Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

49 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

On a positive note, we dropped some spare stuff off at the MSPCA today, had a little look around at the cats then decided to have a coffee and cake. It was 15,50 and the sign said closing at 16.00. However ordering was no problem, service was good and the coffee and cake spot on.

We were not rushed and were still there at 16.20.

That is the sort of service which is lacking in our hospitality industry and if a few landlords had a look out there they could learn how to serve and keep customers.

Bushy's tent TT week. Happy to serve you and get your money right up to 11:00pm, then it's bar shut and the goons would start closing the tent then do there goon bit of walking in line in an intimidating way to get you outside, even though you may have literally just bought a pint. And no chance of taking it outside the entrance. Down it in two minutes or chuck it away.

Bushy's tent is great but that was a shit thing they did, and for a few years on the trot. Although may be not as bad as when the goons were stopping people dancing to the bands. That was outrageous. No dancing in a tent with a live band at a bike festival.

We all love Bushy's Tent but to be fair in many ways it was more than a bit shit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, my grandad took me to the one at Ballagarey. Odd place to have a cafe. Must be 55+ years ago. I think about it whenever I drive through the traffic lights.

You must be about my age ( wrong side of 60)

I was last there about 42 years ago :whistling: as a teenager walking from Douglas to Peel or further afield. As we did then.

Let's be honest: Managing cake eating senior citizens is a bit different from running a bar full of drunken biker hooligans.

I've no issue with drink. But there are far too many places selling cake IMO. Something needs to be done. It's annoying not being able to get a table to for brunch at the w/e because the place the place is full of people sharing a slice of cake and a pot of tea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

You must be about my age ( wrong side of 60)

I was last there about 42 years ago :whistling: as a teenager walking from Douglas to Peel or further afield. As we did then.

I’m the right side of 60 dilli. 62 and a half and a bit more.

Id have been 7 that summer. We camped for 6 solid weeks on one of Tony Mashiters fields above foxdale. My dad was at teacher training college 1936-39 at Crewe, with Steve Cubbon, who by 1963 was head at Foxdale and living in the school house, and Norman Cowin, who was teaching in Welwyn, but whose brother was custodian at Peel Castle.

Norman returned to the Island every summer, and the three of them always met up.

My parents had honeymooned in Peel in 1947, staying with one of Norman Cowins maiden aunts. Small terraced house. When I went in 1963 she still had gas light. I remember the hiss to this day.

Strange what you remember. 

My grandfather lived in Cleveleys, he came over half a dozen times that summer. He didn’t drive. So we must have got to Ballagarey by bus, train, or shank’s pony.

33 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, my grandad took me to the one at Ballagarey. Odd place to have a cafe. Must be 55+ years ago. I think about it whenever I drive through the traffic lights.

There was a big muriell in the window as i remember, must be 45 years ago at least, i would love to knock on the door tommorow and ask for a coffee, after breaking down at the wagon and horses and using the telephone which was the old fasioned type  ?

4 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

As I'm sure we all remember after that (cough) 'incident' a few years ago :whistling:

??

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

Let's be honest: Managing cake eating senior citizens is a bit different from running a bar full of drunken biker hooligans.

I've no issue with drink. But there are far too many places selling cake IMO. Something needs to be done. It's annoying not being able to get a table to for brunch at the w/e because the place the place is full of people sharing a slice of cake and a pot of tea.

This "drunken biker hooligan" does not drink alcohol ,and  at  weekends rides  to a cafe  for a slice of cake and a pot of tea .

Perhaps the days of seeing signs saying "No bikers/pensioners  " would be welcomed  by  the likes of you ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I was referring to the gentleman from Bride, caught hopping in Andreas School playing field, rather the worse for refreshment.

Who was he, as Bride dosent` have pub !

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, kevster said:

That rings a bell

Rattled one even :whistling:

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, paswt said:

This "drunken biker hooligan" does not drink alcohol ,and  at  weekends rides  to a cafe  for a slice of cake and a pot of tea .

Perhaps the days of seeing signs saying "No bikers/pensioners  " would be welcomed  by  the likes of you ?

Why are older people so into tea and cake?

• Haha 2