Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Redundant

Foul language and it's usage...

There was a programme on recently about naval recruits. An officer was giving the youngsters a dressing down and every other word was fuck. What kind of example is that? I thought he was a disgrace to the service.

Gettafa had it nailed on when he said it's the silent comma

it's a replacement for saying "erm"

Quite possibly. I think it's generally accepted that comments in e-mails and forums etc are more likely to be misinterpreted or misunderstood and more likely to cause offence or even hurt than if spoken out loud, as such it would be reasonable to argue that the use of swear words in the written form would be the lesser. Would it be fair therefore to argue that there usage, particularly when not particularly relevant, is intended to offend?

It's difficult to convey emotion and feeling through text (difficult, not impossible). Swearing can be a good mechanism to do just that. Well, swearing and a shitload of stupid fucking emoticons.

Well that sounds as if the written word has had its day and potential authors may as well pack up their pens.

Is swearing on forums only used under the protective cloak of anonymity?

Would the obscenity users post under their own names?

Is it just posted to add a touch of forum tough guy/gal credibility?

Are people suffering from Coprolalia?

I used to find the use of foul language offensive on here, but now I find it rather fascinating.

Wow, and yes I did have to look up Coprolalia. I don't find it offensive, I find it wasteful, pointless and not particularly humorous and I truly do struggle to see why anyone bothers, except when it makes a significant point.

• Like 1

hopefully hillsheperd will be along shortly to add some balance to your argument redundo

Go fuck yourself,howzat.

Predictable?

• Like 1

There was a programme on recently about naval recruits. An officer was giving the youngsters a dressing down and every other word was fuck. What kind of example is that? I thought he was a disgrace to the service.

Quite possibly. I think it's generally accepted that comments in e-mails and forums etc are more likely to be misinterpreted or misunderstood and more likely to cause offence or even hurt than if spoken out loud, as such it would be reasonable to argue that the use of swear words in the written form would be the lesser. Would it be fair therefore to argue that there usage, particularly when not particularly relevant, is intended to offend?

Hey there Redundant are you a fucking shrink or something ?

Edited by hillshepherd

"Hey there Redundant are youna fucking shrink or something ?"

Argumentum ad hominem part three, no I'm not a shrink but I am something, just not something that would start a discussion on foul language and its usage for professional reasons. Curious perhaps, bored probably, fond of language less befouled probably, rotund almost certainly.

Edited by Redundant

I think it is part of the evolution of the written form via electronic medium to more closely resemble how we speak rather than a formal written approach that we were taught in school

• Like 1

I think it is part of the evolution of the written form via electronic medium to more closely resemble how we speak rather than a formal written approach that we were taught in school

Which is the reflection of reality argument I mentioned earlier, I think Addie's points earlier are more probably more likely, particularly in relation to anonymity.

Swearing is great, but there's a time and a place for it. Some people just don't seem to understand that.

Yo* s*lly cunt.

The op has answered his own question by being so effected and/or outraged that he has started a thread.

I'm more outraged by people using the wrong words in a sentence. It's 'affected' not 'effected' above.

At the time I thought about that but laziness prevented me from bothering to look it up. So can I just concur with MTP above....... I think you're a s*lly cunt.

(smile.png)

Which reminds me of a chap in the Courts (true story btw) who was being dealt with by Mr Moyle. The chap was unhappy at his punishment and asked the High Bailiff if he could call him a cunt. HB said yes he could if he wished but he would be dealt with severely for contempt of court. The chap, unperturbed, asked if he could think he was a cunt then. HB paused a second or two and said "you can think whatever you like".

"Well then" the chap said, "I think you're a cunt"

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 4

At least the joke's funny. There was a similar one that did the rounds in the Royal Navy, Jack the Lad is up before the Skipper, but won't stand still, keeps leaning over from side to side, crouching, turning to look behind him. Eventually the Skipper loses the plot and asks him what he is looking for

"Justice" replied Jack

Edited by Redundant

It's difficult to convey emotion and feeling through text (difficult, not impossible). Swearing can be a good mechanism to do just that. Well, swearing and a shitload of stupid fucking emoticons.

Well that sounds as if the written word has had its day and potential authors may as well pack up their pens.

Is swearing on forums only used under the protective cloak of anonymity?

Would the obscenity users post under their own names?

Is it just posted to add a touch of forum tough guy/gal credibility?

Are people suffering from Coprolalia?

I used to find the use of foul language offensive on here, but now I find it rather fascinating.

I wasn't implying the written word has had it's day, I believe it's enhanced by colourful expressions and playful language. As far as anonymity goes, I use the same style of posting on Facebook and regularly spout Fucks and Shits(!!) in my everyday conversations depending on who I'm talking to (never to my mother though, she'd rip me to pieces).

I suppose the forum moderates itself in terms of what's deemed acceptable language, what you permit will continue and those that are genuinely offended by such language can and often will fuck off. It finds it's own level.

"I suppose the forum moderates itself in terms of what's deemed acceptable language, what you permit will continue and those that are genuinely offended by such language can and often will fuck off. It finds it's own level."

Again this misses the point, I haven't suggested swearing in the various topics is either acceptable or unacceptable or that it is offensive. I have suggested it's tedious, boring and I'll add inane.

I have only one other topic posted so far, and that was pretty interesting, at least for me, and inbetween times on that topic I've wandered through the various forums and I have found some very good posts, lots of them in fact, but virtually every one of them also has fatuous posts which largely consist of very few words and those are mostly swear words. It gets boring very quickly to have to skim past those to get to the next relevant post.

I suspect I have one more new topic to do, which will be about Manx Politics and then if I choose I can do what you suggest and f**k off, but not because of the language, but for the time it wastes.

In an ideal world there would be forums where people posted serious and not so serious posts and like minded people posted their comments/replies etc. There would also be other forums where similarly like minded individuals could curse and swear and call each other names, we could call that the "Nursery" forum. That is not to restrict the former from foul language but perhaps restrict said language by relevance, it would not restrict argument or debate but might restrict argumentum ad hominem [and yes I am playing at how many times I can use that].

But of course this is not an ideal world, it's far less than that, this was [and is whilst it dies] a semi serious attempt to discuss the use of foul language in the written form, its relevance, its impact, its positives and its negatives.