Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

It's the cost of everything else here that means no disposable income left to spend down the pub!

• Like 2

H&B purported not to understand how Quids Inn on Loch Promenade did it...ie less than half the price of other pubs...

Well I worked there at Quids a few years and they told me it was simple!...You choose stock carefully and usually imported from "across" and some from a local wholesaler...They only have Okells bitter so as to stay in the darts league (Or did then)...

You only open when there is trade to be done...You make money on the £1 entrance fee and a few gimmicks in season like Xmas raffles/New Year etc..

I think Quids does music now...

It is about small profits and quick returns...The more people come in the more £1 coins you get and bank as soon as possible..

I suppose it is not as busy as it was when launched in 1993 but it has imitators also called Quids Inn...in various places...

Anyway bucking the trend, Ramsey has a new wine bar opening today and a new cocktail bar coming soon.

Edited by finlo

It does? Is that the steakhouse people's one?

I suppose it is not as busy as it was when launched in 1993 but it has imitators also called Quids Inn...in various places...

scarborough opened back in the 80's

The new tapas was opened last night in the old Shakti Man (previously Manx Radio Rentals).

• Like 4

Anyway bucking the trend, Ramsey has a new wine bar opening today and a new cocktail bar coming soon.

Good grief

• Like 1

The Scarborough one is up for liquidation I see in the Gazette....Now are you sure about Quids Inn in the 1980s at Scarborough?

I got involved in patenting or whatever we did "trademarking" "Quids Inn" (Douglas) and the issue of Scarborough did not come up in the hearing held in London...

"Quids Inn" Douglas was told that it could only have the concept exclusively on the IOM as it had not sought to open the business model or franchise in the UK...By then there were imitators such as on Barry Island, Jersey and Coventry and others....

The Douglas "Quids Inn" was granted permission to call itself "The Original Quids Inn" (On the Island) and which it does proclaim on signs and T-Shirts etc...

Part of the issue was that the term "Quids Inn" is also a common expression and also there were pubs with the name "Quids Inn" going back decades if not centuries but they did not have the "Pound in...Pound a drink" trading model as was from 1993 onwards but the drinks have gone up since some of them...

Maybe the Scarborough Quids Inn was one that had the name established since ancient times as it were but not the trading model although it may have adopted it later...Certainly the Isle of Man "Quids Inn" got massive publicity at the time and that was part of the issue...It was publicised before any legal trademark protection was attempted...

Anyway, you may well be right but I do not recall it coming up at the court in London...The challenge in London was against "Quids Inn" on Barry Island as it seems two businessmen had been on the IOM fishing and gone to Quids Inn Douglas and lifted the idea. They too were told that they could only use "Quids Inn" on Barry Island but they had been attempting to franchise the idea.

I did not attend the court but I did read the reports and I think one can read the case on line...

Funny old life! Where else could you get a pub cleaner to research and set you up with a trademark/patent type hearing. It was a long time ago so I have forgotten most of it...The professionals were charging the business rip off prices and fees and going nowhere so all I did was crash, bang, wallop and in an amateur way move the issue to a London hearing...

More than the professionals ever did! Every letter they wrote cost £250!...I instigated the moves to get a hearing and my fee was £375...Somehow, it worked! More by luck than judgement...

• Like 1

Reference to the register shows that Quids Inn (Scarborough) Ltd was registered on August 8th 1995 whereas Quids Inn in Douglas opened in 1993...

The Scarborough company is described as "A liquidation company" (Not sure what that means?)...and is stated to have been trading for 21 years and 6 months...

Quids Inn Douglas I think is under a company called "Turnstile Inns" but there may be others...