Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

Returning to the topic. 

Im just back from a long weekend in Dublin.

Stayed on the edge of Temple Bar.

Every bar nearby was heaving. All three evenings, and during the day on Friday and Saturday.

Same elsewhere.

i understand that Dublin is a big city, with a large young and visitor population. 

What the busy places had in common was fast, professional, service, wide choice,  basic, and atmospheric. Bit like Wetherspoons. Where they were unlike Wetherspoons was in pricing. Eye watering. Seems price isn’t the limiter. Or pre loading, because I checked prices in Tesco.

It was very much a social thing.

Went in one place, at one end of Temple Bar that was empty. No atmosphere. Empty. 40 years ago, when I first went, it was busy, 30 years ago. 20 years ago it was done up and became popular for a short while with a fashionable set, but they’ve long gone, and the drinkers haven’t returned.

My friends were drinking. I had half a Guinness, and half an oyster stout, all weekend. I was on water. Didn’t want to be done for drunk in charge of my power chair.

Not sure of the relevance for here. But I see 2 new places opening in Douglas, one imminent, another before TT.

12 minutes ago, Kopek said:

There are lots of fables about Chief Constables, freemasons , car crashes and lifts home.

Probably more accepted in the 60s 70s?

Try the 90's and probably even more recent!

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Returning to the topic. 

Every bar nearby was heaving. All three evenings, and during the day on Friday and Saturday.

Same elsewhere.

i understand that Dublin is a big city, with a large young and visitor population. 

What the busy places had in common was fast, professional, service, wide choice, and basic, and atmospheric. Bit like Wetherspoons. Where they were unlike Wetherspoons was in pricing. Eye watering. Seems price isn’t the limiter. Or pre loading, because I checked prices in Tesco.

Went in one place, at one end of Temple Bar that was empty. No atmosphere. Empty. 40 years ago, when I first went, it was busy, 30 years ago. 20 years ago it was done up and became popular for a short while with a fashionable set, but they’ve long gone, and the drinkers haven’t returned.

Not sure of the relevance for here. But I see 2 new places opening in Douglas, one imminent, another before TT.

Douglas isn't Dublin, I think we've seen the best of day's for the pub trade on the island.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m just bemused by the Lancashire reference. Can only think Barrie doesn’t know where the person he thinks he’s obliquely referring to lives.

Lives now or was there about horse home then. Long time ago.  .I go back to March 1986... I have known judges who liked to drink miles away from their mates and the usual run...

Pubs maybe, but a pub/restaurant as is popular throughout the UK is very desirable 

10 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Pubs maybe, but a pub/restaurant as is popular throughout the UK is very desirable 

Don't have too many decent one's of those though  unfortunately.

44 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Some should have been given lifts home from several watering holes. In a way , I felt sorry for some people convicted of DD by a certain person who shall remain anon.

Lots of people think it is just a Manx legend, but more true than myth. 

Seen him poured into a plodmobile outside woody and I used to go in the boys' bar at the back. They all wanted their own space and little jugs of water and which usually had a Scotch sponsored trade mark..and "Spy" type sketches of advocates on walls when they were younger....Never sit in  their places it was like Peter Pan and nursery school.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Lives now or was there about horse home then. Long time ago.  .I go back to March 1986... I have known judges who liked to drink miles away from their mates and the usual run...

Lived same place since 1979. Never drank in Lancashire. Wouldn’t have needed a lift home if he had. Still don’t get your reference to the Home of Rest. It’s not nearby.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Returning to the topic. 

Same elsewhere.

It's Ireland! You should not be surprised. I've never been in a pub anywhere in Ireland, even in the middle of nowhere, that wasn't bouncing at any time of day.

Not having a dig. I think it's wonderful. I love the Irish and they sure know how to have a good time.

51 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m just bemused by the Lancashire reference. Can only think Barrie doesn’t know where the person he thinks he’s obliquely referring to lives.

That is the point he did not live there.

5 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Am I judicial officer?

You should be, you talk enough shite 

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

It's Ireland! You should not be surprised. I've never been in a pub anywhere in Ireland, even in the middle of nowhere, that wasn't bouncing at any time of day.

Not having a dig. I think it's wonderful. I love the Irish and they sure know how to have a good time.

The Isle of Man was the same up to the late 1970s ?

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

Neighbour of mine is from Dublin and he can’t understand the logic of getting drunk at home then going out. All the fun is having a craic in the pub

• Like 2

Just now, gettafa said:

The Isle of Man was the same up to the late 1970s ?

1980’s even