Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
fredtosser

Religious Extremism

Not so. Science of all sorts is continually open to scrutiny from all others including scientists. Science does not start with a theory and then look for evidence to support it but the other way around and that process is continuous and open to continual modification and evolution as we know more. Religious belief on the other had resists all attempts to stifle question and modification. Dogma at its finest.

Sure, science aint perfect but it has progressed us considerably since the industrial revolution. Religious dogma seems to have been less beneficial.

PS use of the description true < just about anything> exposes the writer to accusation of that specified logical fallacy. I should not have handed that to you on a plate.

no need to worry, was way over my head

Most of this thread is over my head too.

I just thank God that I am not religious. !

• Like 1

Anyone would think Woolley has some sort of agenda by turning the conversation towards Islam, whilst ignoring the very common and real problem of Christian extremism.

Ever day instances of Christian parents trying to pray away serious illnesses in children, Westboro Baptist, attacks on Sikhs (because they are brown and dress funny), murdering abortion doctors and bombing family planning centres...the list goes on.

Like Woolley and his ilk it is all too easy to fall into the media fuelled anti Muslim agenda and forget that all religions are capable of and willing to commit terrorism.

It's a form of appeasement in fact, and a particularly insidious one at that. Because this time, the enemy is within and the appeasement is of our own minds. We sense that we really should do something, but we carry on with the blandishments to find other excuses instead. "Oh. He must be mental, poor dear."

Apart from the moronic liberals who are totally brainwashed in any case.

Religious terrorism has always been inside our society.

Nutter christians, catholics, muslims....all nutters, except recently muslims have been under the scope because it fits the narrative of the day to keep the war in the Middle East going.

Insult Jesus? Well, everyone's at it aren't they? It's almost fashionable. Nobody cares. Insult the prophet? You might soon be lying in the street with your throat cut. Not the same sense of humour, you see.

• Like 1

When you have Christians specifically insulting the prophet with the sole intent of antagonising Muslims...neither side has sympathy from me.

But like I say, gotta keep demonising those Muslims so it make its more palatable for us to keep bombing them for living on top of our resources...

Yeah, all was sweetness and light in the Middle East until the very point Bush/Blair poked their noses in rolleyes.gif .

• Like 2

When you have Christians specifically insulting the prophet with the sole intent of antagonising Muslims..

There is a freedom of speech and of the press to which all are subject in the West. It's the way it's interpreted by different groups. Christians just shrug and get on with it. Muslims, even the mainstream, think their religion should have special status and be above criticism or lampoon. They see those who make the comments or draw the cartoons as the extremists and themselves as perfectly reasonable. They are encouraged to this view by the wilfully blind liberals who see their point and side with them as they do on many other things such as womens' rights and fgm. "It's their culture and we have to make allowances."

• Like 1

I'm not sure who created this thread but I was once corrected by a professor for using the phrase "religious extremist". I said "...religious radical, then?..." and he said that was ok. I can see his point.

your much vaunted freedom of speech doesn't really apply in the case of israel though does it woollster?

Hmmmm. I don't really class Israel as "the West", although it's the nearest thing to a democracy in the region. There is more free speech than in any of the neighbouring states but it is after all in a constant state of siege.

Religious terrorism has always been inside our society.

Nutter christians, catholics, muslims....all nutters, except recently muslims have been under the scope because it fits the narrative of the day to keep the war in the Middle East going.

what was the narrative for "the troubles"?