Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

A busy night in the LA of late would have been 6 people.

That does not fill the till

There's the catchment area of Baldrine and Baldrine Park. I bet some of them make their way the opposite direction to get to Laxey.

LA is also 5 minute's drive from Onchan catchment area. If people weren't going there from Onchan it's because of what wasn't on offer?

Personal guess? Poor service and zero inward investment in the place, usual brewery policy of milk it to the max and spend bugger all on it unless it involves turning it into a soulless box. Then try and flog it as a near ruin (a la Brit Ramsey).

But you can't use it as a pub.

Edited by Non-Believer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

There's the catchment area of Baldrine and Baldrine Park. I bet some of them make their way the opposite direction to get to Laxey.

LA is also 5 minute's drive from Onchan catchment area. If people weren't going there from Onchan it's because of what wasn't on offer?

The magic word there is " drive"

On a different tack, Mr Dobson was not exactly everyone's cup of tea

Edited by dilligaf

Sorry Mr PB, I posted that before I saw your remark about the drunken landlord.

5 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

The magic word there is " drive"

On a different tack, Mr Dobson was not exactly everyone's cup of tea

Plenty of travel-necessary pubs still operating. People travel from afield to Sulby Glen, Raven and the aforementioned Hawthorn.

It's what you get when you get there that's the biggest influence.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Sorry Mr PB, I posted that before I saw your remark about the drunken landlord.

You have to admire the bloke standing against him in Lonan.

Read his pledges to the end. It’s not the most subtle campaign in the world. 

B70D0360-1D1C-4552-AFDB-554E98BD2CE8.jpeg

Edited by MrPB
Added para
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Plenty of travel-necessary pubs still operating. People travel from afield to Sulby Glen, Raven and the aforementioned Hawthorn.

It's what you get when you get there that's the biggest influence.

Without being too unkind.

One drives to the Hawthorn for a great meal and maybe half a lager

One used to go to the LA for a few pints and a bag of crisps and risk being stopped for DD.

The food there was crap for years.

19 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

One used to go to the LA for a few pints and a bag of crisps and risk being stopped for DD.

Exactly. No reason to go there other than the basics with a pint at brewery prices. And who was the operator? Not just the manager but the owner? And now they'd like to stop anybody who'd be minded to better it.

Good example going back 8-odd years. Raven, Ballaugh had a couple in there doing Thai. It was rammed, 7 nights a week, struggle to book a table (think I posted on this in the Food and Drink thread at the time). They left, went to the Horse and Plough, I think? 

Raven food after that went to shit. Usual H&B fayre. Cold, unimaginative or warmed over. The pub was devoid of custom other than a few hardy locals. It stayed that way for six-odd years. Including a brewery manager and his wife getting up and leaving their meals on one occasion.

New managers in there for a year making an effort now and it's picking up again, even midweek.

It can be done. But it takes the right people and/or the right owners. And H&B generally provenly aren't.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Exactly. No reason to go there other than the basics with a pint at brewery prices. And who was the operator? Not just the manager but the owner? And now they'd like to stop anybody who'd be minded to better it.

Good example going back 8-odd years. Raven, Ballaugh had a couple in there doing Thai. It was rammed, 7 nights a week, struggle to book a table (think I posted on this in the Food and Drink thread at the time). They left, went to the Horse and Plough, I think? 

Raven food after that went to shit. Usual H&B fayre. Cold, unimaginative or warmed over. The pub was devoid of custom other than a few hardy locals. It stayed that way for six-odd years. Including a brewery manager and his wife getting up and leaving their meals on one occasion.

New managers in there for a year making an effort now and it's picking up again, even midweek.

It can be done. But it takes the right people and/or the right owners. And H&B generally provenly aren't.

I can't argue with that. But when the food is crap and the chance of getting caught DD is very high, there are no winners

Nothing concrete but I've heard rumours a couple of bars in Douglas are struggling and are close to going under sad if true.

8 hours ago, dilligaf said:

A busy night in the LA of late would have been 6 people.

That does not fill the till

As you don't or didn't frequent the LA of late then where do you derive those figures from?

10 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Without being too unkind.

One drives to the Hawthorn for a great meal and maybe half a lager

The Sunday lunches when the Italian fella was there were quite popular, although I'm not sure if he chef'd at all. Struggled to get a table on some Sundays. 

Edited by gettafa

That bar in the old post office in Regent Street looks like it is almost ready to open. One less reason to visit the pubs on North Quay....

Who owns the Regent Street, whatever it is?

Strand Street was the centre of night life for years. The Strand/New Strand/Strand 58/Caseys..aka..aka, closing was a bit of a shock, although the writing was on the wall for the last 2/3 years of its existence. That failing was entirely H&B self-inflicted I would suggest.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gettafa said:

Who owns the Regent Street, whatever it is?

Strand Street was the centre of night life for years. The Strand/New Strand/Strand 58/Caseys..aka..aka, closing was a bit of a shock, although the writing was on the wall for the last 2/3 years of its existence. That failing was entirely H&B self-inflicted I would suggest.

Every H&B pub closure is self inflicted!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2