Allan Bell - Shit or get off the pot.

The measure of a man is how much he's willing to do for his fellow men.

Allan Bell...much on the radar of the UK as 'Sir Allan' can do much for us in Brexit negotiations.

Meanwhile...we need a tough bunch of politicians behind him sorting the shit he forgot about at home the last 10 years. Tough shoes to get into, never mind fill.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was a "reluctant" supporter of Bell at the last election, reluctant on the grounds of what was emerging over MEA. However I could accept the "experience and statesman-like approach" argument, there

It's genius. Whatever he decides, he's saying that all of the problems in the pipeline are because of Brexit, nothing to do with what he and Eddie have (or rather haven't) been doing in the past year

Could the serfs cope with another five years of Bellonomics? The man had overseen enough grief, financial damage and embarrassment. Bye bye, Allan. Go take care of your pisshead.

You also need a measure of how effective he is though. AB's very good at dodging decisions and responsibility. He doesn't address issues head-on.

There must be better than AB, there's far worse out there though.

Bell is building up to the "Really, I'd have preferred to retire, but in this hour of grave need if my nation needs me, who am I to ignore that call?" speech. Translated as, "No fucking way are you prising my fingers off the greasy pole now that I've reached the top".

• Like 1

Allan Bell...much on the radar of the UK as 'Sir Allan' can do much for us in Brexit negotiations.

Meanwhile...we need a tough bunch of politicians behind him sorting the shit he forgot about at home the last 10 years. Tough shoes to get into, never mind fill.

We actually need younger people rather than people approaching 70.

As much as they have experience we need people that are actually going to have to put up with the implication of their decisions in 20 years time. With the greatest of respect you cannot level that at someone nearly 70.

• Like 1

All this nonsense of you can't have a chief minister without comin experience is daft. If Tony Brown could do it anyone could do it. Someone from outside the system probably would give a better perspective on how the government could be improved.

• Like 2

We actually need younger people rather than people approaching 70.

As much as they have experience we need people that are actually going to have to put up with the implication of their decisions in 20 years time. With the greatest of respect you cannot level that at someone nearly 70.

Look at the choices in the USA, one of the most powerful nations on earth. How old are the presidential candidates??? You have to think about what likely dimwit is going to be the next Chief Minister to realise how good Alan Bell has done in difficult times.

I cringe every time a Tynwald member aligns themself with Westminster politicians, please don't let's start using the US of A for a comparison.

We had John Moss on Manx Radio this morning comparing the MHK speak of continually saying "going forward" as a speech pause mechanism, "like Howard Wilson filling his pipe".

Edited by gettafa

I cringe every time a Tynwald member aligns themself with Westminster politicians, please don't let's start using the US of A for a comparison.

We had John Moss on Manx Radio this morning comparing the MHK speak of continually saying "going forward" as a speech pause mechanism, "like Howard Wilson filling his pipe".

In all fairness how can MHKs talk about going forwards, this island spends all its time going around in circles, firefighting its own mess

The shit hits the fan during the next term, though, doesn't it? Or is it the one after that?

IMO not exactly hitting the fan but gently building up over the next two / three years. The IOM has a way of getting out of messes though - gold mines @ Foxdale, plutonium @ Pulrose - I would not be surprised were there to be a big bonanza.

One of the biggest brakes on the development of the Manx financial services (or other services ) industry selling into Europe has been Protocol 3. That allows for free movement of goods, capital and mainly(ignoring work permits and those who have two Manx born parents and 4 Manx born grandparents ) workforce. It does not apply to services. So IOM is excluded from a market of 600 million on its doorstep.

If the UK follows through on BREXIT then protocol 3 falls away at some stage. The UK will have to negotiate its own equivalent to allow for movement of goods, capital and services and the price is likely to be free movement of workers.

Now will that new position also be extended to the Crown Dependencies? ie will the portability of services omission in protocol 3 disappear or will it be reimposed by whatever the new arrangements are? I suspect it can only go for IoM at a price. That price will be abolition of work permits.

So, stark choice, ability to sell services into the single market, which could be just what the IOM economy needs to expand (if that is what is wanted or needed to bring in business, taxation and spends) or stay as we are, excluded. What is each worth, what are the upsides or downsides of growth at any price on infrastructure, housing, environment and government income and expenditure as against stagnation.

What would the effect be upon the job market if work permits went?

Wouldn't that be a nice choice? Work Permits induce inefficiency into our economy and create work for administrators that isn't needed.

Employers don't employ off-Island unless there is no-one suitable locally. The effect of work-permits is either to force employers to hire someone who is second-best or to cause a lot of hassle in getting the right person.

I think MHKs are scared of removing work-permits but if removal came at the price of EU-access, it would be win-win for me.

• Like 2

Allan Bell wasn't being interviewed on Manx Radio this morning. He was there Monday and Tuesday.

Is everything ok?

It's ok. It must have been a Manx Radio blip. He was back on this morning. Talking about Brexit and blah blah.

Allan Bell wasn't being interviewed on Manx Radio this morning. He was there Monday and Tuesday.

Is everything ok?

It's ok. It must have been a Manx Radio blip. He was back on this morning. Talking about Brexit and blah blah.

Yes, it's ok. His contract with MR gives him one day off every 17 years.