Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Tempus Fugit

Pubs closing

H & B are again demonstrating how out of touch they are by raising prices in its pubs again today, for the second time in two months.

No wonder the pubs are empty most of the time.crying.gif

• Like 1

Someone in the brewery does not understand the price elasticity of demand. Okells bitter is hardly a Giffen commodity. I drink about 4 pints most weeks and usually one of them is verging on that border of being undrinkable, but not enough to take it back to the bar staff.

My student days beer on the Isle of Man was significantly cheaper than anywhere in UK. It must rank with the most expensive these days. What has changed?

I drink about 4 pints most weeks and usually one of them is verging on that border of being undrinkable, but not enough to take it back to the bar staff.

Full marks for sticking at it! I think I'd have given up long ago if that were the case.

• Like 1

Christ knows what they'll do when Speaker Watterson brings in his sugar tax

Pubs are a dying breed over here. Times have changed. People no longer want to get ripped off in an empty room anymore. There's more life in my living room than most boozers and I can get four bottles of Peroni for the price of a pint while watching the footie as well.

The brewery needs to alter it's business model not just keep flogging a failing one.

• Like 7

Okells bitter is not even brewed on the Island now and has markedly deteriorated in quality, being very prone to going flat.

If they are deliberately trying to close pubs then they are going to succeed in no time at all.

I didn't know that mannin1

Well said Lxxx.

But in this respect I am a diehard.

I drink about 4 pints most weeks and usually one of them is verging on that border of being undrinkable, but not enough to take it back to the bar staff.

Full marks for sticking at it! I think I'd have given up long ago if that were the case.

Maybe this 5p a pint or whatever is the straw that will do the trick.

I like the bar, I like the bar staff etc. I suppose it is my local. I don't want to give it up. I really don't. But it's as if the brewery are playing a game with me.

To give a positive balance, occasionally the beer is beautiful, refreshing and well, moreish. And that is when I seize the moment and might have an extra pint or two. So I suggest the brewey account needs to have knowledge of the commodity he is dealing with. There is more to the art of beer drinking and it's brewing than the bottom line.

Okells bitter is not even brewed on the Island now

Eh?? Where's it brewed then?

In the IRIS plant if the last time I tried it was anything to go by.....

• Like 10

It is brewed on the island, all their beers are, but the ones that get bottled are shipped away to be bottled and then shipped back again. Which is weird.

They should stop selling the IPA on draught, it is loads better bottled, and they should make sure that MPA is always on because it is fucking gorgeous. The last price rise annoyed me a bit, it put the price up to a straight £3, this one is just awful. I liked it when it was £2.95 because you could tell how many pints you'd had next day by counting the 5ps. I had 16 one morning, and a very very bad head.

• Like 4

Okells bitter is not even brewed on the Island now and has markedly deteriorated in quality, being very prone to going flat.

If they are deliberately trying to close pubs then they are going to succeed in no time at all.

I think you'll find it is. In fact it is also shipped off island to the various brewery owned pubs in Liverpool and Manchester

H & B are again demonstrating how out of touch they are by raising prices in its pubs again today, for the second time in two months.

No wonder the pubs are empty most of the time.crying.gif

Personally, I get the feeling that they have forgotten what they are/were a brewery. Brewing seems to have all but disappeared to be taken over by haulage and storage.

I see pubs that were busy mid week empty even at weekends now. It may be a change in culture - but the brewery certainly have to carry their share of the blame.

And Convenience stores.

To be fair to the owners they have proper business acumen in that they diversified their business when they could see that there was only a route backwards in being predominantly a pub owner/brewer.

Pubs and Clubs are closing all over the UK. It isn't an IOM centric issue.

They seem to dabble with a variety of things rather than go into one thing singlemindedly. Like they dabbled with chip shops for a while. They dabble with a few pubs across, but not many. Obviously works for them but the grand plan seems to be well hidden if there is one. They're well financed going way back so maybe they don't see any need for revolution.