Religious Extremism

fredtosser

No the point is that it is all fucking rubbish, and studying rubbish and having qualifications in rubbish does not stop it all being rubbish, and 'educated people' should know better but in your case no.

At face value, that seems a deliberately ignorant perspective. How can we hope to understand the entire history of ideas unless those ideas are formally studied? How people think and what they believe today, how those ideas evolve - directly relates to the entire history of ideas. Theology is an important part of history.

Edited by pongo
  • Like 1

No the point is that it is all fucking rubbish, and studying rubbish and having qualifications in rubbish does not stop it all being rubbish, and 'educated people' should know better but in your case no.

At face value, that seems a deliberately ignorant perspective. How can we hope to understand the entire history of ideas unless those ideas are formally studied? How people think and what they believe today, how those ideas evolve - directly relates to the entire history of ideas. Theology is an important part of history.

I accept that western philosophy has evolved in the context of christianity, but the basic premise of Christian belief is faith not evidence. Ideas and concepts of morality in the church largely come from tribal / family contexts in the early times and Christianity has always been adapted then for whatever reason gets stuck, just look at the Church of England and you will see a reflection of Victorian values and practices not those of biblical times nor modern times.

Ultimately it is a deep rooted belief that followers want to see in a leader, and you would not get that from examining the biblical texts, you either need to be unquestioning of what you have been fed or a charlatan.

Edited by j2bad
  • Like 1

'The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit.' (1 Corinthians 2:14) People were attacking Christians 2,000 years ago for being poor fishermen and farmers and not scholars. Now they attack Christians for not being scholars. There's no pleasing some people.

You're right. As Christians we are not here to please or gain approval from worldly people who put stock in worldly wisdom. It is like the Apostle Paul said in Galatians 1:10: "Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." We are in the world but we do not belong to it. We belong to Christ. We are told in John 15:19: "if you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you." So much of what I've read so far in this discussion supports what the Bible says about how we would be seen by the world. The reason Christians do not come on here and debate with you is because you are negative and only want to throw mud. It is like it says in Matthew 7:6: "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces." Please don't take that as an insult. If you are really open to the Spirit, you are best to pray and ask God to reveal Himself to you and guide you to a church that is right for you. Arguing doesn't lead anywhere, it's just two sides entrenched in their opinions, usually insulting each other and nobody comes away from it the better for it.

There's this sentence ive heard some of them quote from the bible that says something like "don't give your pearls to pigs". They mean that their beliefs are like pearls, anyone criticising them are like pigs, and it's a waste of their precious pearls to give them to ignorant pigs like us. !

You were right!

• Like 2

The reason Christians do not come on here and debate with you is because you are negative and only want to throw mud.

Wrong, there are plenty Christians on here who have debated before, this however is about Living Hope and their cultish behaviour, surely you must as a christian be concerned with their practices?

You're right. As Christians we are not here to please or gain approval from worldly people who put stock in worldly wisdom. It is like the Apostle Paul said in Galatians 1:10: "Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." We are in the world but we do not belong to it. We belong to Christ. We are told in John 15:19: "if you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you." So much of what I've read so far in this discussion supports what the Bible says about how we would be seen by the world. The reason Christians do not come on here and debate with you is because you are negative and only want to throw mud. It is like it says in Matthew 7:6: "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces." Please don't take that as an insult. If you are really open to the Spirit, you are best to pray and ask God to reveal Himself to you and guide you to a church that is right for you. Arguing doesn't lead anywhere, it's just two sides entrenched in their opinions, usually insulting each other and nobody comes away from it the better for it.

To be fair someone does. In this case Living Hope with 10% of gullible peoples hard earned coin.

Only because you lot "who are without sin" keep throwing the first stones.!

I have no idea if Boer4Jesus will respond, but there is in my mind a stark divide between his world view and that of people like me, sceptical of religious claims.

He cherry picks Bible verses to try to make it a virtue not to have to cast his oh so valuable pearls before us swine - Is Manx Forums excluded from the Great Commission, Boer4Jesus?

He insists he is above us worldly people. He doesn't need to rely on "worldly wisdom", and exercises his persecution complex being "hated by the world".

Oh goodness.

I wonder if Boer4Jesus ever wonders in a lonely moment of doubt about the words "I never knew you" where people who called Jesus Lord and who felt sure they were a part of the chosen were cast aside?

He seems so sure he has the right to cast opinions on us worldly folk, and I wonder if he has certain opinions about the validity of science, homosexuality, the inerrancy of the bible and his interpretation of it?

It must be so good knowing with such faith that God approves of him enjoying the 10% tithe people have give to escape the eternal Hell Fire he promises they will endure if they do not remain in his church.

I'm sure Boer4Jesus can happily dismiss me as being one of those who's heart has been deliberately hardened by God so I can be dammed - such a loving god, deliberately deluding me to believe in a lie.

It's all so simple - cherry pick the bible to justify what you want, denounce anyone who doesn't accept you as being satanic or dammed and insist you have the true and only path to salvation while living off the worldly sweat of those who tithe their earnings to you in the hope of salvation.

Oh well, maybe some Tim Michin to lighten the mood.

You've misspelt your user name. Should be Bore4jesus.

I have no idea if Boer4Jesus will respond, but there is in my mind a stark divide between his world view and that of people like me, sceptical of religious claims.

You don't have to start a new paragraph every time you start a new sentence. It's very difficult to reply to you and I've just had to open up a different browser so I could use the quoting feature.

The only worldview I have, as a Christian, is that we should all love each other, live in peace and "do unto others" as we would have them do unto us (Luke 6:31). It says in 1 John 4:16 that "God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him". Love is my worldview. What is yours?

He cherry picks Bible verses to try to make it a virtue not to have to cast his oh so valuable pearls before us swine - Is Manx Forums excluded from the Great Commission, Boer4Jesus?

He insists he is above us worldly people. He doesn't need to rely on "worldly wisdom", and exercises his persecution complex being "hated by the world".

Oh goodness.

There is a difference between worldly people and worldly wisdom. We're all worldly people, sinners in need of a savior, but Christians are born again which doesn't mean we are better than others. In Ecclesiastes 7:20, it says there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins. This is true of Christians as much as the next person but wut we're saved by grace through faith, sealed by the blood of Christ and his righteous sacrifice on the cross, not by any righteousness on our part.

I wonder if Boer4Jesus ever wonders in a lonely moment of doubt about the words "I never knew you" where people who called Jesus Lord and who felt sure they were a part of the chosen were cast aside?

No. Why would I?

He seems so sure he has the right to cast opinions on us worldly folk, and I wonder if he has certain opinions about the validity of science, homosexuality, the inerrancy of the bible and his interpretation of it?

We all have a right to an opinion.
As a verb, my opinion is that science is valid. As a system, I side with with Karl Popper and Thomas Kuhn that it's a social construct and not the pure field of study that some would have us believe when comparing it with religion. Naturalism and atheism are two dogmatic philosophies which have no place in real science.
In asking for my opinion on homosexuality, are you asking me if I like it? I can't say that I've ever tried it.
The biblical texts in their original languages are inerrant. Translations and interpretations are open to error.

It must be so good knowing with such faith that God approves of him enjoying the 10% tithe people have give to escape the eternal Hell Fire he promises they will endure if they do not remain in his church.

It must be good knowing life has no meaning or value and we're all evolved from primordial soup which turned into fish which had monkeys for grandkids.
I'm nothing to do with the leadership of Living Hope but I am sure the tithes go to fund charity, events, rent, costs, administration, not to anybody's pocket. You wouldn't be happy unless every pastor was living on the street in a cardboard box. I see nothing wrong with them being paid a salary so they can pay bills and support a family like anybody else. You're happy the likes of Dawkins and Hawking can be multimillionaires selling books (I wonder how much they give to charity), but Darwin forbid that a pastor might make anything more than a meager wage.

I'm sure Boer4Jesus can happily dismiss me as being one of those who's heart has been deliberately hardened by God so I can be dammed - such a loving god, deliberately deluding me to believe in a lie.

He died on the cross for you. What greater love is there? (John 15:13)

It's all so simple - cherry pick the bible to justify what you want, denounce anyone who doesn't accept you as being satanic or dammed and insist you have the true and only path to salvation while living off the worldly sweat of those who tithe their earnings to you in the hope of salvation.

No man or church has the true and only path to salvation. Christ is the only path to salvation. Nobody sends me tithy money. I have a normal job, I don't work in a church. You do like making assumptions. Nobody can buy salvation, it is given freely, by grace through faith (Romans 13). There is nobody to my knowledge saying tithe and you'll go to heaven or don't tithe and you'll go to hell. If they are saying this, they are liars. It's all about Jesus. You go to heaven through Jesus.
I hope that cleared things up.

Oh well, maybe some Tim Michin to lighten the mood.

• Like 1