Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Declan

Your Breastfeeding Could Kill Someone

There's a bit in the Guardian article which I think pretty much sums it up (assuming its correct):

“The lifeguard at the time thought Mrs Hodgson wouldn’t have been able to safely look after the second child whilst breastfeeding the other child, so she was asked to come out of the water and take her child out of the water while she breastfed. There’s a seating area within 3ft of the pool. She was offered that we would be able to get a towel for her if she was cold.”

He alleged that Hodgson then quoted the Breastfeeding Act and told staff how much compensation she could apply for."

There's a few points ben missed for sure. In the end this woman has gone in once and had a bad experience for which she was greatly upset, she went back a 2nd time and had the same experience! derrr, so starts quoting law and compensation. If her version was wholly true, one would assume no 2K is gonna sort it, you'd want proper justice and your time in court knowing the Pool had done wrong, but No! She settled for the couple grand outta court on a no liability or acceptance condition. Then goes to not the local rag, but a UK one that ermmm pays for stories. In the meantime character's and reputations have been damaged. We'll never know the full truth, but it actually looks worse for her now as nothing other than a complaining money grabber. I been going there very regular for over 7 years with my young kids, have nothing but praise for all the staff there and their operation of the Pool. Have never ever seen anything negative but have seen 100,s of children from babies upwards all having a good time and a great experience in learning to swim! Oh and if her story which clearly has so many holes in it, we're still expected to believe everything as published about Ian Davison, WTF, If a story appears to be untrue in places and totally dramatized, then for me, the whole story is shite,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I must say when I saw the family photo in the mail I wondered why grandad was in the picture and not dad.

Having babies at 60 ! He needs all the compo they can squeeze out of the system.

• Like 1

More of my rates money wasted, they kept this quiet until after the elections.

Edited by stanleyfan

I see the FB posse are out with the news that this lady will be on the MR Women Today show. I hope they research beyond the DM and avoid the perpetual 'wimmin are victims' angle. I would prefer the angle of 'why did you think it was appropriate to breastfeed your child in the pool?','why didn't you leave the pool when offered an alternative?', 'why did you go back?'and'why did you mount a legal challenge?'.

For balance, it would be good to have the silver-tongued Mr Davison on the show too.

Before a barrage, I absolutely support the freedom for mothers to breastfeed in public; but, with all things, a little decorum and sensitivity to the situation you are in always helps. I like pasties, it is a simple biological process that requires me to eat one, but I do have the good grace to haul my burgeoning arse out if the pool before doing so, I will also remember not to eat with my mouth open.

There you go, subjugated, marginalised female.

• Like 11

When is this women today on? and is it a phone in?

In todays society I think nobody would have an issue with breast feeding, however I take my child to that pool and there are signs saying no food or drink by the pool this includes the sitting area so if your child is hungry take them out and feed them in the canteen area I don't see why anyone could have an issue with this.

If its right that she has been breast feeding in the pool then again why? I hope the pool owners will have a right to reply on their show tomorrow

Babies frequently bring up small amounts of milk. I wouldn't want that in the pool itself. If she was actually feeding in the pool I can understand the objection. If she was sitting by the side then there can't really be an objection in my opinion.

half the kids piss in the pool anyway so whats a bit of milk going to do??

A bit of milk will do nothing. The point however is that the pool management don't encourage pissing in the pool either, and provide toilets so people can get out and piss in the proper place. Just like they provide chairs, presumably, so that nursing mothers could sit comfortably by the pool side and feed their baby, rather than doing it in the pool.

People just have to start being reasonable - on both sides. In this case stupid arguments about lifeguards being distracted by the sight of a nipple are balanced by the militant breastfeeding lobby insisting on being allowed to do it anywhere at all 'as it's the law'.

Can you breastfeed while driving?

Oh and if her story which clearly has so many holes in it, we're still expected to believe everything as published about Ian Davison, WTF, If a story appears to be untrue in places and totally dramatized, then for me, the whole story is shite,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well yes, because it's what was published by the journalist who wrote the story and it's unlikely that she would have made it up.

• Like 1

Oh and if her story which clearly has so many holes in it, we're still expected to believe everything as published about Ian Davison, WTF, If a story appears to be untrue in places and totally dramatized, then for me, the whole story is shite,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Well yes, because it's what was published by the journalist who wrote the story and it's unlikely that she would have made it up.

My mistake, Embellished seems more appropriate!

When is this women today on? and is it a phone in?

In todays society I think nobody would have an issue with breast feeding, however I take my child to that pool and there are signs saying no food or drink by the pool this includes the sitting area so if your child is hungry take them out and feed them in the canteen area I don't see why anyone could have an issue with this.

If its right that she has been breast feeding in the pool then again why? I hope the pool owners will have a right to reply on their show tomorrow

if it only says no food or drink by the pool ? the tits are full of milk whether it is being drunk or not, and many women find themselves 'leaktating' ?? a little at times, so any lactating women has a chance of leaking a little into the pool anyway. should all lactating women be banned from pools?

• Like 1

I must say when I saw the family photo in the mail I wondered why grandad was in the picture and not dad.

Having babies at 60 ! He needs all the compo they can squeeze out of the system.

I take it you know the chap ....... laugh.png , call me a cynic but I wonder if the woman spotted the opportunity to make a few quid at the taxpayers expense then "earn" a few quid more by selling her story , one of life's parasites perhaps?

I don't like people breast feeding in public, what's wrong with putting a towel or blanket over yourself? Regardless of the mothers freedom and rights, other people shouldn't have to see their tits! The way Peel baths dealt with this was appalling and their opinions were embarrassing but Davidson needs sacked for his comments. Shameful.

I cannot believe you are suggesting a women should cover herself up with a towel when feeding her baby! What century are you living in. Your comment is shameful. Why are you so scared of other people's breasts? Women should have the same rights as men to have their tops off, breast-feeding or not. In fact there was a legal challenge a few years ago is the USA, on the grounds that making women cover their top halfs & not men is sex discrimination. The women won the challenge.

did you know that women go topless on the beach too sometimes.

• Like 2

Having had experience of the UK media I tend to take the view that reporters are parasites and will write up stories with a grain of truth and fill the rest with absolute rubbish dressed up as facts in order to sell papers or get views online.

That's why the Daily Mail has people like Katie Hopkins writing for them. The "articles" she, and others, produce are intended to provoke a strong reaction and ensure that people read (or at least click), comment and share it.

Those clicks, comments and shares guarantee advertising revenue...

• Like 2

I take it you know the chap ....... laugh.png , call me a cynic but I wonder if the woman spotted the opportunity to make a few quid at the taxpayers expense then "earn" a few quid more by selling her story , one of life's parasites perhaps?

He's already won £26,000 from his old employers. Kerching!

• Like 1