Post Office

Maxmann

1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

See things are hotting up again with the Union now questioning the calibre of the Board members - https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/post-office-boards-credentials-questioned/

Hardly surprising really when I see that the recently appointed CEO has NO real business acumen, and despite his bloated CV on the post office website used to be a middle ranking IT Manager at Zurich Insurance (word on the street was they were glad to see the back of him there). I wouldn't be surprised if they have used that old trick to bring in someone purely short-term to be the fall guy when it all inevitably goes tits up. From what I've read, seen and heard, Mr Kneen is far from the heavyweight Board material you would expect in such a role.

Lisa Duckworth looks far more experienced and competent - so under normal circumstances she (from the outside at least) would have seen the more suited candidate to progress...hence my fall guy statement.

Time will tell, eh?

The union will just, once more, talk their way into more staff reductions. The so called leaders won't suffer, but the posties will.

All these jobs in Gov need looking at and re-evaluating. The union's involvement will not help their members one bit.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, pongo said:

Many companies would not deliver to the IOM if it were not for Hermes. The sites where many of our partners and wives buy most of their clothes for example. 

Accepted. That wasn’t the point I was making however. Just pointing out how good, and reasonable the postal service is. I’d rather that stuff was sent by post, for the better service and reliability, even at a small cost premium.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Manx Bean said:

Lisa Duckworth looks far more experienced and competent - so under normal circumstances she (from the outside at least) would have seen the more suited candidate to progress...hence my fall guy statement.

Time will tell, eh?

“Lisa has worked for Isle of Man Post Office since 2002 and has extensive knowledge of the business and wider postal industry having undertaken a variety of roles during this time.”

Thats all that’s on the website so she doesn’t even seem to have a CV for someone of her alleged experience. All she has done is a “variety of roles” previously apparently. 

A postman told me a couple of years ago they had one floor manager on in the mail department per shift, now there were three and handling less post.   Does anyone know why the post office has to make a million pound payment to a government department every year, this year they were let off with half a million, if it was not for this payment everything would be ok.   Too many managers, the usual story but they are not the ones that will be culled.   If a business is failing surely it is not being run properly and therefore the those at the helm should take the first bullet, it is basically up to them to make it pay.  The mail may be going down but they must get payment for all the crap I get delivered by them.  And, if everyone is shopping online surely the parcel post must be benefiting?  Someone mentioned Hermes, there are so many complaints about them on Facebook it is a wonder they survive.   People also complain about the PO not leaving parcels, if you have a safe place such as garage or porch you can get a form from the PO and give them permission to leave it there, putting the onus on yourself of course.   It is mismanagement that is the problem.

• Like 5

We have 10,000 wankers on this island that need to understand financial reality.

What Charles Dickens said about money...

1. Mr Micawber's famous, and oft-quoted, recipe for happiness:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

Wake up wankers.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

A postman told me a couple of years ago they had one floor manager on in the mail department per shift, now there were three and handling less post.   Does anyone know why the post office has to make a million pound payment to a government department every year, this year they were let off with half a million, if it was not for this payment everything would be ok.   Too many managers, the usual story but they are not the ones that will be culled.   If a business is failing surely it is not being run properly and therefore the those at the helm should take the first bullet, it is basically up to them to make it pay.  The mail may be going down but they must get payment for all the crap I get delivered by them.  And, if everyone is shopping online surely the parcel post must be benefiting?  Someone mentioned Hermes, there are so many complaints about them on Facebook it is a wonder they survive.   People also complain about the PO not leaving parcels, if you have a safe place such as garage or porch you can get a form from the PO and give them permission to leave it there, putting the onus on yourself of course.   It is mismanagement that is the problem.

Your right that its management I think. If a business is failing it’s due to the strategic failure of its management team - and with the Post Office that isn’t down to the postmen and women delivering mail it’s down to the management structure that doesn’t seem to be able to find the right strategy to make money. It also seems to manage its sub post office leases and property interests appallingly. DHL seem to manage and so do about 6 or 7 other privately owned courier firms who have contracts to deliver mail to the IOM so it’s hard to see why they shouldn’t be turfing out management first. Paying someone £120,000 a year to run a failing business is just dead money. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 2112 said:

Guess who’s sticking his oar in? The Man of the People, and all round ‘good guy’.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/negotiate-not-strike-cretney/

Ha ha, the grinning ex postie himself

He is right about not striking but what they have to negotiate with is beyond me

Edited by dilligaf
spelling

14 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Paying someone £120,000 a year to run a failing business is just dead money. 

But is it true they're not just paying one person £120k a year to run a failing business? They're paying two. £120k each.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Ha ha, the grinning ex postie himself

He is right about not striking but what they have to negotiate with is beyond me

they have fuck all to negotiate with, zilch, I heard there were 30 + managers up there,are our leaders totally of their collective rockers letting these people of the hook by not insisting on a fucking clearout of major proportions. ha ha ha ha,i believe they are talking about disrupting the Christmas post,thats not leverage that's cutting the nose of to spite their face,fucking greedy bastards even want to keep the "easy six" on a Saturday,sack 50% of them and see how things go from there.

It's not the posties that's the problem (IMHO and I'm not one, or related), it's the tiers of management that's sprouted from the top down (and where have we heard this before?). Let's have a FOI request on the structure and salary rates please.

If the postie's first shift starts at 6am and finishes at 2pm(?) and they want to go out and cut grass in the afternoon as a second job, so what?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's not the posties that's the problem (IMHO and I'm not one, or related), it's the tiers of management that's sprouted from the top down (and where have we heard this before?). Let's have a FOI request on the structure and salary rates please.

If the postie's first shift starts at 6am and finishes at 2pm(?) and they want to go out and cut grass in the afternoon as a second job, so what?

Speaking with a few posties I’d say that most of them think the way the rosters work is nice work if you can get it and will be coming to an end. But the biggest issue by far is the management. I bet you that if they just let Many Indy or DHL run the Post Office it would be returning £4M to IOMG and not being let off it’s dividend. It’s just bad business practices and poor strategy. The world has gone virtual and honestly if they can’t make money off the fact that everyone shops on line and parcel traffic has exploded then they need to give up trying and just substantially downsize. 

14 minutes ago, LightBulb said:
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, Derek Flint said:

I've just completed my online submission. 

separating IOMPO from IOMG and any Tynwald interference is well overdue. 

Do the IOMG pay the IOMPO for handling the all vehicle licences, or do they do it for free ?

The Post Office could never stand on it's own feet FFS. It has been propped up by the Philatelic side for decades.

Post, like telegrams is dead in the water. The Post Office missed the boat with internet sales and should have had Amazon and the like sewn up effing years ago.

But it just sits there waiting for work to come to it because the Gov own it and the jobs are /were for life.

Clear out time is now, same as it should be for many other groups in Gov.

Lightbulb, you do realise that the PO is Gov owned yeah ?

Edited by dilligaf