Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

3 minutes ago, PmJ said:

Not forgetting of course that should the prospective new owners make a success of it, they will be employing people

And buying from local suppliers who also employ people. The Government say they want to make the island a good place for business and to promote job creation to help the economy. I can think of nothing more obvious than to do away with these covenants which prevent local business opportunity.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Ha! I looked it up too. 

Is it still for sale by any chance?

4 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

And buying from local suppliers who also employ people. The Government say they want to make the island a good place for business and to promote job creation to help the economy. I can think of nothing more obvious than to do away with these covenants which prevent local business opportunity.

You really think there is a future in pubs. Get real.

14 minutes ago, PmJ said:

Is it still for sale by any chance?

It is, but it won't be long until it disappears on a high spring tide.

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

It doesn't need to be a "pub" in the old-fashioned sense. The focus should be on high quality food. Get a good chef, nice food, and people will come. But giving the option of alcohol with the food is still something people want.

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Why can’t it be a restaurant? Something is better than nothing surely

I think that the VIKING in Castletown is currently on the market if you are looking for a restaurant /pub .

Advertised with Lowey and CO 

1 minute ago, PmJ said:

Why can’t it be a restaurant? Something is better than nothing surely

Most restaurants are  very under used apart from say a couple of hours each week.

We need to somehow improve the service and food at the ones we have before we start any more.

4 minutes ago, finlo said:

It is, but it won't be long until it disappears on a high spring tide.

Not anymore with the Great Wall flood defenses. There is some kind of extra bit by the ship too for that mill stream, dunno what it is, maybe a sluice gate. 

Just now, dilligaf said:

We need to somehow improve the service and food at the ones we have before we start any more.

I believe in supply and demand, not preserving failed business enterprises for the sake of it. Failed business enterprises should be allowed to go bust (and prevented from manipulating markets to prevent competition) so there is opportunity for successful business enterprises.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Most restaurants are  very under used apart from say a couple of hours each week.

The good ones are not under used

2 minutes ago, PmJ said:

The good ones are not under used

I would say places like The Hawthorn are busy because they are very good.

However there are many in town especially that are still living on past glory and they need to up their game.

Loads of them are about half full at so called busy times.

23 hours ago, John Wright said:

It hasn’t, yet.

The brewery is protecting its business.

If someone else wants to run a pub nearby they can buy somewhere and apply for a licence.

The LA was no longer fit for purpose, kitchen inadequate, living accommodation inadequate.

If you were a butcher, had two shops, decided to consolidate in one, why shouldn’t you restrict the use of the other - to protect yourself. The Methodist church often ( invariably ) impose no alcohol covenants.

Its getting confusing in the UK, because there’s an interplay between restrictive covenants ( which the court can only discharge if they are “obsolete” ) and competition law. Competition law, which we don’t have here, is winning out.

The brewery 'thinks' it is protecting its business. But that is schoolboy economics. (and at that, the sort of schoolboy that owns a football or has a big pocket full of marbles).

Regarding the butchers analogy, if you consider the example of the jewellers in Regent Street I made earlier, then the butcher might be better to leave the now redundant shop to market forces. Someone moves in and makes a proper go of it as a butchers shop and succeeds, but in so doing attracts more trade to the area and both butchers do well.

I am not saying that would be the case with the Liverpool Arms but what I am saying is that it should be left to market forces to decide. The brewery won't lose by it, but it is the way they are going about it.

And on a perhaps not unrelated matter, how many times has a shit business blamed competition when it fact the reason for a business failing was a little closer to home.

• Thanks 1