"Unrelenting" bully Houghton

im sticking with houghton on this one, based on nothing other than a hunch he has been set up. plus rodan is against him. houghton is a black belt in jiu jitsu, he could of smashed heads in all over the place. he didnt. i think that shows the restraint and discipline of the man

To add some balance I agree with you. Looks like a typical civil service stitch up job "Wah Wah, I'm being bullied. Please stop asking me to do my job you bully. Wah, wah!" Even down to some faceless civil servant updating his wiki page the very second it broke to really hit his credibility. I can't stand Houghton but it's quite nasty and vindictive. It's what happens when the faceless public sector mafia kick into gear with a good campaign. It's not too dissimilar to the "Sacked for having cancer" headlines in the Sun. These people have fuck all else to do are are really quite unpleasant.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My reading of it is different from JAB...   In 2010 a Member of Staff (MSA) objects to being challenged about their work standards and puts in an accusation of their manager Mrs L bullying them.  

Needs a new thread, but fuck it, put it in bold:   From Manx Radio:   The chief minister has described the suspension of an MHK from Tynwald this week as one of the lowest points in his political

Whatever you think of Houghton (not much I suspect for many of us) this sort of disciplinary action is a dangerous interference in democracy. Under New Labour English Councils had to set up Standards

Posted Images

I does look like a typical hatchet job from the civil service gnomes who object to being told what to do by people they have no respect for. To be honest it's hard to even work out what this lady's actual issue is (I tried to work it out but I got bored by page 223). But after 414 exhaustive pages of basically nothing you can probably summarize the circumstances as:

Woman kicks off about something

Someone seems to have failed to deal with it properly

Woman continues to kick off

Someone seems to continue to fail to deal with it properly

A complaint is made as it's easier than someone in a managerial position trying to deal with the problem

Certain people are told to back off as a complaint has been made

Those people don't take the threat to back off seriously as they're still not sure what the real issue is or that it's a big issue

Woman continues to kick off

It all goes to a Tynwald committee as those dealing with it get fed up of dealing with the situation.

Minster takes the arse that it a relatively minor issue has ended up at committee

Minister tries to get civil servants and committee to back down

Minister fails and the civil servants get pissed off at not getting their own way

Committee meets and 414 page report is written

Everyone falls asleep halfway through reading it

As it's not clear what really happened, and nobody is really that bothered, the injured party leaks the findings to the press

Press falls asleep half way through report and just publishes what they're told to as it's easier

Someone updates Wikipedia to rub salt in the wounds

Even MF readers struggle to work out what it's all about

The basic assumption, as people can't be bothered reading the 414 page report, is that Houghton is a bad man

Wikipedia and Johnson Press goes on permanent record that Houghton is a bad man

Houghton isn't liked so everyone agrees he's a bad man

• Like 1

Anybody who has tried to do business with Houghton will tell you what a repulsive individual he is. He lacks the intellect or tools to negotiate or reason so he typically results to shouting and attempting to intimidate. There is a pattern emerging here. It is never his fault; he has done nothing wrong; it is somebody else that is to blame and everyone but him is a liar. The whole pension issue and the manner in which he attempted to handle it demonstrated that he has not one ounce of honour or personal credibilty. The most incredible thing is that sufficient people continue to vote for him (and some on here still think he is one of the better MHKs - what nonsense) and his presence in Keys is a damning indictment of our political system and the candidates it brings forward for election.

Houghton might argue that the reason why he has been largely kept away from real responsibility is that he is constantly being stitched up. The real reason is that he is a bullying, bigoted oaf. He has failed to do anything much more than pick up his MHK salary and free pension whilst wandering the corridors of power demonstrating why he should not be given any.

• Like 7

I assume this lady is the same lady who is married to the trams on the promenade shit stirrer?

Yep, very same Marie Lambden, married to Murray who caused all the fuss about Horse Trams on Prom and lets face it if you saod BOO to her in a LOUD voice she would prob cry.

Houghton has a big persona, Fact

My reading of it is different from JAB...

In 2010 a Member of Staff (MSA) objects to being challenged about their work standards and puts in an accusation of their manager Mrs L bullying them.

Eventually this is rejected.

2014 MSA makes another allegation of bullying against Mrs L and A N Other to Tony Wild & John Houghton.

They approach the Clerk about it, and he asks the Deputy Clerk to investigate. The two staff the allegations were about were informed of the allegations against them. (Houghton eventually makes an official complaint about this saying the Clerk breached confidentiality).

MSA withdraws the allegations against Mrs L.

Mrs L feels that her position has been undermined (Houghton had spread untrue information about her that she had been treated for depression), that she has lost the respect of some Tynwald members and decides she's better off out of it. She resigns.

The Speaker advises Wild And Houghton that Tynwald members can't act as representatives of staff members in disciplinary matters.

Wild rings the helpline of the banking union he's still a member of, they advise him that he has done the right thing in bringing the matter to the clerk's attention but should back away now and let the process reach its conclusion.

Houghton decides not heed the speaker's advice and puts in a formal complaint about the deputy clerk because he'd conveyed the speaker's message to Houghton.

Houghton submits a letter that purportedly was from Wild & him to the clerk. However Wild had withdrawn his support for that letter. (The finding was this was a lie by Houghton, not sure why).

Houghton begins to bully Wild. To the extent that Wild moved his stuff back upstairs to the Legco office (he'd been squatting on the edge of an MHK's desk because he'd felt lonely in the Legco office).

Houghton confronts the Speaker in the canteen. The speaker describes this as "No worse than normal when Mr Houghton is one of his aggressive moods."

The complaints he'd put in about the Clerk and Deputy Clerk were rejected. Ultimately the committee found that Houghton had been malicious in putting these complaints in.

The matter of Houghton's actions came to a head. And the Members Standards Comittee was asked to investigate. Houghton delayed this process by challenging the legality of absolutely everything, and every procedure.

The committee found that he'd lied about Mrs L's depression, lied that a letter he submitted was also from Wild. That he failed to respect the Clerk's authority. Bullied The Clerk, Deputy Clerk, Wild, The Speaker. Refused to accept the staff disapplinary process excluded him from acting for MSA and continued to meddle. That Houghton is so lacking in self-awareness that he doesn't realise his impact on others and when this is pointed out to him he refuses to accept criticism.

(Incidentally, these events took place at the same time as Houghton was telling everyone he'd paid his pension, then discovered he hadn't).

Edited by Declan
  • Like 13

im sticking with houghton on this one, based on nothing other than a hunch he has been set up. plus rodan is against him. houghton is a black belt in jiu jitsu, he could of smashed heads in all over the place. he didnt. i think that shows the restraint and discipline of the man

To add some balance I agree with you. Looks like a typical civil service stitch up job "Wah Wah, I'm being bullied. Please stop asking me to do my job you bully. Wah, wah!" Even down to some faceless civil servant updating his wiki page the very second it broke to really hit his credibility. I can't stand Houghton but it's quite nasty and vindictive. It's what happens when the faceless public sector mafia kick into gear with a good campaign. It's not too dissimilar to the "Sacked for having cancer" headlines in the Sun. These people have fuck all else to do are are really quite unpleasant.

Except that the staff of the Clerk of Tynwald's Office aren't civil servants.

Anybody who has tried to do business with Houghton will tell you what a repulsive individual he is. He lacks the intellect or tools to negotiate or reason so he typically results to shouting and attempting to intimidate. There is a pattern emerging here. It is never his fault; he has done nothing wrong; it is somebody else that is to blame and everyone but him is a liar. The whole pension issue and the manner in which he attempted to handle it demonstrated that he has not one ounce of honour or personal credibilty. The most incredible thing is that sufficient people continue to vote for him (and some on here still think he is one of the better MHKs - what nonsense) and his presence in Keys is a damning indictment of our political system and the candidates it brings forward for election.

Houghton might argue that the reason why he has been largely kept away from real responsibility is that he is constantly being stitched up. The real reason is that he is a bullying, bigoted oaf. He has failed to do anything much more than pick up his MHK salary and free pension whilst wandering the corridors of power demonstrating why he should not be given any.

This is the best analysis of any MHK that I have ever read on these forums.

Everyone paid by the taxpayer is a fucking civil servant. That's a typical government worker distinction. I'm not the same as them as I'm something different. They're still sucking from the taxpayers teat.

• Like 1

Everyone paid by the taxpayer is a fucking civil servant......

So bus drivers, surgeons, teachers, police officers and nurses are civil servants are they..? Interesting.

So bus drivers, surgeons, teachers, police officers and nurses are civil servants are they..? Interesting.

Oh fuck off. Only you people apply that distinction. Nobody else even thinks about it. If you're paid by the taxpayer it doesn't matter how you choose to distinguish yourself. You serve the public. Civil servant, public sector worker, who gives a fuck? You still get paid in the same pay run from the same treasury bank account,

Oh fuck off. Only you people apply that distinction. Nobody else even thinks about it. If you're paid by the taxpayer it doesn't matter how you choose to distinguish yourself. You serve the public. Civil servant, public sector worker, who gives a fuck? You still get paid in the same pay run from the same treasury bank account,

By "you people" I presume you mean someone who employs facts, because if you're assuming I'm a civil servant you're wrong, just as you assume a civil servant updated Houghton's wiki entry. It could just have easily been one of his charming Tynwald colleagues, or a neighbour, or the man in the pub. And a post that begins "oh fuck off" rarely demonstrates a winning argument..or much of an intellect frankly.

• Like 2

Houghton asks for things which aren't in the official procedures and things really start going array.

Sounds all PC then. What's in store for him?
Another couple of jokes waisted on you Neanderthals..I don't know why I even bother anymore.