ISLE OF MAN BREASTFEEDING ACT 2011

https://www.legislation.gov.im/cms/en/component/docindexer/?task=download&id=3020

Amazing, given the ruccus at the time, that this law had been forgotten about.

I must admit I'd forgotten about Juan Watterson's silly little bit of gesture-legislation, on the grounds that I never expected it to be used (funny how these things always get promoted in election years[1]). But it's a classic piece of badly worded Manx legislation because it doesn't allow for it not to apply on safety or other grounds[2], it assumes that if a person is legally in a place then they are legally allowed to feed a baby in that position - even though feeding a baby may distract you from other things. .

In this case the objection (according to the Western Pool Facebook statement that Declan quoted) was that by feeding her baby it left her unable to help supervise her other three children with their father (they insist on a ration of one adult to two children). This seems reasonable enough as do the solutions the Pool staff offered. But because of the way the Act is worded, they were technically in the wrong. You wonder if it might be possible to claim you could breastfeed while driving for instance.

Mrs Hodgson seems to have qualified as a solicitor in the UK (though not practising and not converted over to the Manx Bar), so perhaps it's understandable that she should have moved to the legal route while others might not. Her husband did well in a compensation case a few years ago, so clearly their able to stand up for their rights. (Judging by his comments on age, maybe notwell was his boss).

As to Davison - well just let's say it wouldn't have taken the Mail long to find out where they should go for the required incendiary quotes. In contrast Adrian Christian seems to have handled it very well, reacting quickly to the story in the Facebook post above and also replying to the Mail story.

[1] To be fair I think Watterson became a dad about this time, so it may just be the usual "MHK champions a cause when it applies to them" effect. It's worth pointing out that the Act is actually misnamed and applies to bottle feeding as well. But everyone likes to talk about boobies so that gets missed.

[2] It looks like it was probably taken out of a longer piece of UK legislation without any of the surrounding provisos.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 2
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I see the FB posse are out with the news that this lady will be on the MR Women Today show. I hope they research beyond the DM and avoid the perpetual 'wimmin are victims' angle. I would prefer the a

It does look like Ian Davison is a graduate from the John Houghton School of Conflict Resolution.

Babies frequently bring up small amounts of milk. I wouldn't want that in the pool itself. If she was actually feeding in the pool I can understand the objection. If she was sitting by the side then t

Posted Images

Bad legislation still applies even if it is bad legislation. As I said above Christians press release is just spin; they didn't defend it as they couldn't defend it as the law (badly drafted or not) is clear so they would just have been chucking ratepayers money away defending the indefensible. They should have known that from day one and stopped what looks like it became a vendetta just because some public officials ego got popped by a stroppy woman.

Edited by thesultanofsheight

It's not really on to find someone sitting at the next table in M&S' café with exposed breasts, is it? Would people object if nappies were changed too? That's natural too isn't it?

Err...

In Marks & Spencer's cafe, people consume food, which is what the baby is doing.

In Marks & Spencer's toilet, people dispose of faeces & urine, which is where the nappy change should take place.

So yes, I'd complain if someone started to change a nappy in the cafe.

The problem is, for far too long, mothers were expected to feed their baby in a toilet. Is that difference too subtle?

Personally, as a straight male, I quite like boobies. But I am able to consider what their actual function is. I remember when I was about seven, my aunt had recently given birth to my cousin. She showed my sister & I, my cousin breast feeding. It was possibly the first time I'd seen a breast, or at least, since I was a baby myself. It was a good age for to be demystified and the true function explained.

It would never happen, but I'd be happy if women who are comfortable breast feeding in public, could volunteer to go in to schools to show children who are about seven or eight years old, what breast feeding is like. It is only because it is unusual to see, that people look twice. If it was more normal, people wouldn't care if the baby was fed in public or not.

• Like 4

It's not really on to find someone sitting at the next table in M&S' café with exposed breasts, is it? Would people object if nappies were changed too? That's natural too isn't it?

Err...

In Marks & Spencer's cafe, people consume food, which is what the baby is doing.

In Marks & Spencer's toilet, people dispose of faeces & urine, which is where the nappy change should take place.

So yes, I'd complain if someone started to change a nappy in the cafe.

The problem is, for far too long, mothers were expected to feed their baby in a toilet. Is that difference too subtle?

Personally, as a straight male, I quite like boobies. But I am able to consider what their actual function is. I remember when I was about seven, my aunt had recently given birth to my cousin. She showed my sister & I, my cousin breast feeding. It was possibly the first time I'd seen a breast, or at least, since I was a baby myself. It was a good age for to be demystified and the true function explained.

It would never happen, but I'd be happy if women who are comfortable breast feeding in public, could volunteer to go in to schools to show children who are about seven or eight years old, what breast feeding is like. It is only because it is unusual to see, that people look twice. If it was more normal, people wouldn't care if the baby was fed in public or not.

...pretty sensible post I'd say flowers.gif

• Like 1

I see that Davison's Ice Cream have posted on their Facebook page:

PLEASE NOTE that ALLEGED comments made by the Daily Mail in an article they printed earlier today were made by a member of the WESTERN SWIMMING POOL BOARD. While Mr. Davison is a director of Davisons ice cream they were in no way related to our company and its views on breast feeding. As a new father myself I have a wife who breast feeds and know that you can't help were this takes place. We DO NOT take a negative view on mothers having to breast feed in our Parlour and are quite happy for them to do so if needs be. For this reason I will be writing to the daily mail as our business should not have been mentioned in their article when it has nothing to do with the business and could be potentially harming to us. I will of course be looking into our own legal rights over the printing of our business into the article and will be taking it further with the daily mail if needs be. Kind regards Greig Davison, owner and director of Davisons ice cream

PLEASE NOTE that ALLEGED comments made by the Daily Mail in an article they printed earlier today were made by a member of the WESTERN SWIMMING POOL BOARD. While Mr. Davison is a director of Davisons ice cream they were in no way related to our company and its views on breast feeding. As a new father myself I have a wife who breast feeds and know that you can't help were this takes place. We DO NOT take a negative view on mothers having to breast feed in our Parlour and are quite happy for them to do so if needs be. For this reason I will be writing to the daily mail as our business should not have been mentioned in their article when it has nothing to do with the business and could be potentially harming to us. I will of course be looking into our own legal rights over the printing of our business into the article and will be taking it further with the daily mail if needs be. Kind regards Greig Davison, owner and director of Davisons ice cream

If there was any doubt before,he's certainly coming across as right asshole now.

I recall that there were some criticisms of the Bill, when it went through the Branches, that it was badly worded and could cause problems. It certainly seems that the big winners are the lawyers.

Breastfeeding in public does irritate some people. Whilst that wouldn't lead me to ban it I can quite see that there are some circumstances where it might be reasonable to ask someone to feed their baby elsewhere.

Badly drafted, I guess but that's the problem with the Isle of Man. We have a very small legislature and that means the detailed scrutiny of legislation often leaves a lot to be desired.

Be interesting to see what the Lord Lisvane makes of it all!

I recall that there were some criticisms of the Bill, when it went through the Branches, that it was badly worded and could cause problems. It certainly seems that the big winners are the lawyers.

Breastfeeding in public does irritate some people. Whilst that wouldn't lead me to ban it I can quite see that there are some circumstances where it might be reasonable to ask someone to feed their baby elsewhere.

Badly drafted, I guess but that's the problem with the Isle of Man. We have a very small legislature and that means the detailed scrutiny of legislation often leaves a lot to be desired.

Be interesting to see what the Lord Lisvane makes of it all!

It will be whatever he is told. Let's face it, whatever is written, suggested or implied - if TInpotwald wish to ignore it they will. Tinpotwald do whatever they want - sod the consequences. Badly drawn legislation - nahhhhhh, it's our party piece - if we can fcuk it up, we will - or will certainly try and fcuk it up. Do we ever learn lessons? - NO!

If there was any doubt before,he's certainly coming across as right asshole now.

I'm sure the voters will view him ideal MHK material

Babies frequently bring up small amounts of milk. I wouldn't want that in the pool itself. If she was actually feeding in the pool I can understand the objection. If she was sitting by the side then there can't really be an objection in my opinion.

half the kids piss in the pool anyway so whats a bit of milk going to do??

• Like 3