Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

And Convenience stores.

To be fair to the owners they have proper business acumen in that they diversified their business when they could see that there was only a route backwards in being predominantly a pub owner/brewer.

Pubs and Clubs are closing all over the UK. It isn't an IOM centric issue.

bollox ! I've got to agree with you, 25 years ago after midnight on Fridays and Saturdays douglas prom was bustling with people making their way between pubs and night clubs and certain hotels, now you're lucky to see a handful of people. times have changed, there is some life around the quay and Victoria st but basically it is dead compared to back then.

• Like 1

It's hard to get across to younger people what Douglas was like in years gone by. The atmosphere was great in season and the place was always jumping. Live music pouring out of every door and crowds all around town and along the prom. Different world.

• Like 6

Okells bitter is not even brewed on the Island now and has markedly deteriorated in quality, being very prone to going flat.

If they are deliberately trying to close pubs then they are going to succeed in no time at all.

I think you'll find it is. In fact it is also shipped off island to the various brewery owned pubs in Liverpool and Manchester
I've heard to the contrary too...is your opinion based on fact? What's the truth?

Okells bitter is not even brewed on the Island now and has markedly deteriorated in quality, being very prone to going flat.

If they are deliberately trying to close pubs then they are going to succeed in no time at all.

I think you'll find it is. In fact it is also shipped off island to the various brewery owned pubs in Liverpool and Manchester
I've heard to the contrary too...is your opinion based on fact? What's the truth?

Well. If they've stopped brewing at Kewaigue they've kept it pretty quiet. Knowing how the skeet travels on the Island, especially in business circles, I don't think it's credible that it has happened and isn't common knowledge. On that basis I say it's still brewed here. What have you heard to the contrary, Albert? Location?

I worked there Albert. Granted they don't brew as much as they used to but still enough for the local pubs and those on the mainland

They seem to dabble with a variety of things rather than go into one thing singlemindedly. Like they dabbled with chip shops for a while. They dabble with a few pubs across, but not many. Obviously works for them but the grand plan seems to be well hidden if there is one. They're well financed going way back so maybe they don't see any need for revolution.

Even a bit of evolution might be nice.

• Like 1

I can definitely assure you that Okells is still brewed on the island because it's what I do for a living and have done for six years. As for price rises I also do not agree with it and believe they are destroying there own pubs.

• Like 6

It probably is only about 30% of the business but Okells is there most known brand hence why everyone blames Okells for the rise of pub products when really H&B are at fault. After all Okells is a company in its own right except there only customer is H&B.

I could buy a pit of Okell's cheaper in Rigby's, Liverpool than in any Manx pub. Despite it being brewed on the Island & shipped across, a bit like Manx meat & fish. :(

• Like 1

I think it's because they know they have to be more competitive in England as for on island they can rip everyone off just like most businesses do.

• Like 2

It probably is only about 30% of the business but Okells is there most known brand hence why everyone blames Okells for the rise of pub products when really H&B are at fault. After all Okells is a company in its own right except there only customer is H&B.

Is Okells not just a brand name owned and sold by H&B?

I travel to the UK and Channel Islands quite frequently and I have actually found the price here is now either on a par or cheaper here now compared to across. Certainly cheaper than larger cities (talking normal boozers not wetherspoons type places).

I find that outside of Douglas and in general free houses around the island are still well frequented. It's just Douglas town centre that lacks atmosphere for me. Apart from the Woody and Rovers.

To be fair to those saying they can get it cheaper across, Guinness is cheaper on the island than in most places in Dublin (5 compared to £3.50-£4.00) and their pubs are roaring - it's not really just the price of beer that does it, its a combination of price, entertainment, social etc. With an older population there just aren't as many young'uns to go around. I still feel young in some pubs around the island ha!

• Like 2