulletin this lunchtime. She doesn't seem to understand the difference either, between political union and nationality. She even argued a comparison with one of the states of the USA but that argument stands even less scrutiny than previous attempts to deny our nationality.

• Like 1

I see they wheeled out another 'expert' on constitutional politics for the Manx Radio news bulletin this lunchtime. She doesn't seem to understand the difference either, between political union and nationality. She even argued a comparison with one of the states of the USA but that argument stands even less scrutiny than previous attempts to deny our nationality.

She was terrible. It was almost like she was reading from a script she had been given by whoever was seeking to justify the decision they made not to allow a place for any form of national identify box.

• Like 1

Even if it is just about the supplying of information you could argue that allowing people to express what their national identity is (like the Northern Irish, Welsh, or Scots above) might actually yield useful information for our Government.

That's true, especially as there isn't regular polling in the Island or regular tracking surveys such as British Social Attitudes. But it's probably not as useful as what they did ask, at least for the purposes of things that governments need to know. And I would hope that even our political leaders might have realised by now that many (most?) of us feel Manx.

But both questions would certainly be possible in a longer Census, though they would have to be asked to allow for multiple identities (options which many people chose in the English Census) as well as multiple Nationalities (which the Manx one should have allowed for).

Really this boils down to some pen pusher not using their common sense, or just acting as instructed by the UK census office, and not allowing Manx people an opportunity to express their sense of national identity. It would have taken 5 minutes to slip in a box. Even if they don't do anything with that data; allowing people to express that view in one box on a form might have shown the public that many of the English people inside our civil service and government at least acknowledge that a concept of being Manx exists. But quite clearly they didn't even think about it because it doesn't matter to them.

I doubt if they're operating under instructions from England because they made a mess of their Census by just asking about National Identity rather than Nationality instead of both. And if any group has been keen on declaring themselves Manx, it's been the upper reaches of the Civil Service - at least when it appeared that a more competent person from outside might get a well-paying job. Not that it stopped them employing all sorts of imported bullshit merchants when they felt like it.

Didn't fill mine in (completely forgot...!) - but technically I wasn't there on census night so doesn't matter? :zorro:

Your mistress should have added you to hers if you were stopping there overnight.
  • Like 2

The British have got into a lot of trouble for themselves dishing out their passports around the world in the last 70 years. You think they would have stopped by now.

The British have got into a lot of trouble for themselves dishing out their passports around the world in the last 70 years. You think they would have stopped by now.

Yeah. Feckin' eejits!