Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

The owner of Oddbins/EFB wanted to open a pub/restaurant fashioned on a wacky warehouse set up near the hospital. This has never got off the ground / alright it competes with a brewery pub, but there are no pubs for miles up there. It is a crying shame it never got off the ground.

The owner of Oddbins/EFB wanted to open a pub/restaurant fashioned on a wacky warehouse set up near the hospital. This has never got off the ground / alright it competes with a brewery pub, but there are no pubs for miles up there. It is a crying shame it never got off the ground.

He's not a member of 'the club' though. Just a guy with a load of wonga who wants to do something constructive with his money and that wouldn't do.

• Like 3

I don't know what Malarkeys public meeting hopes to achieve. The brewery will in all honesty do what they want with the Pinewood. If they want to turn it into a Spar/Post Office it will happen. You can bet your bottom dollar the building or lease won't be sold to someone wishing to open another pub there. There's more chance of the building being demolished for housing - or why not a nursing home?Malarkeys meeting is just Pully Farming on a large scale - plenty of votes, for something that won't be delivered.

• Like 3

Do they own it? I thought it was leased.

I thought the Corpy had that development built and let the shops, flats and pub out.

I thought the Corpy had that development built and let the shops, flats and pub out.

surely if dc owned this property they would not let the brewery place restrictive covenants on dc property,and if they have the whole fucking lot of them need shot.

surely if dc owned this property they would not let the brewery place restrictive covenants on dc property,and if they have the whole fucking lot of them need shot.

Well, I was wrong again !

The Corpy sold it nearly 30 years ago. http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/pulrose-pub-plan-angers-locals-1-1755363

• Like 1

Hi,

New here, i used to holiday in Douglas way back in the 90's.

Is there any people on here who can remember a bar in Douglas from back then, all i remember is that they had the best dozen margaritas ever and i'm sure there was karaoke too ! maybe the bar is gone but does anyone remember what street it was on ?

Also is the quids inn still there, fun times !

Hi,

Is there any people on here who can remember a bar in Douglas from back then, all i remember is that they had the best dozen margaritas ever and i'm sure there was karaoke too ! maybe the bar is gone but does anyone remember what street it was on ?

i'm sure one of our resident pissheads will be able to help out.

Who were Kirkland Limited? Nosey innit? :)

I don't see the problem, the golf club is perfectly situated to rehouse the Pinewood's customers.

Hi,

i'm sure one of our resident pissheads will be able to help out.

Hopefully but it was nearly 20 years ago, Douglas was a great spot back then.

The Lastest from Facebook

We had a meeting last night with Mr Bill Malarkey MHK last about the fuPinewood Membermbermbererer.
The brewery are definitely closing it on Tuesday 5th July.
However due to the fantastic people of Pulrose and the support we've received, the brewery are prepared to let the pinewood be ran as a social club, just like the legion where you pay a membership and in return you get cheaper beer etc.
Mr Bill Malarkey MHK is holding a meeting this Friday 1st July at 6 o'clock in the pinewood to see how we can go about in getting this up and running.
Bill is 100%: behind this venture but he needs the support of the people in and around pully.
So if you want your local boozer to stay open come down Friday and let's get this going

I appreciate the pinewood isn't for everyone so if you have any negative views about it, please keep it to yourself

So when are we getting these Google driverless cars then? They might make pub ownership a reasonable bet once again.

The Lastest from Facebook

We had a meeting last night with Mr Bill Malarkey MHK last about the fuPinewood Membermbermbererer.

The brewery are definitely closing it on Tuesday 5th July.

However due to the fantastic people of Pulrose and the support we've received, the brewery are prepared to let the pinewood be ran as a social club, just like the legion where you pay a membership and in return you get cheaper beer etc.

So if you want your local boozer to stay open come down Friday and let's get this going

I appreciate the pinewood isn't for everyone so if you have any negative views about it, please keep it to yourself

Ah yes - cheap beer in a members club - that's an urban myth I'm afraid. A building has running costs and unless you have unpaid volunteers working your bar, there are wage costs too. Its only when you operate one that you realise how little money there is in pubs - even at H&B prices!!

If you ramp up the number of members and do some function hires, that can help. It is however very hard work.

Edited by piebaps