Post Office

Maxmann

The post office is an archaic, unionised, over-staffed, over managed and over-paid organisation that needs to drastically change. Their staff have increased as their market share has dropped. They serve themselves not the public. Other carriers deliver when people are at home 6 to 8pm and try again if they are out.

Privatise and modernise the post office.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Other carriers deliver when people are at home 6 to 8pm and try again if they are out.

Remind me, what are the delivery hours for DHL and UPS. How many times do they try. And, Hermes? They may throw stuff at your door at all odd times/days, but if they leave a card can you contact anyone to rearrange delivery.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Remind me, what are the delivery hours for DHL and UPS. How many times do they try. And, Hermes? They may throw stuff at your door at all odd times/days, but if they leave a card can you contact anyone to rearrange delivery.

You’re right. The post office in the field (ie, the post men and women) provide excellent service and most other couriers rely on slinging the package into your porch or wherever and then leaving a note which isn’t secure for high value packages or you then going to pick it up from their depot. Hermès are genuinely terrible and I assume the only reason they have the Amazon contract is the cost - low pricing and crap unpredictable service. I’d hate to see posties laid off in the clamour to ‘save’ more money as they do give very good service. But as usual you do worry that the end result will be exactly what’s happened elsewhere in IOMG - get rid of the workers and keep on all the shit overpaid managers overseeing the delivery of nothing as the service delivery they used to oversee has been removed to save costs. 

• Like 5

Anyone got the number for the MyHermes in Onchan/Peel etc?

(Typical Facebook post, Isle of Man)

I've never really had a problem with IoM post. This latest matter seems to be the fat cat management etc. grabbing the cash and getting on the Government ratchet racket of more pay/pension/pay-off.

• Like 4

I know that the cost of delivery is probably an issue for Amazon et al but why doesn't IOMPost bid for the contracts to deliver for these companies? Just because it's owned by the taxpayer shouldn't preclude it from entering into contracts with other commercial entities, should it? They already have the assets and manpower, seems a no-brainer to me.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

I know that the cost of delivery is probably an issue for Amazon et al but why doesn't IOMPost bid for the contracts to deliver for these companies? Just because it's owned by the taxpayer shouldn't preclude it from entering into contracts with other commercial entities, should it? They already have the assets and manpower, seems a no-brainer to me.  

Being run by overpaid, over-pensioned managers and directors on obscene salaries...I expect their bids might be a tad unrealistic...

download.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

See things are hotting up again with the Union now questioning the calibre of the Board members - https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/post-office-boards-credentials-questioned/

Hardly surprising really when I see that the recently appointed CEO has NO real business acumen, and despite his bloated CV on the post office website used to be a middle ranking IT Manager at Zurich Insurance (word on the street was they were glad to see the back of him there). I wouldn't be surprised if they have used that old trick to bring in someone purely short-term to be the fall guy when it all inevitably goes tits up. From what I've read, seen and heard, Mr Kneen is far from the heavyweight Board material you would expect in such a role.

Lisa Duckworth looks far more experienced and competent - so under normal circumstances she (from the outside at least) would have seen the more suited candidate to progress...hence my fall guy statement.

Time will tell, eh?

41 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

See things are hotting up again with the Union now questioning the calibre of the Board members - https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/post-office-boards-credentials-questioned/

Hardly surprising really when I see that the recently appointed CEO has NO real business acumen, and despite his bloated CV on the post office website used to be a middle ranking IT Manager at Zurich Insurance (word on the street was they were glad to see the back of him there). I wouldn't be surprised if they have used that old trick to bring in someone purely short-term to be the fall guy when it all inevitably goes tits up. From what I've read, seen and heard, Mr Kneen is far from the heavyweight Board material you would expect in such a role.

Lisa Duckworth looks far more experienced and competent - so under normal circumstances she (from the outside at least) would have seen the more suited candidate to progress...hence my fall guy statement.

Time will tell, eh?

Is he just somebody's mate and/or in the right circle too?

On 8/27/2018 at 7:56 AM, John Wright said:

Many companies would not deliver to the IOM if it were not for Hermes. The sites where many of our partners and wives buy most of their clothes for example. 

7 minutes ago, pongo said:

Many companies would not deliver to the IOM if it were not for Hermes. The sites where many of our partners and wives buy most of their clothes for example. 

Then use alternative companies who do, if not, then suffer at the hands of Hermes 

____^ ^____

\                /

::::::::::::

I