Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

43 minutes ago, emesde said:

As far as I know the brewery didn't manage the Liverpool Arms. It was a Tenancy which means that the Brewery owned the Building and that the Tenant owned the business . The tenant would pay an agreed annual rent and have a supply agreement for products  . They would then have a business and accommodation.You seem very keen to blame the brewery for a business venture they did not control. I am sure if the brewery could have found a new ,financially sound businessperson to take this P.H. on and build the business they would have as it would give them a guaranteed rent and an outlet for their products .

Not at all I’m just tired of the circular arguments that are going on by the same people just to try to show they have won an argument. I don’t want to see that site developed for housing. But with the restrictions placed on the building that’s all that is going to happen as nobody in their right mind would buy it as commercial premises. I think that it’s grossly unfair of the brewery to devalue their own asset to such an extent that the only viable option is to knock it down and put housing on it. That’s all. And they have had many chances to get that right as a pub / restaurant and failed. I dont see why someone else should not now have a go at trying to make it a success as licensed premises. I accept that’s their commercial decision but I think it stinks and makes a mockery of the planning application. 

Edited by MrPB
Typo
  • Like 1

Driverless cars may be a lifesaver for some rural catering establishments

Wonder what Derek Flint would advise - could you be 'drunk in charge' if you're not actually in charge of the vehicle from the outset?

Edited by Donald Trumps
  • Like 1

Overall, I think food delivery by drones will win out

43 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Neil Down, the covenant attaches to the land, not the building.

i was addressing the reasons why the brewery closed it and want to sell.

you raise reasons why the brewery would want to impose a covenant.

?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

Wonder what Derek Flint would advise - could you be 'drunk in charge' if you're not actually in charge of the vehicle from the outset?

God knows. I suspect if it was fully autonomous and was operating in a secure mode where the driver couldn’t make any intervention then it would be no different to being in the back of an Uber.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The Commercial/Ellan Vannin and Trafalgar on Ramsey Quay alone. Bar Logo in Parliament St.

All open and doing business whilst the H&B Stanley and Royal are empty or even shut. Ditto the Swan on Parliament Sq, built mid nineties as a successful private enterprise and bought by the brewery @ 10 yrs ago when the owner retired. Now an expensive, soulless, empty box devoid of atmosphere or customers bar the odd pensioners meal and Friday teatimes.

Almost. They did sell the Commie and the Traf. Bar Logo was however private from the start. It is the former home of Gellings Foundry.

The Swan is a changing too. New landlady whose very presence will attract customers (she runs a great pub), give her some time and she'll change it around.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Donald Trumps said:

Overall, I think food delivery by drones will win out

It’s frightening how much we will be doing in our own houses in the future. Plus there will be less amenities and public places for people who don’t own their own houses to go to. We could end up like places like Japan. People stuck inside minuscule apartments never venturing out for weeks on end. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

2 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

People stuck inside minuscule apartments never venturing out for weeks on end. 

Sounds like some of our politician's existence...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

I often imagine Callisters blog is really just a politician imagining what it would be like to be a real politician; if they weren’t agoraphobic and stuck in the house writing things up on the iPad all the time!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Sounds like all of the Dandara estates in Peel!

9 hours ago, emesde said:

As far as I know the brewery didn't manage the Liverpool Arms. It was a Tenancy which means that the Brewery owned the Building and that the Tenant owned the business . The tenant would pay an agreed annual rent and have a supply agreement for products  . They would then have a business and accommodation.You seem very keen to blame the brewery for a business venture they did not control. I am sure if the brewery could have found a new ,financially sound businessperson to take this P.H. on and build the business they would have as it would give them a guaranteed rent and an outlet for their products .

They are obviously to blame for preventing any future business venture anywhere or by anyone on the island that they don't themselves control, as these covenants demonstrate. Instead of competing in an open market by improving their business, they appear to just want to prevent any competition altogether. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Did they put a covenant on The Ship?

Edit - According to this PDF 

The Vendor intends to place a restrictive covenant on Title preventing the future use of the property as licenced premises.

What complete wankers.

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Derek Flint said:
8 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

God knows. I suspect if it was fully autonomous and was operating in a secure mode where the driver couldn’t make any intervention then it would be no different to being in the back of an Uber.

I know it is hypothetical, but surely any of these so called driverless would have to have a "kill" button or override of some sort.?

Not forgetting of course that should the prospective new owners make a success of it, they will be employing people