Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

Recommended Posts

I used to quite like the restricted hours on a Sunday, people would get hammered at lunchtime

Which would lead to the spectacle of Toffs on a Sunday afternoon.

 

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Sunday afternoon Toffs was rough. There were also little bars in the guest houses around Mona Drive like the paramount and Glencoe, they were very very rough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick look online shows you're right. A few pubs show they close on a Sunday according to their Facebook pages.

 

The Bridge is closed, although the Railway shows it's open 11am - 9pm.

 

I suspect the Hooded Ram has taken quite a few customers from the pubs as that always seems to be busy on a Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't find where to place this post, but I read with hilarity on 3fm news that H&B are increasing their beer prices today by 6p. Obviously they are masters of PR, there have been quite a few bikers over from mid week, and they will notice price increase. An increase of 1 or 2 pence fair enough but 6 pence - it adds up. I wonder if they increase the beer prices in their UK/Liverpool/North West hostelries? The sooner a Wetherspoon pub opens the better, both in terms of coffee, beer wine and spirits and food. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A wetherspoons will do well on the Isle of Man. As exemplified by this Top Tip from Viz:

5927fb5823eb5_WetherspoonsViz.png.af08e2655b860f10e2459e23071b6367.png

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I couldn't find where to place this post, but I read with hilarity on 3fm news that H&B are increasing their beer prices today by 6p. Obviously they are masters of PR, there have been quite a few bikers over from mid week, and they will notice price increase. An increase of 1 or 2 pence fair enough but 6 pence - it adds up. I wonder if they increase the beer prices in their UK/Liverpool/North West hostelries? The sooner a Wetherspoon pub opens the better, both in terms of coffee, beer wine and spirits and food. 

Yep, after a good ten pint session that's an extra 60p man... that's totally gonna make people stop. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tarne said:

Yep, after a good ten pint session that's an extra 60p man... that's totally gonna make people stop. 

An extra £4.20 a week then.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a way to welcome visitors to our shores, Boat fares - Rip off ! and then you get here and find that food and drink are also being hiked up.

I for one have already cut down my visits to my local and this 6p hike on booze will only make me cut down even more, the last increase turned my local into an empty place overnight and this one on Sunday will make it a place devoid of punters and atmosphere.

What a way to run a tourist resort, but then our Gov't knows what it is doing does it not ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Isle of Man - Where you can (be ripped off)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Terminal said:

How much is a pint of piss/Carling nowadays?

£3.89 currently in Brewery houses. Anywhere between £3.00 and £3.50 in free houses (usually).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

The Isle of Man - Where you can (be ripped off)

The Isle of Mean more like... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/02/2017 at 10:13 AM, TheTeapot said:

Yeah Sunday afternoon Toffs was rough. There were also little bars in the guest houses around Mona Drive like the paramount and Glencoe, they were very very rough.

Good all the same though, damned good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All Wetherspoons prices are the same up and down the country. The food menu is the same. They have agreements with various suppliers, not always huge selections of beers, wines and spirits but they are certainly very good value. It doesn't bother me making a decision with a choice of 3 or 4 beers and lagers. Also I like the fact that some of the meals come with either a alcoholic or a soft drink. You would never get that value on the IOM. In all fairness Wetherspoons do have faults, but if don't like it, don't drink or eat there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...