King Bill's digital detox

King Bill's is having a digital detox day:

College readies itself for digital detox

http://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/college-readies-itself-for-digital-detox/

Students and staff do without gadgets

Pupils, staff and parents at King Williams College will be giving up technology today (4 May) as part of a 'digital detox' day.

From 8.30 am, the whole college will go without mobile phones, tablets, laptops, email, Facebook and Twitter to encourage social interaction.

Meanwhile this Californian school, popular with silicon valley tecchies, has been 'no tech' for years:

Silicon Valley school with no computers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUxLKik3zNA

Published on 13 Mar 2012

CNN's Dan Simon reports on a school that uses a no-technology approach and how it's attractive to high-tech parents.

Thought provoking, to say the least, that immersing children in technology might actually be the wrong thing to do . . .

Edited by Cronky

Fortune magazine - The 6 Most Important Tech Trends

No. 6

Fixing education using tech: Everybody knows that every student learns differently, said Schmidt. But computers can help change education so that it’s the most efficient and effective for everyone. Computing technology can easily monitor how students learn and then identify the most effective teaching methods for each one of them. We need to create more tools to help teachers augment their teaching and make education more effective, said Schmidt

http://fortune.com/2016/05/02/eric-schmidts-6-tech-trends/?platform=hootsuite

• Like 1

24 hours - pah!!

It's like someone being sponsored for an ice-bucket challenge or whatever. It's all a jolly good wheeze in one short sharp dose.

Try a week. 2 or 3 days even.The precious things will be crawling up the wall.

• Like 2

24 hours - pah!!

It's like someone being sponsored for an ice-bucket challenge or whatever. It's all a jolly good wheeze in one short sharp dose.

Try a week. 2 or 3 days even.The precious things will be crawling up the wall.

And that's just the teachers.

Sounds like the idea of a twerp. Agree wholeheartedly with the previous comments,but make it a whole month. Yet another half witted attempt at a feckless experiment from and including people bereft of any common sense

I think you've missed the point of the day. My friend sent me a copy of the letter the parents received, she thought it was a good idea and wanted us to try it too, I lasted until about 11am...then my boss made me turn my computer on :)

"The aim of this initiative is to highlight our increasing reliance on technology and help us to

reflect on the impact that this has upon our day to day behaviour." - an extract from the letter parents were sent.

If the power station went down for a week, we'd be back in the stone age. 95% of people wouldn't be able to work,cook or communicate after a few days. Even most gas appliances and oil boilers need an electrical supply to start up.

But on the bright side it isn't likely, and we're not all in fields up to our necks in shit working for some tyrant land owner.

I prefer technology.

The 'irony', which the piece on the Silicon Valley School highlights, is that the generation that created the digitial revolution were not educated by it.

The concern is that children who are immersed in too much technology are not as well educated as the generations that were more traditionally educated.

Worth a discussion?

• Like 1