Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

42 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

I'll stick my neck out here and guess that not many people declare tips on their tax returns. There, I've said it...

Pointless doing that if you work in food service or - presumably - hairdressing

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Pointless doing that if you work in food service or - presumably - hairdressing

Why should tips be subject to tax ? FFS has this world gone completely mad ?.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Our government has,  desperate to ensure it's own pensions roll in unabated.

• Like 1

Just now, finlo said:

Our government has,  desperate to ensure it's own pensions roll in unabated.

I remember working as a taxi driver and the tax office assuming what tips I received. I don't remember any CS tipping that well if at all tight twats

I am all for user pays and all being equal, but if I have paid my tax on my income, then go for a meal and receive good service. Why should any tip I give be subject to even more tax, when paid to someone earning a shit wage. ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I remember working as a taxi driver and the tax office assuming what tips I received. I don't remember any CS tipping that well if at all tight twats

I am all for user pays and all being equal, but if I have paid my tax on my income, then go for a meal and receive good service. Why should any tip I give be subject to even more tax, when paid to someone earning a shit wage. ?

Welcome to the real IOM!

8 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Many bar staff don't work enough hours to reach the lower tax threshold.

Then some twat taxes their tips.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, finlo said:

Welcome to the real IOM!

Pisses me off big time having been born here to see this sad situation happening.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Then some twat taxes their tips.

Well, we have been trying to tell you what a fucked up place the island has become for several year's!

• Like 4

Grab, grab, grab. If it's true, they've got to have their fingernails into the bottom of the barrel by now.

• Like 1

Same tax rules apply in the UK. Not aware of any specific Gov crackdown here, maybe just H&B being careful or having been advised to take care. Or as someone has said, splitting out the tips to allow for those given on card which don't go straight to the person.

I know of some professions where they are advised/told not to tip as it is generally accepted that they won't be declared, so it's effectively facilitating tax avoidance.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Do police officers pay the going rate for their drugs?

Do police officers pay at all?

(Do police officers take drugs? No.)

15 hours ago, dilligaf said:

'Twas always thus

14 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Same tax rules apply in the UK. Not aware of any specific Gov crackdown here, maybe just H&B being careful or having been advised to take care. Or as someone has said, splitting out the tips to allow for those given on card which don't go straight to the person.

I know of some professions where they are advised/told not to tip as it is generally accepted that they won't be declared, so it's effectively facilitating tax avoidance.

In the UK a lot of chains take an 'administrative fee' for distributing gratuities to their staff

Appalling way to treat your own team members but there you are

It is little wonder these chains often go 'tits up'

• Like 2

Last Friday, 12th April, was the date when the licensing authority were going to consider the appeal by the brewery, against the decision to refuse the change of use of the Liverpool Arms from public house to domestic dwelling. Has anyone heard what was decided?

26 minutes ago, rf382 said:

Last Friday, 12th April, was the date when the licensing authority were going to consider the appeal by the brewery, against the decision to refuse the change of use of the Liverpool Arms from public house to domestic dwelling. Has anyone heard what was decided?

It’s nothing to do with licensing.

Its planning.

Aren't planning appeals dealt with by inspectors, who give their report to the minister, who then actually makes the decision?

So inspector has to write his report and minister has to consider it and either accept, or hand down his own decision, with reasons.

• Like 2