Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
fredtosser

Religious Extremism

Why are you all wasting your time with this?

Says the man with 24,000 posts.:thumbsup:

I'm all for multi-culturism etc etc and am effectively colour blind.

However, as a christian, I'm also aware that as a nation we take the piss out of religion.

Any and every religion.

That's our culture.

You don't like it then fine.

Piss off back to some third world shit-hole that has a culture of eg subjugating women.

I won't miss you one little bit....

You're not all for multiculturalism in that case. Because what you describe as unacceptable is the culture of some people as you say yourself. I fully agree with your sentiment by the way, but it's not going to happen.

However, as a christian, I'm also aware that as a nation we take the piss out of religion.

Any and every religion.

That's our culture.

Piss off back to some third world shit-hole that has a culture of eg subjugating women.

Subjugating women? You mean by spending centuries trying to ensure that they can't progress through the Christian church to be priests or bishops until the 21st century hit?

Any and every religion.

That's our culture.

Subjugating women? You mean by spending centuries trying to ensure that they can't progress through the Christian church to be priests or bishops until the 21st century hit?

Spurious comparison.

• Like 1

Or in the case of living hope, subjugation of women is still the norm. Women are not allowed to speak or lead.

Isn't religion exploiting the basic human condition of needing to refer to a higher authority? Parents, bosses, peers? But religion presents the higher authority as one that is not physical or manifest, but theoretical (or theological) and so only open to interpretation or challenge by those who have the arcane knowledge. In that way religion's power to control is unassailable and is a great justification for monstrous cruelty.

I have an almost pathological distrust of anything wrapped up in religion or spirituality, it is usually used to justify behaviour that without the spiritual gloss is just unacceptable.

• Like 1

You probably need to know the plot to the Bourne Identity* to fully appreciate this, but it's good!

*CIA agent with amnesia struggles to understand his previous life.

Has Boer4Jesus been banned due to his outburst over Habib Bank?

Just to say if he has it is grossly unfair - a search for the particular term he used will throw up multiple instances of its use on the forums - Hillshepard looking at you!

It would be a shame if he has been banned, or feels driven away. Having someone actually attempt to put an alternative point of view would add to this thread and the forums generally.

Edited by Chinahand

Has Boer4Jesus been banned due to his outburst over Habib Bank?

Just to say if he has it is grossly unfair - a search for the particular term he used will throw up multiple instances of its use on the forums - Hillshepard looking at you!

It would be a shame if he has been banned, or feels driven away. Having someone actually attempt to put an alternative point of view would add to this thread and the forums generally.

Was Boer4jesus not just another TJ puppet?

Isn't religion exploiting the basic human condition of needing to refer to a higher authority? Parents, bosses, peers? But religion presents the higher authority as one that is not physical or manifest, but theoretical (or theological) and so only open to interpretation or challenge by those who have the arcane knowledge. In that way religion's power to control is unassailable and is a great justification for monstrous cruelty.

I have an almost pathological distrust of anything wrapped up in religion or spirituality, it is usually used to justify behaviour that without the spiritual gloss is just unacceptable.

I can't entirely agree with this. It's the hierarchy systems / institutions which has exploited people. Even if you got rid of that, there was and will always be spirituality, religion, hallucinogenics and mystical experiences. Look at the cave paintings our ancestors drew. Anything good, bad or neutral will be used by some if it serves their purpose. People wanting power and more power is the problem and they can do that with or without religion. Also, what do you mean by "religion"? Not all religions are the same, not all involve institutions or leaders, some are peaceful, others are violent. Some have evolved and adapted, had reformations or counter-reformations, while others haven't progressed past the dark ages. I don't think it's fair to put them all in one basket. I definitely wouldn't put spirituality into the same category as religion. To me, spirituality is something free from any authority or institution, more personal and is something atheists can feel as well. The problem with rejecting all religion or spirituality is that morality isn't just something society has created, it comes from within, and for me, that's spirituality. I can say I think it's unacceptable to avoid tax, as Stinky gave as an example, and you can say it is acceptable. How do we decide what is acceptable and unacceptable without basing it on spiritual (not religious) ideals of goodness and community spirit? I don't think a religion and writing some laws down on a tablet makes something acceptable or unacceptable. I think it comes down to what we feel in our hearts. Most people, I hope, just like "goodness". I know Richard Dawkins did a documentary on this, showing being good and co-operating with each other is a species or tribal advantage but how do you argue on an individual level that a person should be good and co-operate in society by paying reasonable taxes? (I think tax avoidance is sometimes a good thing, if the taxes are bad, so I use the example of someone avoiding a good tax). I can't think of how you can do that without appealing to their heart? I don't think you can appeal to their brain that it's better for them because it's better for the species or tribe.

Or in the case of living hope, subjugation of women is still the norm. Women are not allowed to speak or lead.

Oh right. So not all bad then?

I use spirituality in the sense of deferring personal choices to some external thing that guides. Whereas, I absolutely agree that morality and ethics come from within. That is the difference to me. It is interesting to see many societies that had strong religious beliefs and institutions have replaced them with spirituality, in other words still unwilling to be guided by self but some greater authority. It seems it is hard to surrender superstition,