Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

14 hours ago, John Wright said:

Lived same place since 1979. Never drank in Lancashire. Wouldn’t have needed a lift home if he had. Still don’t get your reference to the Home of Rest. It’s not nearby.

2.6KM. I'd class that as nearby. 

Posted (edited)

(I make it to within a few metres 1.0km)

Edited by gettafa

11 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

11 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

JW it is my memory of IOM locations. The Lanc was to me one of those places outside Douglas passed by in a blur...To me The Lancy and the horses are nearby...My territory was Nursery Avenue Onchan 1986 Port Erin 1990 and Laxey Harbour House 1992 otherwise nearby the Termi 1997 and mostly Murray's Road overall. As regards your Learned friend it was gossip as I recall it from man in the pub who claims to have witnessed it in the Lancy.  He even acted it out in front of people. Frankly I cannot recall that Lancy pub as open. Passing by it always looked derelict to me. Such a long time ago. I have to remind myself that it is 2019 how time doth fly. Very soon it will be 100 years since the birth of my late father...I left the IOM 2008 but was so involved and got about a lot it is hard to let go..Trouble is if I were to return for a trip I would be disappointed. Never go back. Wonder if Quids Inn needs a good clean? It seems to have survived....

11 minutes ago, gettafa said:

(I make it to within a few metres 1.0km)

Maybe JW  and BS should both be in their respective homes of rest...Oh..I am in one and have been since 2008

'jam sandwich'.

I've not heard that for a decade or two. I think the younger former members will have to Google it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gettafa said:

'jam sandwich'.

I've not heard that for a decade or two. I think the younger former members will have to Google it

I can recall when police most of them had no car but a few had push bikes, no walkie talkies, a whistle and a wooden stick....That was it...And they had rain capes...The changes were all imported from the USA when Kirby New Town was developed and the Chief Constable went to Chicago to look see. Result was Jam sandwich and of course BBC TV Z cars series set in New Town ie Kirby

15 hours ago, Rushen Spy said:

Amazing how lots of pubs can exist, with different owners, and operate and be competitive and still bring in a lot of customers and revenue without each harming the business of the others. Is it possible that could exist here, instead of the Brewery trying to apply a 15th century guild economic model to the 21st century service economy?

15 hours ago, dilligaf said:

What ?

Zero sum economic model: the assumption that for in commerce, for one party must gain, the party must be deprived. Or in the case of the guilds, for some to remain prosperous, others must be kept out. Although I wouldn't mix that in with unions and opposition to artificial labour market saturation as that really is an example where they're screwing people over.

Posted (edited)

When drinking is all in public ie the pubs, it is easy to assess the problems.

Once it goes behind closed doors via the supermarket (and door to door from online wine merchants for example) then the problems are hidden.

I rented a house off a guy who had previously had a bank manager for a tenant. Nice and respectable you would think, but he couldn't wait to get him out. Apparently, amongst other things, he fell asleep pissed on the settee each night in his own piss/shit/vomit, depending on the night of the week.

There's a lot to be said for public houses and properly licensed regulated drink outlets.

Edited to add:

Not Isle of Man.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, LightBulb said:

Deleted as potentially seriously defamatory

Can the truth be defamatory? - asking for a friend

1 hour ago, PmJ said:

Can the truth be defamatory? - asking for a friend

The greater the truth the greater the libel...."We like to be insulted don't we Mr Fogg...It's a pleasure Mr Dodgson….It's an income Mr Fogg... (Pickwick)