Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

Restricting business practices would not make us an attractive prospect for incoming business'.

We aren’t attractive to incoming business which is why Wetherspoon’s will never set foot here. 

• Like 1

:whistling::P:P   and that's a bad thing???

10 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

You’re the master of silly arguments. Clearly N-B is not a shareholder as the shares aren’t listed so he wouldn’t be able to buy any. So why did you even ask the question? Just made you look daft. 

Substitute, would H n B want 'him' as a manager? The answer is NO!

13 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I would refer you to the above........

''On the Island, the ''pie'' is certainly only so big,''

It is only the way our economy works because our Govt are too afraid to interfere in competition that is to our detriment.

Anyone who has observed our economy over the past 50 years, who has partaken in that economy, will know that a free for all only results in failures to make way for the supposed competition.

If our Govt do not have the balls to do this for us, then it has to be left to business' to do this, through removal of competition such as H & B have done in this case.

Shock Horror, ONE Pub gone!!!

Kopek Cowley. The pie is currently being manipulated by one, virtually monopoly operator. Who have long since sacrificed any public interest in that pie in favour of other business interest areas elsewhere. And removal of any competition needs to be done on a fair market place. Not by artificially denying competition the right to operate out of established premises.

If that competition wants to try and fails; that is the market. Not by being stifled and denied before the attempt is made.

It's not one pub gone. It's many, much of it due to H&B policies in the last 20 years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Their pay is shit, who would want to be one of their managers? They have no financial incentive to put up with running a shoe string protectionist operation so what benefit would that bring to anyone? 

Edited by thesultanofsheight
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Kopek said:

But I am not one of their managers. I am a consumer. I want choice. I want good service. I'm entitled to business competition to keep prices down.

But this is the IoM. I am denied those consumer-led-in-our-economy mainstays by yet another monopoly establishment operation employing restrictive practices.

If it must be a monopoly then it should be regulated in the consumer interest.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kopek said:

...but did Danny n Graham move on because it was not truly viable??? Where did they move to? Oh, Onchan and then central Douglas! Does that say something about their business acumen and your lack of the same???

What damage are they, H&B, doing to the ' local trade'? Is it not better that Laxey and Onchan have 10 viable pubs than 11 not quite so's?

Presume you're not a shareholder?

I believe you are incorrect there. They moved to Molly's Kitchen as it was a bigger "venue" in which to operate. Had you ever visited there, you would have seen just how busy they made that place. The decision to open their own place in Douglas was also the correct one as that place was also a roaring success despite the brewery's attempts to stop them opening. Do you see where this is going? it's not the pub that is a failure, it's the people who run it

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PmJ said:

I believe you are incorrect there. They moved to Molly's Kitchen as it was a bigger "venue" in which to operate. Had you ever visited there, you would have seen just how busy they made that place. The decision to open their own place in Douglas was also the correct one as that place was also a roaring success despite the brewery's attempts to stop them opening. Do you see where this is going? it's not the pub that is a failure, it's the people who run it

Brewery didn’t try to stop them, either in Walpole Avenue or Peveril Square.

Earlier in this thread it was said Hooded Ram was closed. Seems to be open on North Quay and selling Hooded Ram brewed product. Certainly been busy with FB postings.

I noticed the big warehouse on Hills Meadow is up for rent. 

So perhaps it’s not all doom and gloom.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Brewery didn’t try to stop them, either in Walpole Avenue or Peveril Square.

Peveril Square was after Danny passed away. Pretty sure they had problems with the licence for Walpole Avenue though

Just now, PmJ said:

Peveril Square was after Danny passed away. Pretty sure they had problems with the licence for Walpole Avenue though

Yes, because the previous owner, not brewery, surrendered his licence immediately before the transfer should have gone through, and they had to start with a new application from scratch. It’s all on the public record.

1 hour ago, PmJ said:

Corrected. However it still remains that it is not a pub that is a failure but the people who run it

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, because the previous owner, not brewery, surrendered his licence immediately before the transfer should have gone through, and they had to start with a new application from scratch. It’s all on the public record.

Thanks. I was under the impression that the brewery tried to stop them getting a licence. Happy to be corrected

1 hour ago, PmJ said:

Corrected. However it still remains that it is not a pub that is a failure but the people who run it

Very unlikely ever to get a couple like Graham and Danny again. A very hard act to follow

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kopek said:

I would refer you to the above........

''On the Island, the ''pie'' is certainly only so big,''

It is only the way our economy works because our Govt are too afraid to interfere in competition that is to our detriment.

Anyone who has observed our economy over the past 50 years, who has partaken in that economy, will know that a free for all only results in failures to make way for the supposed competition.

If our Govt do not have the balls to do this for us, then it has to be left to business' to do this, through removal of competition such as H & B have done in this case.

Shock Horror, ONE Pub gone!!!

Yes the pie is only so big and at the moment it is a piddling little thing. Potentially it could be a lot healthier.

The brewery needs to draw people away from sofas and six packs. That's not easy I know but as a business that is what they need to do. It needs a variety of venues to draw people out. If it can't be done then let someone else try and fail. Or not. The market will sort it out and decide.

But why put a covenant on the property? In this case it seems short-sighted and petty. But that is the H & B way.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 2