Hitherto unstated complications of Brexit

Barrie Stevens

But would a vote of the UK saying the EU should reform have carried any more weight than Cameron going there and saying "please reform"? Once it has collapsed under the strain of its internal economic strains, maybe a loose trade association can be fostered without the integrationists. That would be a result.

That's a big if, and in the meantime the UK's economy has nosedived and isn't expected to recover for years. I stand by my opinion that it was far too a complicated issue to be decided by a simple question and the general public.

Really?

But would a vote of the UK saying the EU should reform have carried any more weight than Cameron going there and saying "please reform"? Once it has collapsed under the strain of its internal economic strains, maybe a loose trade association can be fostered without the integrationists. That would be a result.

That's a big if, and in the meantime the UK's economy has nosedived and isn't expected to recover for years. I stand by my opinion that it was far too a complicated issue to be decided by a simple question and the general public.

Really?

Well the £ is currently sitting around a 31 year low and the BoE have stated (in typical understated language) that "There is evidence that some risks have begun to crystallise. The current outlook for UK financial stability is challenging". Sound pretty glum to me, but on the plus side people will be able to weigh their banana in lbs again.

Really?

Well the £ is currently sitting around a 31 year low and the BoE have stated (in typical understated language) that "There is evidence that some risks have begun to crystallise. The current outlook for UK financial stability is challenging". Sound pretty glum to me, but on the plus side people will be able to weigh their banana in lbs again.

Here we go again with bullshit..... this is what was reported on 11th February 2016. Big drops in the FTSE100/250 and GBP.... did anyone on here mark that day out as being cataclismic?:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35548117

ETA: and here: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35549264

Edited by Andy Onchan

Really?

Here we go again with bullshit..... this is what was reported on 11th February 2016. Big drops in the FTSE100/250 and GBP.... did anyone on here mark that day out as being cataclismic?:

Meanwhile in the fatherland, they've caught a cold as well: http://www.euronews.com/2016/07/08/german-exports-plunge-in-may/

Really?

Why is it bullshit? If you look at the trend over the last year - http://www.x-rates.com/graph/?from=GBP&to=USD&amount=1 - and you'll see a steadily falling value that nosedives after Brexit. Not sure how the can be described as anything else.

Have a look at - http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=USD&view=10Y - and you'll see it has fallen below the 2008 recession level. I appreciate that it can be a longterm game but the BoE is saying that the outlook isn't good and in the intervening time people will suffer, not those promoted the Brexit obviously as they are all wealthy enough not to be.

It's a long game, not a fortnight's wonder.

Exactly.

I hope your right (I don't live in the UK but have family there who will be affected) but I'm struggling to find any positive news or predictions coming from any reliable sources, the latest BoE statement is worrying. Are you two aware of any evidence to the contrary?

It's a long game, not a fortnight's wonder.

Exactly.

I hope your right (I don't live in the UK but have family there who will be affected) but I'm struggling to find any positive news or predictions coming from any reliable sources, the latest BoE statement is worrying. Are you two aware of any evidence to the contrary?

You are just seeing the initial shock of the financial markets and the scheming of some of the smarter speculators. Media hacks love wallowing in bad news so I wouldn't attach too much legitimacy to the headlines. I think the BoE statements are scandalous, frankly, and go to prove where their sentiments lay! So long as there is underlying value in UK companies (and there is!) they will come back and leave the EU trailing. We need the uncertainty of the immediate upheaval out of the way. We need some good trade deals done and some "open for business" measures to bring in investment. Might take a couple of years to calm down. It might also be the EU side that has the bigger financial cataclysms over those years.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 3

FWIW my gold investments have gone up 47% since the start of the year and silver 66%. We're not talking huge amounts but it does show the arse hasn't fell out of the whole world like many of here preach every day.

• Like 1

FWIW my gold investments have gone up 47% since the start of the year and silver 66%. We're not talking huge amounts but it does show the arse hasn't fell out of the whole world like many of here preach every day.

Shame that Gordon Brown sold loads of the stuff before leaving office.

Really? I'd say that's exactly what it shows.

Not really. It's just an asset class that moves in cycles like all others. Granted it moves on sentiment but like all things if you diversify you ride out the market fluctuations.

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 1

Exactly right. I bought gold and silver but purely as a hedge and it worked out well because what I've made has hedged losses I've taken on equities and currency elsewhere. I'd say the current values of gold and silver prove exactly that people are still worried about the arse dropping out of everything (or that the arse is slowly dropping out of everything). There's also plenty of people saying well the indexes are up so Brexit has had little impact but there plenty big losers hidden amongst the general index numbers. Bank shares in particular which are a common holding in people's pensions have taken a right battering for one.