Developer Blow For Government

Donald Trumps

Disappointed, the government is having to advertise again for a development partner

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/blow-for-government-as-it-has-to-advertise-again-for-a-developer-in-central-douglas-1-7890230

Personally I'd put Murray Lambden in charge of greening all the open space around Lord St and along the prom

Put in a commuter tram way & start building liner docking facilities

It's hardly surprising that they can't find a developer to touch this with a barge pole. Do you think anyone in the DOI ever wakes up and wonders where money comes from? They don't seem to realize that companies have to make money from projects and developments they fund. If they can't make money then they don't want to build big empty buildings just for the hell of it like the DOI seems to want them to.

• Like 4

Hardly a surprise, really. It doesn't need a big swanky development, just low key development, perhaps focusing on housing (not high value) and creating a community there. You know, to replace the one, including the charitable widows' housing, that used to be there. I can't remember what it was called, but it was a little cluster of small homes with a plaque explaining what it was all about. Funnily enough, the union offices there replaced many of the houses.

• Like 2

Hardly a surprise, really. It doesn't need a big swanky development, just low key development, perhaps focusing on housing (not high value) and creating a community there. You know, to replace the one, including the charitable widows' housing, that used to be there. I can't remember what it was called, but it was a little cluster of small homes with a plaque explaining what it was all about. Funnily enough, the union offices there replaced many of the houses.

They don't want housing though. The DOI want big empty landmark offices and hotels so that they can pretend that theyre all terribly important even if they're lying empty for the next 25 years.

• Like 3

Well, I want to be the 'significant other' to Rik Mayall, (oops, he's dead) or Alan Rickman (oops, he is dead too), so I have to live with what is achievable and make the best of it. Perhaps, I will be very happy being the SO to Johnny Vegas. He's not flash or polished, but he makes me laugh and I reckon he has a few years left in him yet. So, by analogy, perhaps Govt should be seeking out a low key development, not a show stopper, but one that can be guaranteed to perform honestly and fairly, even if a little lumpy and unsophisticated, but will still be around after the glitz has ended?

• Like 5

They don't want housing though. The DOI want big empty landmark offices and hotels so that they can pretend that theyre all terribly important even if they're lying empty for the next 25 years.

True but it's financial too. Government has been counting, perhaps spending, the expected financial benefits of these landmark offices and hotels for decades. It's hard to let go of. The disappointment is palpable. That's why we don't have a low key development. Some people are not ready to let go of the dream. The next one could be the one, boys.

• Like 1

We've still got our pessimism though! Thank god!

The only frivolity is the 'Winter Garden' thingy

The other buildings may not be as in the artists impressions but then, they never are.

The viability? Hmmmmmm.

Edited by Kopek

Well, isn't it better than blind optimism?

It's not even that; it's using optimism at the right time. Sausage made the comparison with St Helier above. The Jersey main quay area was done at the right time. It's a mix of nice apartments, nice bars and restaurants, a few big good quality hotels, some good quality office accommodation, and a smattering of reasonable retail outlets leading off into the main streets (even a nice indoor bus station!). We were too busy growing the public sector and investing in vanity projects when Walpole Avenue and the bus station should have been done 15 years ago when we could have filled the space as the economy was still expanding. Now it's just an idiotic vanity project so detached from reality that the public simply can't buy into it. All we can do is vanity projects; we seem to fail to be able to invest sensibly and organically as and when we need to in order to create momentum for an expanding economy.

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2

Well, I want to be the 'significant other' to Rik Mayall, (oops, he's dead) or Alan Rickman (oops, he is dead too), so I have to live with what is achievable and make the best of it. Perhaps, I will be very happy being the SO to Johnny Vegas. He's not flash or polished, but he makes me laugh and I reckon he has a few years left in him yet. So, by analogy, perhaps Govt should be seeking out a low key development, not a show stopper, but one that can be guaranteed to perform honestly and fairly, even if a little lumpy and unsophisticated, but will still be around after the glitz has ended?

the car parks they are probably make more money with almost zero costs than any money loosing development.

• Like 1