http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3590879/Your-breastfeeding-kill-mum-told-nursing-swimming-pool-pool-boss-sexually-harassed-reporter.html

"When Victoria Hodgson took her four-month-old daughter Amelia to the local swimming pool one summers day and realised that she was hungry, she instinctively did the most natural thing in the world.

But as Mrs Hodgson discreetly slipped down one side of her tankini top and fed her baby, she had no idea she was about to enter into the most extraordinary battle with the authorities.

For soon the young mother was to find that her legal right to breastfeed her child was to be repeatedly denied by the officials who ran Western Pool in Peel on the Isle of Man.

They claimed she was breaching rules forbidding food or drink in the pool and, even more ludicrously, asserted that by exposing a breast she was posing a risk to life because young lifeguards would be fascinated and distracted with the risk almost certain to result in fatality or disabling injury.

And when 33-year-old Mrs Hodgson went to an elected official who ran the pool in the hope of getting an apology, he instead responded, according to her husband, by saying that public breastfeeding shouldnt be allowed because old boys might get excited if an old bird gets her t**s out.

Now, two years on, the mother of four has won a landmark legal battle against the pool."

"When the MoS contacted Mr Davison, he asked whether the 16-year-old guys who were lifeguarding at that time would really want to see a woman breastfeeding.

He also lewdly suggested to our female reporter: They might like to see yours. "

Edited by Declan
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see the FB posse are out with the news that this lady will be on the MR Women Today show. I hope they research beyond the DM and avoid the perpetual 'wimmin are victims' angle. I would prefer the a

It does look like Ian Davison is a graduate from the John Houghton School of Conflict Resolution.

Babies frequently bring up small amounts of milk. I wouldn't want that in the pool itself. If she was actually feeding in the pool I can understand the objection. If she was sitting by the side then t

Posted Images

I don't like people breast feeding in public, what's wrong with putting a towel or blanket over yourself? Regardless of the mothers freedom and rights, other people shouldn't have to see their tits! The way Peel baths dealt with this was appalling and their opinions were embarrassing but Davidson needs sacked for his comments. Shameful.

I'm not entirely sure whether breast-feeding in a pool is the most hygienic thing. (Perhaps someone with more recent experience of the process could clarify). But this whole distraction / danger theory they used in their defence seems to have been formulated by the writers of "On The Buses".

In the interest of balance, the pool has issued a statement-

"

Today in the Mail on Sunday some of you may have read an article about a breast feeding incident at the pool and our breast feeding policy.

As chairman of the Pool, and having sat on the board for more than 4 years, I can clearly state that what is being reported is false and whats more its a shame that the reporter failed to report my reply to her questions.

Firstly, I can state that we have always allowed, and continue to allow, breast feeding at the Western Swimming Pool, our policy states:

It is the policy of the Western Swimming Pool Board to support families by allowing women to feed infants at the Western Swimming Pool. We believe that breastfeeding is the healthiest way for a woman to feed her baby and recognise the important health benefits known to exist for both mother and child. Staff will not discriminate against any woman with regard to her chosen method of feeding and will support her when she has made that choice to feed on the premises.

Our Pool runs many infant swimming lessons as well as a holding a weekly parent and toddler group, the staff have been trained in our policies allowing breast feeding at the Pool.

What the article fails to mention, is that this lady was actually in the water feeding her baby with her husband and three other children under 8. Our policy is clear about a 1 to 2 adult to child ratio and she was asked to stop breast feeding in the water for safety reasons, as while she was breast feeding the baby, her husband was responsible for 3 small children. She was offered support to help take one of the children out of the pool while she was busy and there is a seating area right next to the pool that could have been used.

The article stated that a landmark legal battle was won; as a board made up from each of the western local authorities we had denied many demands for compensation of over £5000 and were prepared to defend the defamatory accusations that staff and board members were being accused of. However, we do use rate and tax payers money, and only on the grounds of commercial sense, (i.e. it was cheaper to pay compensation than legal fees) we took the best option for the pools finances.

We have a dedicated team of staff at the pool, we are currently teaching over 700 people in swimming lessons, they work hard to ensure each visitor has a safe and enjoyable experience and I thank them for their dedication to the pool. Its articles like these that really do affect the staff, the journalist had a full reply from myself and a copy of our policy but decided to ignore them and only go with one side of the story, which we completely deny were the facts of the incident."

Well not actually the pool itself ...

Adrian Christian

Chairman Western Swimming Pool

• Like 5

Another positive IOM story......... well we do shoot ourselves in the foot big style. An even Athol Streets finest were involved ..............KERCHING! How much did this cost Peel Commissioners/Swimming Pool I wonder? Not to

mention negative publicity, and to think we are trying to encourage families to the island for short breaks. Why bother coming here ............... talk about living in the dark ages.

• Like 1

In the interest of balance, the pool has issued a statement

I don't like this development, How dare there be two sides to the story when people have already rushed to judgement based on the unimpeachable word of a journalist?

• Like 8

I'm not entirely sure whether breast-feeding in a pool is the most hygienic thing. (Perhaps someone with more recent experience of the process could clarify). But this whole distraction / danger theory they used in their defence seems to have been formulated by the writers of "On The Buses".

Agree. Whatever the rights and wrongs or morals etc etc, it could have been handled better.

Edited by 2112

Mass breast feeding session at Davisons ice cream parlour - might upset the locals! However, will the proprietor complain if everyone bought an ice cream? Wonder what Ray Harmers point of view on this topic is? After all he was one of Peel Commissioners/Trumptons finest, and he would have known what was going on.

Edited by 2112