Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

It’s only the Nags Head that would lose out if Wetherspoons came over as it’s the only place in the IOM where, like Wethy’s, you can order a vodka and coke to wash down your full English breakfast with.  

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Yeah that page I've linked to talks about the filthy conditions. Fascinating stuff.

"It will have been gathered from what has been said of the towns that sanitary precautions were almost entirely neglected. As late as 1833, the Douglas householders stated that there was " a great want of proper sewerage and cleanliness."

I'd love to know more about this period of manx history, it sounds rough as fuck. No wonder so many people left.

Get down to the museum, the poor conditions in Douglas and Ramsey are also well documented in the Isle of Man Antiquarian Society proceedings of many years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emesde said:

There are probably too many pubs on the Island for the size of the population and the market ---many are struggling already to get a reasonable return. Why would the brewery actively seek competition to their own premises and further adversely affect their own operation??  They have operated pretty successfully for over 120 years and are managing change in a declining market  in the way they feel is best for their business . 

You obviously don't agree, But it is their business to run as they see fit.  

Fair comment, but I would question: " Why would the brewery actively seek competition to their own premises and further adversely affect their own operation?"

The brewery would be not be actively seeking competition they would be passively inviting it. Let the market place sort it out.

Maybe a bit off-topic but to illustrate some points, when The Central was up for sale, Bushy's were interested as they were just out of their place bottom of Victoria Street. The Central would have been perfect. But the brewery boss said "over my dead body".

The Central was a stopping off point for the weekend town trade migrating towards the established night clubs - Toffs/Colours, Paramount City, The Venue (....all of which have since closed down). The Brewery, over the latter years, invested the princely sum of fuck-all into The Central but were determined not to let anyone else make a go of it. 

I can see the reasons why of course and I feel it boils down to that simple schoolboy economics.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

There were 7 (seven) pubs in fucking Bride!

And over 22 in Ramsey up to the 70s/80s. All busy with their own and "general" clientele. Seem to remember Anne Craine saying something objecting to it in her MHK days. Killjoy.

There are probably many reasons for the fall off in pub trade, changing society views etc etc. But nobody, but nobody, will ever convince me that H&Bs policies haven't been one of the major reasons.

From product pricing to the running down and lack of investment in many of, other than their few allegedly "flagship", pubs. Most of which are empty or closed for much of the time. They have probably irrepairably damaged much of the local pub trade for many years to come.

And now they seek to cement that damage by placing covenants on what can and can't be done with what they're now trying to offload.

As posted previously, local pricing of £4.40 a pint vs £2.50 in Liverpool for the same product. And that's without considering mark ups on spirits, mixers and soft drinks.

Cowboys.

Edited by Non-Believer
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Get down to the museum, the poor conditions in Douglas and Ramsey are also well documented in the Isle of Man Antiquarian Society proceedings of many years ago.

Yeah, been in the museum, and the museum library too asking obscure questions. The staff in there are great, they know loads, and when they don't know they are quite prepared to help you find out.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Yeah, been in the museum, and the museum library too asking obscure questions. The staff in there are great, they know loads, and when they don't know they are quite prepared to help you find out.

There's a dreadful report about Ramsey in the 1850's or 1860's - the sort of report one would gladly bury. I *think* it was written by the Methodists but am not sure, i remember an excellent Antiquarian society lecture describing just how poor Ramsey was.

3 hours ago, gettafa said:

Yes, yes, your opinion and analysis is fair enough.

But the point is why sell it with a covenant at all?

In their attitude towards competition the brewery are fuelling the overall decline in the pub trade.

But would the pub / LA not be buying from the brewery anyway, so what is the loss, with hooded ram and oddbinns closing, i would have thought the more sales for H&B the better ?

3 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

But would the pub / LA not be buying from the brewery anyway, so what is the loss, with hooded ram and oddbinns closing, i would have thought the more sales for H&B the better ?

Only if there was a brewery tie. 

As a free house they would be able to buy wherever. There are several island based beers, wines and spirits wholesalers and a cash and carry. They could also import some products themselves or buy branded products from retail supermarkets. 

No guarantee they would buy all or any products from H&B

7 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

Is there any actual evidence for this anywhere? The pub was open last week and some other pub I was in (can't remember which) had a Ram beer on. 

4 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

I never venture as far as bride. 2 churches + zero pubs = no no

Bride is only a short hop from Andreas !

Just now, emesde said:

Only if there was a brewery tie. 

As a free house they would be able to buy wherever. There are several island based beers, wines and spirits wholesalers and a cash and carry. They could also import some products themselves or buy branded products from retail supermarkets. 

No guarantee they would buy all or any products from H&B

I think that when they were trying to sell the Colby Glen that they put some crazy rule on it, buy beer exclusively from us for x years or something. That was some of the convo in the pub and it got mentioned on here too I think.