Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

27 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:
31 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Bet he was that impressed he never bothered to even come here. Barry, get real. 

You know your bogs and he knows his pubs.

I know both actually. Fact is he asked. I responded. He replied. The rest is up to him. My briefing to him was the way the trade is on the IOM and I cited Quids Inn 'cos I worked there for many years. Most of their stock is imported by the way and last I heard a fraction of the price of H&B but I retired in 2008 when I left the IOM.

Barry. I remember you over here and you are still talking bullshit. I know a bit about who gets what beer from where, so please don't think you know it all and can impress anyone. You are full of hot air.

2 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

How do you know he did not come to IOM?

He said that he CBA:thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

1127220042_glenvine.thumb.JPG.a8cb0f9ac46bb91cf328715fc83458ac.JPGCalled in there for "refreshments" when I and a couple of mates cycled round the TT course as callow youths in 1975. It definitely existed.

The café was most definitely the corner plot by the little close. It was not the one with the orange Audi.

Edited by dilligaf

1 minute ago, dilligaf said:

The café was most definitely the corner plot by the little close. It was not the one with the orange Audi.

Agreed, it’s Ballalough Crescent. It was a flat roofed extension. It’s still there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, finlo said:

It's still open, although Christ knows how!

Oddly enough, been in tonight. Handful of meals on, 4 people in back bar (though this was later on, 9ish, most seem to have migrated down town by that time if they started in the H/man), front bar empty. Closed Sunday evenings altogether. £4.10 a pint.

Ballawattleworth Chinese is better patronised.

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Agreed, it’s Ballalough Crescent. It was a flat roofed extension. It’s still there.

Glen Lough Circle to be precise.

7 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Barry. I remember you over here and you are still talking bullshit. I know a bit about who gets what beer from where, so please don't think you know it all and can impress anyone. You are full of hot air.

OK then. Tell us all where Quids Inn gets its stock.

I worked in the Quids for some years and was a key holder. Back in the day they only had Okell's bitter so as to be in the darts league. The rest was from a small wholesaler called Bucknalls (If they are still there) and other supplies came directly from sources over in the UK.

H&B purported not to know how it was done ie low prices.  And back in the day (1993) it was £1 in and £1 a pint, splits free. £1 for crisps etc...

I realise that was over ten years ago when I worked there and they have to charge more than £1 now but I believe most of their stock is imported and by their trading formula Quids is still dirt cheap and others have copied their methods and even the name even the logo. I was involved in trying to secure the patent/trade mark years ago but it was a bit too late by then  so there are Quids Inns in several places now.

1 hour ago, finlo said:

I thought the Imps "Californians" were at the corner house along with an orange TT?

Hillman imp stiletto in the second house, Cafe was the third one. 

1 hour ago, finlo said:

I thought the Imps "Californians" were at the corner house along with an orange TT?

Nope

2 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

What is CBA?

Can't be arsed 

11 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

What is CBA?

Can't be arsed?

4 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Glen Lough Circle to be precise.

Probably a bit before my time but I grew up in Glen Vine and remember a sweet shop in Glen Lough Circle in the early 80s run by two old ladies (although I was about 6 so they may well have been in their 40s!). Would that be the same place?

13 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I meant the cafe was definitely there Dilli, after 40+yrs I wouldn't like to say exactly which property now :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

OK then. Tell us all where Quids Inn gets its stock.

I worked in the Quids for some years and was a key holder. Back in the day they only had Okell's bitter so as to be in the darts league. The rest was from a small wholesaler called Bucknalls (If they are still there) and other supplies came directly from sources over in the UK.

H&B purported not to know how it was done ie low prices.  And back in the day (1993) it was £1 in and £1 a pint, splits free. £1 for crisps etc...

I realise that was over ten years ago when I worked there and they have to charge more than £1 now but I believe most of their stock is imported and by their trading formula Quids is still dirt cheap and others have copied their methods and even the name even the logo. I was involved in trying to secure the patent/trade mark years ago but it was a bit too late by then  so there are Quids Inns in several places now.

Joseph Bucknall are very much still going and are doing well. Yes they do supply lots to Quids Inn and so does H&B.

Barry, you can't live on past fantasies of glory. You cried wolf and lost. Enjoy your life in the smoke. They deserve you and vice versa. 

3 minutes ago, MrG said:

Probably a bit before my time but I grew up in Glen Vine and remember a sweet shop in Glen Lough Circle in the early 80s run by two old ladies (although I was about 6 so they may well have been in their 40s!). Would that be the same place?

Yes.