Ramsey Candidate seeks to balance Tynwald and work

Grianane

Grianane said: His repose was decent apparently he makes a voluntary addition payment to the commissioners for his sheltered housing rent, and he's entitled to be there - its just the system thats wrong.

So we are to believe that dear Lenny has never been in a position to remedy any wrongs in the system then?

Did he say how much?

Thank you those who have taken the time to give their views of the Requisition meeting.

I'm totally disheartened by the options available in Ramsey.

At the moment I'm really stuck.

Singer - No. He's had his opportunities.

Allinson - No. I don't want a part time MHK doubling as my part time GP. The Ramsey electorate and the Group Practice and its patients need more respect than that.

Hooper -No. Lib Van just doesn't do it for me, never did.

Crowe - No. Hoist by his own petard on social media.

McDonough - No. Not right either.

• Like 1

Thank you those who have taken the time to give their views of the Requisition meeting.

Allinson - No. I don't want a part time MHK doubling as my part time GP. The Ramsey electorate and the Group Practice and its patients need more respect than that.

+1. And it's a scenario throughout the Island. Lack of credible, viable candidates. Next administration will be interesting.

• Like 4

It's rebellion then Addie!

• Like 1

Grianane said: His repose was decent apparently he makes a voluntary addition payment to the commissioners for his sheltered housing rent, and he's entitled to be there - its just the system thats wrong.

So we are to believe that dear Lenny has never been in a position to remedy any wrongs in the system then?

Did he say how much?

Lovely Lenny has been an old school MHK for so long that commercial confidentiality runs through his veins.

• Like 3

It's rebellion then Addie!

Head South and vote for Hampy instead.

• Like 2

+1. And it's a scenario throughout the Island. Lack of credible, viable candidates. Next administration will be interesting.

Is that "interesting" as in "nightmarishly dreadful"?

• Like 2

Is that "interesting" as in "nightmarishly dreadful"?

That's more like it. It's not going to be a question of the CS and vested interests running rings around these hopefuls - it's how many rings?

• Like 1

.................there's just too many mhk s and there should be no mlc s.

voting should be island wide for each of say, ten mhk places with the salary of the existing number of mhk s divided between them.

we MAY then, just be able to scrape a group with some talents to work together to raise the island from the doldrums.

..................might just work?

Grianane - very good summary

I was disappointed that Eddie Teare allowed the attack on Singer to carry on as long as it did. I'm no fan of the man but it wasn't what I was there to hear, struck me as being more about grandstanding by the questioner.

I thought Dr Allinson handled the questions about his split role well and whilst I agree with you that I suspect his split role won't last I felt he acknowledged that and said he would see how it went and change if necessary. Seemed a sensible approach to me.

Hooper took a leaf out of the Wilf Young book of politics and vowed to not achieve or promise anything but fight against the shackles of government. He also said he was going for coffee with lots of prospective MHK's in order to work together with them all. That struck me as being a bit of a dichotomy. He seemed to set his stall out as not being in Government but being on the outside criticising/scrutinising? Very LibVan in that regard.

Agree completely with your assessment of Crowe and McDonough.

I also agree that Bell was most underrated in his time as an MHK. I fear that if Hooper gets in he will become the Peter Karran of the north and just become a disenfranchised voice of discontent. I may be wrong in that regard though and with precious little choice on the table it feels very much a case of tossing a coin between Singer and Hooper for 2nd place behind Allinson.

I'm not a Ramsey voter but really enjoyed reading such balanced and well written assessments as this, and that of Grianane. Interestingly, a friend of mine went to the meeting intending to vote for Hooper and came away with quite a different view - reflecting exactly your "Karran of the North" observation - felt that Hooper would become a professional complainant and government "knocker" leaving Ramsey on the outside, looking in. Edited by Uhtred
  • Like 1