Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

10 hours ago, PmJ said:

They made a small fortune storing goods for MEA when they were going. I believe they also provide storage for B&Q (or used to)

No, both those are history now.

lots of space is used by Manx Telecom. That must be a good income.

13 hours ago, Cheesy Wheezy said:

This one 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g190929-d15094675-r619204837-Two_Fellas_Micropub-Peel_Isle_of_Man.html

Its in an old shop in Michael Street. They provide the beer to the Whitehouse too I think. It was about £2.50 a pint last time I was in. 

Good luck to the guys. Keeping it small creates the right atmosphere that I think a lot of people appreciate. And if they continue with those sort of prices and don't get too greedy they'll have repeat business.... which is what it's all about. Think I'll head into Peel when I get my new passport and give it a whirl!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

The Bridge will be next I reckon. Is it even a pub now? Coasters rotting next to it, weird wine bar on the corner, big redevelopment plot.

Thought they were going to internally connect the Bridge and Vino?  Vino is H&B and supplies a lot of wine to restaurants, etc.

Somtimes but a pint in the Bridge and drink it in Vino as my mates like the wine there. 

On 2/5/2019 at 2:05 PM, Donald Trumps said:

Lucky for Mr Bell that he resigned last year

On 2/5/2019 at 2:12 PM, Non-Believer said:

Something else that he'd have had no knowledge of....?

Lots of things went on behind his back. 

18 hours ago, Cheesy Wheezy said:

This one 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g190929-d15094675-r619204837-Two_Fellas_Micropub-Peel_Isle_of_Man.html

Its in an old shop in Michael Street. They provide the beer to the Whitehouse too I think. It was about £2.50 a pint last time I was in. 

Think they have / are about to, take over the running of the Whitehouse. 

21 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Agree on the Bridge 

The Railway (they get more in rent from the office floor above than they make in the pub apparently) 

Victoria Tavern has just gone. 

The Queens (always empty) 

The Archie Knox can’t possibly be making a penny in profit 

I heard that Robert Jnr from the Pigeon spends less time there so Robert Snr closed the VT to  help run the Pigeon. All according to a man in a pub, obviously. 

Went passed the Liverpool Arms today...what a shit site all boarded up.

Shame on you H&B - sell it to someone that CAN run a pub - and f**k your covenants.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, The Old Git said:

Lots of things went on behind his back. 

Literally....? :lol:

39 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Shame on you H&B - sell it to someone that CAN run a pub - and f**k your covenants.

The covenant just makes them look shit. I doubt it would be legally enforceable anyway but I'm sure a lawyer could give an educated opinion on that. It's just putting a covenant in this situation is a shit thing to do.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, gettafa said:

The covenant just makes them look shit. I doubt it would be legally enforceable anyway but I'm sure a lawyer could give an educated opinion on that. It's just putting a covenant in this situation is a shit thing to do.

I have a business connection that looked at it. The property is pretty much worthless with the covernants in place and you would have to go to court post sale to try to get them off which would be an expensive / high risk strategy after paying the best part of £400K for the building (which isn’t in the best state of repair). The covernants come as part of the conveyance of the property to its new owner. Which is pretty much why they can’t sell it as even if you set up a tearooms or cafe you couldn’t even offer a glass of Prosecco or Champagne with afternoon tea. If you sold food as a restaurant you could only do so without offering alcoholic beverages. You’d have to sell a lot of tea and scones to make any money. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, gettafa said:

It’s enforceable. Between H&B as seller and the first purchaser it’s a contract term. No way out. The court can’t set it aside between seller and buyer.

As for second, and subsequent purchasers, it’s enforceable. Yes, application could be made to the court, but if it’s recent, and H&B opposed and were still running a pub business it’s unlikely to be removed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The sad thing is they obviously know someone else could make it profitable and that's why they've put the covenants on it. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s enforceable. Between H&B as seller and the first purchaser it’s a contract term. No way out. The court can’t set it aside between seller and buyer.

As for second, and subsequent purchasers, it’s enforceable. Yes, application could be made to the court, but if it’s recent, and H&B opposed and were still running a pub business it’s unlikely to be removed.

As I see it, the purpose of this sort of covenant was to protect say a builder/developer's interests. If they are building an estate and one of the first buyers thinks it would be profitable to change the premises into a pub. That might have an adverse affect on the rest of the house sales.  Or maybe they have sold a piece of adjoining land. So in these examples the covenant was there to protect the covenantee.

I would question the reason why  H & B would put such a covenant on, other than shortsighted bloody mindedness. 

But yes, I see then that it is enforceable and if the covenant 'runs with the land' then so be it. It would make H & B look silly taking it to court though IMO.

Edited by gettafa

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

The sad thing is they obviously know someone else could make it profitable and that's why they've put the covenants on it. 

I doubt that it could ever get back to being a busy and profitable pub. It was always a pub that had to be driven to and from and the DD laws being firmly applied now have stopped that.

Even when Graham and Danny had it and ran a transport bus it died on its arse and they had it bouncing once.

But even if H&B can stop 20 people leaving their pubs to drink in a possible new venture then it's worth it to them to put a covenant on any sales.

Which business wouldn't want to reduce the competition?

It wasn't a managed pub, so that;'s not to say thet the brewery could not have made it profitable but face it, it is a bit out of the way. Better to concentrate on their livelier pubs?