"Unrelenting" bully Houghton

Past member of "The best club in the world" fame voices his opinion on the matter. Another one who should keep his trap shut.

http://www.isleofman.com/News/details/68093/keys-expulsion-justified-says-former-tynwald-president

Now judging scarecrow competitions in Colby.

To be fair he's usually pretty funny at the Laa Columb auction

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My reading of it is different from JAB...   In 2010 a Member of Staff (MSA) objects to being challenged about their work standards and puts in an accusation of their manager Mrs L bullying them.  

Needs a new thread, but fuck it, put it in bold:   From Manx Radio:   The chief minister has described the suspension of an MHK from Tynwald this week as one of the lowest points in his political

Whatever you think of Houghton (not much I suspect for many of us) this sort of disciplinary action is a dangerous interference in democracy. Under New Labour English Councils had to set up Standards

Posted Images

Past member of "The best club in the world" fame voices his opinion on the matter. Another one who should keep his trap shut.http://www.isleofman.com/News/details/68093/keys-expulsion-justified-says-former-tynwald-president

Now judging scarecrow competitions in Colby.

To be fair he's usually pretty funny at the Laa Columb auction

Funny hilarious, or 'funny'?

Still lots of unanswered questions,

It is Tynwald that has banned him, not the Keys?

Therefore, I would expect to see him on Tuesday morning in the Keys.

I guess his departmental will also continue

Interesting point.

Well it is supposedly a tricameral system, so just Tynwald?

Still lots of unanswered questions,

It is Tynwald that has banned him, not the Keys?

Therefore, I would expect to see him on Tuesday morning in the Keys.

I guess his departmental will also continue

I don't know exactly what happened in Tynwald and it may be that Houghton's suspension happened under some specific motion that added extra penalties, but according to Tynwald Standing Orders:

Offences against Standing Orders

3.33 (1) Should a Member abuse Standing Orders by –

(a) persistently and wilfully obstructing the business of Tynwald; or

(b) disorderly conduct; or

© persistent interruption; or

(d) disregarding the authority of the Chair

the President may, after formal warning, order the Member to withdraw immediately from Tynwald for the remainder of that day's sitting.

(2) If the President considers the powers under paragraph (1) inadequate –

(a) the President may name the Member, whereupon

(b) the Speaker of the House of Keys shall move “That ... be suspended from the service of Tynwald” and

© the President shall forthwith put such motion, no amendment, adjournment or debate being allowed.

(3) The suspension of a Member shall –

(a) on the first occasion, be for the remainder of the sittings during that month; and

(b) on any subsequent occasion, continue until Tynwald resolves that it be terminated.

(4) A suspension under paragraph (3) shall not extend to sittings of the Member’s Branch nor meetings of the committees of that Branch.

(5) A Member who has been asked to withdraw or who has been suspended from the service of Tynwald shall forthwith withdraw from the precincts of Tynwald. Standing Orders of Tynwald Court

(6) Nothing in this Standing Order shall deprive Tynwald of any other power of proceeding against a Member.

So unless there was separate action under (6), under (4) Houghton would still be able to attend Keys and presumably still be paid.

it does seem like a stich up..

For that to be true it's a stitch up involving The Speaker, 1st, 2nd, 3rd clerks, the replacement 3rd clerk, The Standards Comittee, the AG, the people who investigated Houghton's two vexatious complaints about the clerk & deputy, Wild, all the Tynwald members who voted against him. Over many months.

You don't need to go to that much trouble to make Houghton look bad.

Roger the motion was.

"That, under Schedule 1 paragraph 4.3A of the Standing Orders of Tynwald Court, Mr Houghton is required to apologise."

Whatever para 4.3a says is the authority they had against him.

• Like 2

It says -

"Tynwald may, on the recommendation of the Committee, require a Member to apologize for inappropriate conduct. In cases where a Member refuses to do so, or apologizes in a way which is unacceptable in the view of the President, the Member should be suspended until he/she complies properly with the Order of Tynwald."

• Like 1

As H.O.K. is a branch of Tynwald, I assume he'll not be allowed to sit in Keys either. Which begs the question of whether he can fulfil his elected duties as an MHK. Bit too close to the long summer holidays and election in September I guess, otherwise a by-election might have been the answer.

Past member of "The best club in the world" fame voices his opinion on the matter. Another one who should keep his trap shut.

http://www.isleofman.com/News/details/68093/keys-expulsion-justified-says-former-tynwald-president

He was talking in 2014, about another occasion when Houghton got himself banned.

Seems Houghton's pathetic performance has fooled a lot of people. He created a lot of hot air. Blamed everyone but himself, challenged the system, accused people of bias against him. But there was not an ounce of contrition, in fact there was no sense that he thought he had made any mistakes.

If you set out to help a staff person, but at every turn you make that situation worse. End up putting in complaints about senior staff members that failed. Fall out with a Tynwald colleague. Get referred to the Standards Committee. Receive a damning report on your behaviour from fellow members. Tynwald read that report, agree that you've behaved badly, vote that you should apologise. And nowhere do you think that there might be something in your behaviour could have been better. If there was a moment's contrition, if he'd only met them part way, apologised a bit for some errors, I bet half of Tynwald wouldn't have voted against him. Well he's got some time for self-reflection, let's hope he learns from it.

He will not learn a single thing from it. Because he's a stupid, nasty cunt.

Surely the answer would have been to go with the amendment and hold a separate independent investigation to finalise the whole sorry farce ! Some of the statements made during yesterdays sitting were quite frankly exceedingly childish and showed Tynwald up for what it is.

On a constitutional note, if JH is not permitted to enter the Tynwald building how can he then represent his electorate properly ?

As H.O.K. is a branch of Tynwald, I assume he'll not be allowed to sit in Keys either. Which begs the question of whether he can fulfil his elected duties as an MHK. Bit too close to the long summer holidays and election in September I guess, otherwise a by-election might have been the answer.

Peter Karran raised the concern that he could be suspended until the next election, then get reelected and still be suspended.

Maybe then he could issue a politician's apology "after a period of reflection, during which I was gratified to receive the support of North Douglas voters, I recognise that in my desire to assist a vulnerable staff member I may have been over-zealous in my pursuit of justice and on occasion my sincere desire to help this person caused unintended consequences. I apologise if anyone feels I caused distress to them whilst assisting this vulnerable staff member."

New house, new mandate for John Houghton, they'll accept it, "draw a line under the matter, lessons learned moving forward"

• Like 1

I think you assume too much.

I think he's done the right thing; screw them.

This started off as a complaint of bullying against someone in the Clerks Office. The Clerk gets involved and then it's a complaint of bullying against someone who isn't in the Clerks Office. The whole thing looks extremely Banana Republicy.

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2