Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Redundant

Foul language and it's usage...

Redundant, I wasn't suggesting you can fuck off, I was trying to say people have the choice and some often do as they feel it isn't the kind of place they wish to be. And for heavens sake! Will you stop swapping out uc with *'s, you're fingers won't explode if you type the whole word, it may even feel good!

I was responding to Addie mainly as he/she had a view as to the offensive nature of the language and anonymity.

It's difficult to convey emotion and feeling through text (difficult, not impossible). Swearing can be a good mechanism to do just that. Well, swearing and a shitload of stupid fucking emoticons.

Well that sounds as if the written word has had its day and potential authors may as well pack up their pens.

Is swearing on forums only used under the protective cloak of anonymity?

Would the obscenity users post under their own names?

Is it just posted to add a touch of forum tough guy/gal credibility?

Are people suffering from Coprolalia?

I used to find the use of foul language offensive on here, but now I find it rather fascinating.

I wasn't implying the written word has had it's day, I believe it's enhanced by colourful expressions and playful language. As far as anonymity goes, I use the same style of posting on Facebook and regularly spout Fucks and Shits(!!) in my everyday conversations depending on who I'm talking to (never to my mother though, she'd rip me to pieces).

I suppose the forum moderates itself in terms of what's deemed acceptable language, what you permit will continue and those that are genuinely offended by such language can and often will fuck off. It finds it's own level.

So, you use bad language depending upon to whom you're talking?

The fact is, nobody knows who they're communicating with on here. It could be your mother, your boss, your children etc. So why do people adopt the lower level of communication as their default position?

It's also a default position for many to tell those who don't like gratuitous foul language, that they can always (insert random obscenity here) off. It's the written obscenity equivalent of the well-worn there's a boat in the morning comment. Or, simply the verbal equivalent of dog muck.

PS Your mother sounds great.

Cue usual culprits' predictable responses

• Like 1

Redundant, I wasn't suggesting you can fuck off, I was trying to say people have the choice and some often do as they feel it isn't the kind of place they wish to be. And for heavens sake! Will you stop swapping out uc with *'s, you're fingers won't explode if you type the whole word, it may even feel good!

I was responding to Addie mainly as he/she had a view as to the offensive nature of the language and anonymity.

Never thought you were suggesting that directly wasp, and my apologies if it read that way, proves my earlier point about the written word being more easily understood! As for ** - I prefer those and free speech gives both of us the choice.

• Like 1

i'm not sure i agree. most things are skim read (by me anyway), so swear words are generally not even picked up on by myself. until someone inserts an asterix, forcing me to translate and then see the vulgarity contained within

• Like 1

Addie: I must admit I do curb my language depending on who I'm talking to mainly out of respect, which kind of goes against my default position of going for it on a forum full of anonymous users. I guess when you don't know who anyone is you feel more detached, it's extremely flawed reasoning but I'm a human being, I'm flawed and full of contradictions. At least I'm trying to be an honest human being though flowers.gif

If I do swear it's not meant in an aggressive manner, I would even argue against it being crude.

I'll pass on your remarks, my mother will think it's brilliant that someone off the Internet thinks she sounds great! She's in her eighties, it'll make her day!

• Like 1

i'm not sure i agree. most things are skim read (by me anyway), so swear words are generally not even picked up on by myself. until someone inserts an asterix, forcing me to translate and then see the vulgarity contained within

There you go Redundant, turns out you're actually the worst offender out of any of us! ;)

• Like 1

Each to his own, nice twist on the asterisk but technically the vulgarity is implied, not within.

I think he's saying the asterisk act as a big neon sign drawing his attention to your implied vulgarity. You ought to be ashamed of yourself!

• Like 1

Big neon sign seems a bit of a stretch, however I am sympathetic so here's a list of comments that will be adopted and should be disregarded immediately on sight:

Bar steward

Gosh darn it

D*mn

Oops

F**k

Rollocks

Kant

Whoops [Oops x 10]

• Like 1

Good God! It's as if you actually put the shotgun barrel in TSE's mouth yourself. I hope you feel good about yourself!

• Like 2

I hadn't realised I was such a t*at... I remain humbled, ashamed and moribund, clearly there is no redemption for f**kwit such as myself.

I think it is part of the evolution of the written form via electronic medium to more closely resemble how we speak rather than a formal written approach that we were taught in school

I associate evolution with progress and improvement. What has happened to the standard of the spoken and written word in my lifetime doesn't fit the bill.

• Like 1

I think he's saying the asterisk act as a big neon sign drawing his attention to your implied vulgarity. You ought to be ashamed of yourself!

Would one use a GARCH or EWMA model to convert the implied into realised vulgarity?

I'll get my coat.