Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

I used to quite like the restricted hours on a Sunday, people would get hammered at lunchtime

Which would lead to the spectacle of Toffs on a Sunday afternoon.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Yeah Sunday afternoon Toffs was rough. There were also little bars in the guest houses around Mona Drive like the paramount and Glencoe, they were very very rough.

A quick look online shows you're right. A few pubs show they close on a Sunday according to their Facebook pages.

The Bridge is closed, although the Railway shows it's open 11am - 9pm.

I suspect the Hooded Ram has taken quite a few customers from the pubs as that always seems to be busy on a Sunday.

I couldn't find where to place this post, but I read with hilarity on 3fm news that H&B are increasing their beer prices today by 6p. Obviously they are masters of PR, there have been quite a few bikers over from mid week, and they will notice price increase. An increase of 1 or 2 pence fair enough but 6 pence - it adds up. I wonder if they increase the beer prices in their UK/Liverpool/North West hostelries? The sooner a Wetherspoon pub opens the better, both in terms of coffee, beer wine and spirits and food. 

• Like 6

A wetherspoons will do well on the Isle of Man. As exemplified by this Top Tip from Viz:

5927fb5823eb5_WetherspoonsViz.png.af08e2655b860f10e2459e23071b6367.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

I couldn't find where to place this post, but I read with hilarity on 3fm news that H&B are increasing their beer prices today by 6p. Obviously they are masters of PR, there have been quite a few bikers over from mid week, and they will notice price increase. An increase of 1 or 2 pence fair enough but 6 pence - it adds up. I wonder if they increase the beer prices in their UK/Liverpool/North West hostelries? The sooner a Wetherspoon pub opens the better, both in terms of coffee, beer wine and spirits and food. 

Yep, after a good ten pint session that's an extra 60p man... that's totally gonna make people stop. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tarne said:

Yep, after a good ten pint session that's an extra 60p man... that's totally gonna make people stop. 

An extra £4.20 a week then.....

• Like 1

What a way to welcome visitors to our shores, Boat fares - Rip off ! and then you get here and find that food and drink are also being hiked up.

I for one have already cut down my visits to my local and this 6p hike on booze will only make me cut down even more, the last increase turned my local into an empty place overnight and this one on Sunday will make it a place devoid of punters and atmosphere.

What a way to run a tourist resort, but then our Gov't knows what it is doing does it not ?

The Isle of Man - Where you can (be ripped off)

1 minute ago, Terminal said:

How much is a pint of piss/Carling nowadays?

£3.89 currently in Brewery houses. Anywhere between £3.00 and £3.50 in free houses (usually).

2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

The Isle of Man - Where you can (be ripped off)

The Isle of Mean more like... 

On 21/02/2017 at 10:13 AM, TheTeapot said:

Yeah Sunday afternoon Toffs was rough. There were also little bars in the guest houses around Mona Drive like the paramount and Glencoe, they were very very rough.

Good all the same though, damned good.

All Wetherspoons prices are the same up and down the country. The food menu is the same. They have agreements with various suppliers, not always huge selections of beers, wines and spirits but they are certainly very good value. It doesn't bother me making a decision with a choice of 3 or 4 beers and lagers. Also I like the fact that some of the meals come with either a alcoholic or a soft drink. You would never get that value on the IOM. In all fairness Wetherspoons do have faults, but if don't like it, don't drink or eat there.