Ramsey Pier Community Trust

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Agreed. There are some bitter and sad twats on here.   How the fuck can anyone be negative to the Queens Pier project? It's a truly wonderful piece of the Isle of Man's heritage and it's already

It's symbolic - the gates are open and the keys are in the hands of people willing to work towards fixing it rather than just left to rot.   Small acorns lead to giant oaks.

I am thankful for people of vision who act rather than type things on web forums, and I will be devoting time and work to this project as it hopefully moves forward.   The first stage is a survey to

Posted Images

I'm sure there are lots of ideas in the pipeline for fundraising, some of them might even involve that little thing called having fun.

Wait and see mode for me, there's plenty of time to go yet.

Deep water versions of tin bath racing and human powered flight off the end of the pier!! Combined with lifeboat demos......

....or seeing as how this is a project that should actually improve the South prom and with no brown envelopes flying around, we could organize a game of ''find the Ramsey town commissioner'' .

My little pearl of wisdom on how to raise funding would be to have people donate for the attaching of Brass Commemorative plaques to each board.

I saw this done on a Pier in the UK several years ago and it made quite a lot of money(About 100 pounds per plaque I) towards the cost of the refurbishment I believe !

• Like 2

My little pearl of wisdom on how to raise funding would be to have people donate for the attaching of Brass Commemorative plaques to each board.

I saw this done on a Pier in the UK several years ago and it made quite a lot of money(About 100 pounds per plaque I) towards the cost of the refurbishment I believe !

You have to very careful about this sort of fundraising. There's a story that when the Labour Party refurbished their headquarters back in the 80s, you could contribute by paying £1 and have your name inscribed on a brick. Unfortunately it cost more than £1 to engrave the brick. So if inscribed brass plaques cost £90 plus VAT ...

Possibly http://www.southwoldpier.co.uk/

There was a good turnout at the unlocking ceremony yesterday. If everyone that turned up offers to help in one way or another then this really does stand a good chance of happening.

Lots to be done though and proper thought needs to go into it all but if the right people get on board and stay committed, there is no reason at all why it can't happen.

I lived on the Isle of Wight for 5 years, during that time one of the piers over there was restored and people were able to buy a plank (or as many as they liked) and have their name carved into it. This might be a cheaper option than the brass plaques maybe?

• Like 3

50 people for this is not a good turnout.

where did you pluck that figure from?

They needed at least 1000 to turn up if this is ever going to happen.

Sorry, but that's the truth of it.

ETA: Unless they've found a HNWI.

Edited by Tweek