Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

Recommended Posts

Round 2.4.

''   No one is saying necessarily that it should remain a pub...''

I think that is exactly what is being argued above and that ''someone'' / 'anyone' , could do it better than the brewery!

 

Getaffa, I know you are fond of ''Lawyers lose 50% etc...'' but in any court case, lawyers win 100% of the time!!!

Hn B can put a condition on the sale because it is their settled legal right to do so. Shall we restrict everyone from using their legal rights? Where will that end up?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the only people who are concerned that someone/anyone could do it better than the brewery are . . . the brewery themselves.

It's back to the schoolboy 'pie' economics in that they think the 'pie' is only so big (and getting smaller) and they are going to grab it while it is there.

The pie could and should be bigger and better, with new fresh varied ingredients. But hey.

Well, I suppose they would look stupid selling a failing pub with liberty, and what if the new owner makes it a roaring success! But they look a bit silly lashing a covenant on it, you know, just in case.  A dead duck is a dead duck surely.

Edited by gettafa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, gettafa said:

I think the only people who are concerned that someone/anyone could do it better than the brewery are . . . the brewery themselves.

It's back to the schoolboy 'pie' economics in that they think the 'pie' is only so big (and getting smaller) and they are going to grab it while it is there.

The pie could and should be bigger and better, with new fresh varied ingredients. But hey.

Well, I suppose they would look stupid selling a failing pub with liberty, and what if the new owner makes it a roaring success! But they look a bit silly lashing a covenant on it, you know, just in case.  A dead duck is a dead duck surely.

Maybe it’s a case of once bitten twice shy for them. Remember they only gave the Liverpool Arms to Danny and Graham thinking they were going to fail. Their success kind of left the brewery with egg on their faces

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the damage that they are doing to the whole local trade that is the crime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are tey selling a 'failing asset' or an asset they longer wish to put any effort into?

They have put a reasonable price on the building, if they can realise that, then they are on awinner with the restriction, they get their money and they remove possible competition. I would say that is good business acumen?

On the Island, the ''pie'' is certainly only so big, we all know that, that a private  business has had to do the job of the Govt in this case, is a a reflection on the govt not doing their job to ascertain a 'vibrant' economy for the Island? I would not object to the Govt having an anti-competition policy in  place to ensure that their are not too many 'Shoe Shops' in Strand St.

Other European countries do this, less so these days, but restrictions are placed on trading offerings. Some countries have even placed  severe restrictions on Sunday opening !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PmJ said:

Maybe it’s a case of once bitten twice shy for them. Remember they only gave the Liverpool Arms to Danny and Graham thinking they were going to fail. Their success kind of left the brewery with egg on their faces

Better than on their chins though 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...but did Danny n Graham move on because it was not truly viable??? Where did they move to? Oh, Onchan and then central Douglas! Does that say something about their business acumen and your lack of the same???

What damage are they, H&B, doing to the ' local trade'? Is it not better that Laxey and Onchan have 10 viable pubs than 11 not quite so's?

Presume you're not a shareholder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Kopek said:

What damage are they, H&B, doing to the ' local trade'? Is it not better that Laxey and Onchan have 10 viable pubs than 11 not quite so's?

Presume you're not a shareholder?

By their policies they are shrinking, depleting and deterring the local market. Including those who would wish to make a go of it. Competition is there to up the whole game. That is how our economy is supposed to work. H&B are taking their model from our Govt. Probably with the blessing of their cronies within.

Shareholders often have only two interests. The bottom line and their own financial interests.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Presume you're not a shareholder?

He’d have to be a family member to be a shareholder you Wally. It’s not a listed company. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't be silly, the argument is about acumen not who can actually be shareholder. Some menbers of the family DO take an interest in the running of the business.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Competition is there to up the whole game. That is how our economy is supposed to work.

I would refer you to the above........

''On the Island, the ''pie'' is certainly only so big,''

It is only the way our economy works because our Govt are too afraid to interfere in competition that is to our detriment.

Anyone who has observed our economy over the past 50 years, who has partaken in that economy, will know that a free for all only results in failures to make way for the supposed competition.

If our Govt do not have the balls to do this for us, then it has to be left to business' to do this, through removal of competition such as H & B have done in this case.

Shock Horror, ONE Pub gone!!!

Edited by Kopek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Don't be silly, the argument is about acumen not who can actually be shareholder. Some menbers of the family DO take an interest in the running of the business.

Your point is what? We are now supposedly trying to market this Island as a thrusting, go ahead, entrepreneurial economy.

Whilst permitting the local establishment to act in a manner that opposes those very ideals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Don't be silly, the argument is about acumen not who can actually be shareholder. Some menbers of the family DO take an interest in the running of the business.

You’re the master of silly arguments. Clearly N-B is not a shareholder as the shares aren’t listed so he wouldn’t be able to buy any. So why did you even ask the question? Just made you look daft. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Anyone who has observed our economy over the past 50 years, who has partaken in that economy, will know that a free for all only results in failures to make way for the supposed competition.

Proving categorically that even China has a more liberal, free market, economy than the IOM. And that all your arguments about the brewery being clever business men are nonsense. They run a protection racket. As you admit yourself above. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Restricting business practices would not make us an attractive prospect for incoming business'.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...