Councillor Dog Poo

GaryPotter

There was a big picture a couple of years ago showing the 6 inspectors/wardens of Douglas Corporation who were going to clean the town up, anybody dropping litter or their dog fouling the street and not picking it up will be prosecuted .

Since then I have seen only one of this band of brothers in Harrys Café, one in a wardens van parked outside the Manx Legion Club across the no parking entrance, and as for the others, well, must be keeping the kettle boiling in the Town Hall.

It must be time the newspapers got down there for another publicity photo shoot.

Ask your Councillor who is going the rounds for re-election how many prosecutions have taken place, and the dates, the Town Hall should have the figures, oh and just where do these people patrol?.

There was a big picture a couple of years ago showing the 6 inspectors/wardens of Douglas Corporation who were going to clean the town up, anybody dropping litter or their dog fouling the street and not picking it up will be prosecuted .

Since then I have seen only one of this band of brothers in Harrys Café, one in a wardens van parked outside the Manx Legion Club across the no parking entrance, and as for the others, well, must be keeping the kettle boiling in the Town Hall.

It must be time the newspapers got down there for another publicity photo shoot.

Ask your Councillor who is going the rounds for re-election how many prosecutions have taken place, and the dates, the Town Hall should have the figures, oh and just where do these people patrol?.

Only four here but a very impressive remit for fighting enviro-crime.

As you say it would be interesting to know how many prosecutions they have brought forward.

I'll ask the candidates when they come knock for my vote.

http://www.douglas.gov.im/index.php/services/wardens#.VxoSda4TCz4

Edited by Moghrey Mie

Who has seen the £120,000 chewing gum machine in action? http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/bid_to_beat_a_sticky_problem_1_3120901

It's safely stored in a secret government warehouse with all their other bad buys, such as the 5000 tins of Tartan paint, boxes of left-handed screwdrivers, glass hammers...and of course that cursed mayoral chain which seemed to change anyone that wore it into a babbling fool, a bit like the replacement chain.

post-10616-0-17434500-1461394914_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

What it is right ... The council are shit - discussion ends smile.png

They are all shit. With the new edition (and lone dog poo strategy supporter) being shitter than most of them in there already. I've given up on politics. It's all going to end horribly for everyone. I'm convinced of that now. It doesn't really matter how shit they are because we are even shitter for letting them get away with it. Most of them are getting in unopposed as well.

That is the saddest part, isn't it? Look at Onchan to start with. Cat Turner is useless too IMO.

• Like 1

Only four here but a very impressive remit for fighting enviro-crime.

As you say it would be interesting to know how many prosecutions they have brought forward.

I'll ask the candidates when they come knock for my vote.

http://www.douglas.gov.im/index.php/services/wardens#.VxoSda4TCz4

Indeed there seems little appetite from the Corporations enforcement team to deliver tangible outcomes - not only with dog fouling but in general. Figures for fixed penalty and actual prosecutions would no doubt be underwhelming, bordering on absurd.

The Councillors don't seem to know either. From the Minutes of last July's Environmental Committee:

A8. Environmental Campaigns 2015/2016

[...] Members then discussed the regime for enforcing regulations on dog fouling and litter. Members commented that there have been few (if any) prosecutions for dog fouling. Members expressed a wish to see on-the-spot fines for dog fouling. Officers advised that Fixed Penalty Notices are issued for littering and that the Council policy has been to seek court prosecutions for dog fouling. Members were advised that the same evidence is required for either action; and that previously it has been the Council’s policy to seek prosecutions because court actions are publicly reported. There was some further discussion regarding the enforcement options available to the Council. The Assistant Chief Officer (Corporate and Development)[1] advised that the Council is seeking a change to primary legislation to increase the enforcement options available to local authorities.

Members agreed that Fixed Penalty Notices should be issued for dog fouling, instead of seeking court prosecutions.

Of course there would be nothing to stop the Council issuing the names of those people who they had issued fines to for dog-fouling (or to stop the papers reporting them) with no need for prosecutions and the associated expense - unless the accused challenged it. But that doesn't seem to have occurred to them.

As to the brave band of brothers, it appears the Committee were equally puzzled as to what they got up to:

The Chair [McNicholl] proposed that he accompany the Borough Wardens on their rounds for a full day to see what they do. Officers advised that the Chief Executive was very unlikely to agree with this proposal. [2]The Chair took a vote of Members, who all agreed that he should go round with the Wardens for a full day.

[my bold]

Whether either of these attempts to tell the Town Clerk what to do (rather than meekly rubber-stamping her whims) ever came to anything I don't know.

[1] I've no idea what such a title implies that a person does. I suppose that's the idea.

[2] Presumably they were worried about lack of space in Harry's Cafe.

(Edited to add link)

Edited by Roger Mexico

I think there was an earlier photo than that one, because the one who left the wardens van in front of the Manx Legion was a woman, a film of her standing on the steps of the Town hall greeting the Beegees when they came here must be around somewhere, did anybody take a copy.

As for the other warden, maybe he left shortly after, but there were 6.