Douglas South

Mission

The low turnout was no doubt because this was a foregone conclusion, the Cretney vote was with Malarkey we all do our bit for democracy by voting Kate.

I doubt if there was an all island constituency and a list system that I would ever vote for Kate Beecroft. For all those whining about low turnouts it is the obviously unrepresentative nature of our system that drives this.

I disagree. From the people I spoke to in two elections, not one person cited this as a reason for not being interested in voting.

Well you admit you did not speak to many people, and for those I speak to lack of representation is the biggest issue in low turnout.

What incentive is there to vote for candidates that don't represent your views or that you think would be fairly rubbish at moving the Island forward?

I voted for you by the way not because I found you inspiring just I did not vote at the last by-election and Malarkey got back in so I felt obliged to try and do my bit to right that wrong.

• Like 1

As a Douglas South constituent I have to say Cretters backing Malarkey is very disappointing and that's putting it mildly,

But it's up to the challengers to get out there and get their message to the electorate.

Personally I know little of Keith Fitton and his achievments?

Personally I know little of Keith Fitton and his achievments?

As mentioned elsewhere, in the 2015 by-election, we knocked on almost every voter's door. This time because I was so late declaring, I put out a newsletter then followed it up with the manifesto. Both encouraged people to get in touch with me directly if they wanted to know more about me, because I couldn't possibly get around everyone this time. Quite a few people did so but obviously, not enough. The number of people voting for Kate & Bill was much bigger than I'd expected and Bill also led the way in plump votes, which was his declared tactic, encouraging people to vote just for him.

Perhaps if I'd been in a position to start earlier, I'd have made more impact, but circumstances dictated otherwise. Still, I've stood twice, now I'll return to quietly ranting about perceived injustices on social media!

I'm happy to say I voted for Mr Fitton, having read all of the manifesto's I thought him worthy of my vote. However I do think that certain areas of the constituency are always targeted by candidates whilst others never seem to get a second thought, even though their votes count just the same.

The election statistics are a but surprising and Douglas South is a bit extreme.

If you measure % Turnout as No. of voters who turned up as a % of Total who were registered to vote (sounds obvious but as everyone has 2 votes but not all used them both its not the same as % of votes applied compared to votes allowed) then Douglas South is 40.4%, only marginally ahead of Douglas East at 40.15%. The botttom 5 places are occupied by Douglas (x4) and Onchan.

Either the candidates were not good at getting the voters excited or the electorate here are more apathetic than the other areas.

Douglas and Onchan also populate the lower places when sorting by Standard Deviation of votes allocated to candidates. I take this to mean the other areas were either more able or more prepared to distinguish between candidates they preferred or not.

I said something similar in the Down South thread. I think in Douglas across the board the candidates were often so poor people couldn't even be bothered to spend the time to determine the least poor candidate. You also have two votes which is useless if you can't even find one candidate you think isn't mentally unwell in some way. Better not to vote at all than accidentally let 2 idiots in by voting for the two least poor candidates you can find.

• Like 1

There were over 1000 idiots who voted for Malarkey.

Yes but how many of those were second votes from people who also voted for Beecroft who also polled high? The dual vote system is a bit of a rip off if you ask me. I did a plump vote in my constituency. Why the hell would I want to accidentally see some idiot get in by default because I feel obligated to but two "X"s on a form that consisted on one decent candidate and three others who were pretty poor? Each vote counts equally it's not like you get a 1st or 2nd preference.

Edited by BossHogg

I said something similar in the Down South thread. I think in Douglas across the board the candidates were often so poor people couldn't even be bothered to spend the time to determine the least poor candidate. You also have two votes which is useless if you can't even find one candidate you think isn't mentally unwell in some way. Better not to vote at all than accidentally let 2 idiots in by voting for the two least poor candidates you can find.

Some of the Douglas candidates were desperately poor,couldn't even manage a manifesto worthy to warrant being elected as a Councillor or Commissioner.

• Like 1

There were over 1000 idiots who voted for Malarkey.

Yes but how many of those were second votes from people who also voted for Beecroft who also polled high? The dual vote system is a bit of a rip off if you ask me. I did a plump vote in my constituency. Why the hell would I want to accidentally see some idiot get in by default because I feel obligated to but two "X"s on a form that consisted on one decent candidate and three others who were pretty poor? Each vote counts equally it's not like you get a 1st or 2nd preference.

Yes but there is no excuse in Douglas South really.

Keith was a really viable candidate. Malarkey has already proven incapable. Twice.

He needs the package. Nothing more or less. I can tell you now he'll make fuck all difference over the next 5 years aside of looking for a jump to the old boys club as an MLC if he thought he could.

If only the Manx Labour Party had the courage & conviction to ditch Cretters our political world could be a whole lot different

If MLP/David Cretney does not have any more plans than what they dished up for the Election, they should consider disbanding - having failed to get any candidates elected, or even close to being elected !

The real mystery is why, given how well Keith Fitton did in the by-election, Lib Van didn't put up both him and Beecroft as candidates in the constituency. I suspect both would have been elected as Beecroft voters would have been less tempted to but Malarkey as second choice and people would have voted the Lib Van 'ticket'. This sort of thing actually helps both candidates.

I'm happy to say I voted for Mr Fitton, having read all of the manifesto's I thought him worthy of my vote. However I do think that certain areas of the constituency are always targeted by candidates whilst others never seem to get a second thought, even though their votes count just the same.

This is the great mystery of Douglas politics. Everyone thinks Douglas South is 'about' council housing in Pulrose and Anagh Coar, but if you look at the figures[1], the private housing in Ballaughton polling district makes up 63% of the voters (and there is private housing in the Pulrose PD as well). The council housing in the St Georges PD was also moved out of Douglas South this election as well. But still everyone behaves as if we were living in 1975 and ignores Ballaughton. I wonder if part of the reason for the low turnout over the year in the constituency is that the latter voters feel neglected and return the compliment at the ballot box. It may also be that the area contains a lot of voters comparatively new to the Island who do not feel connected to Manx politics.

[1] The 2011 registered voters by polling district via the Boundary Commission are Anagh Coar 811, Ballaughton 2771 and Pulrose 808.

• Like 1