Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

18 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Returning to the topic. 

Im just back from a long weekend in Dublin.

Stayed on the edge of Temple Bar.

Every bar nearby was heaving. All three evenings, and during the day on Friday and Saturday.

Same elsewhere.

i understand that Dublin is a big city, with a large young and visitor population.

It's Ireland! You should not be surprised. I've never been in a pub anywhere in Ireland, even in the middle of nowhere, that wasn't bouncing at any time of day.

Not having a dig. I think it's wonderful. I love the Irish and they sure know how to have a good time.

51 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m just bemused by the Lancashire reference. Can only think Barrie doesn’t know where the person he thinks he’s obliquely referring to lives.

That is the point he did not live there.

5 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

Am I judicial officer?

You should be, you talk enough shite 

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

It's Ireland! You should not be surprised. I've never been in a pub anywhere in Ireland, even in the middle of nowhere, that wasn't bouncing at any time of day.

Not having a dig. I think it's wonderful. I love the Irish and they sure know how to have a good time.

The Isle of Man was the same up to the late 1970s ?

4 minutes ago, woolley said:

Neighbour of mine is from Dublin and he can’t understand the logic of getting drunk at home then going out. All the fun is having a craic in the pub

• Like 2

Just now, gettafa said:

1980’s even

10 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

1980’s even

1990's even.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’m just bemused by the Lancashire reference. Can only think Barrie doesn’t know where the person he thinks he’s obliquely referring to lives.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

Neighbour of mine is from Dublin and he can’t understand the logic of getting drunk at home then going out. All the fun is having a craic in the pub

Unfortunately, there is the reasonable perception that it is cheaper to get 'primed' on cheap booze at home before going out and joining the pub 'craic'. But the pub 'craic' is a journey rather than a stop-off and join in situation. So the pub gets full of primed-up drunks who have arrived from a different planet so to speak. But even so, many stay at home after a few supermarket drinks and couldn't be arsed going out because the pubs are quiet because so many  people are at home getting pissed who would rather be at home getting pissed because the pubs are full of people who have come out after getting pissed at home and..and...so the downward spiral goes.

There used to be a stigma for drinking at home. Not any more and many folk see it as simple financial common sense. And people avoid the public condemnation of being pissed in public down the pub because now they can do it at home and nobody knows/cares. Not even the shopkeeper, and the supermarkets are well used to people putting their £100+ a week on booze into the shopping trolley. Perfectly normal.

49 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

1980’s even

Nah, it started tailing off noticeably then. And pubs started closing on the Island.

47 minutes ago, finlo said:

1990's even.

Better than now of course and I would love even those days back.

The Isle of Man was the booze capital of Britain for over a century and nobody did it better. And all day pubs were unheard of other than on that proverbial rock in the Irish Sea.

Edited by gettafa

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

In the season, perhaps.

• Thanks 1

Yep, I'd agree.

Off season, the pubs were closed all day Sunday, but religion didn't count in the summer, probably because the true religion for the Isle of Man was/is money, money,  money. And booze. Except on a Sunday. In the winter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Returning to the topic. 

Im just back from a long weekend in Dublin.

Every bar nearby was heaving. All three evenings, and during the day on Friday and Saturday.

Amazing how lots of pubs can exist, with different owners, and operate and be competitive and still bring in a lot of customers and revenue without each harming the business of the others. Is it possible that could exist here, instead of the Brewery trying to apply a 15th century guild economic model to the 21st century service economy?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rushen Spy said:

Amazing how lots of pubs can exist, with different owners, and operate and be competitive and still bring in a lot of customers and revenue without each harming the business of the others. Is it possible that could exist here, instead of the Brewery trying to apply a 15th century guild economic model to the 21st century service economy?

What ?

By its very nature the trade needs competition, variety and options. Having a (near) monopoly brewery stifles the industry. 

The market isn't static and it's a long way from finite.

Meanwhile, those drink shelves in Tesco and Winerite keep getting filled and emptied. Like the tide.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Hardly a good thing.

Ireland has the second highest rate of binge drinking in the world.

How alcohol affects Ireland in 4 stark graphs.