Experiment in direct democracy

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a politician to rely on an internet poll to decide how to vote in Tynwald shows either huge naivety about the reality of the internet or incredibly poor judgement.

I think Stinky was just having a laugh. Though surely in a direct democracy if 51% of us say you should get a haircut, you should.

It's not a dumb reply. Most of the Manx politics groups are piss poor and full of idiots. There is no requirement to have to contribute to debating with idiots. There are lots of politically active people who do not live their lives by Facebook. Again this sort of defective online democracy idea just excludes all those people and actually they are the people who are more likely to vote in real life and seek out and actually speak to candidates standing.

I'm sure all the manx political discussion groups are greatly saddened that they do not get to benefit from your obvious brilliance. Nobody is being excluded. There's nothing to stop anyone from writing to their MHK in the good old fashioned way (with a photograph and a lock of hair attached for verification of course).

So says a dickhead with some sort of perverse messiah complex.

To answer your response to Ans above. You know you can't delete votes. It's a standard part of these sort of platforms that you can't. If you could you would effectively invalidate the credibility of the platform further as then the admins could basically decide the outcome of everything by deleting votes and deleting users at will. So no you can't do that and don't pretend you can just to try to save face. There's so many fake votes on their already that the outputs are meaningless. If votes in Tynwald are placed using that duff data as a basis for the vote I can assure you that there will be lobbying to have the whole thing disregarded.

The whole thing is a joke. But then again it's just another joke or farce political initiative you have been associated with isn't it? The Internet is littered with failed Facebook sites and press articles documenting some sort of failed initiative or other by you.

Finally whose Phil, you really are not very clever are you?

You really are utterly delusional if you think James Hampton is Philip Dearden. Good grief, get some counselling.

Edited by notwell
  • Like 2

So says the forum version of Biffa Bacon. I guess I might get duffed up if you don't like what was said - but then again that's democracy for you. In fact that was not what I was suggesting at all I just couldn't see the post he was referring to as he hadn't supplied a quote. It doesn't detract from what I said about his embarrassing attempt to add any credibility to his play school democracy site for play school voters which is full of sock puppets and hiding behind a very thin veil of credibility as Lost Login observes.

The best you are hoping for is that a large number vote and don't comment on issues. In fact why are you trying to replicate a forum or a facebook group in the first place? Why not make it more like a formal debate where the proposer writes an article explaining why they are making the proposal and a leading detractor writes an article on the subject to object. Invite knowledgeable or impacted people on that subject to contribute responses (doctors, patients groups, relatives of affected patients) - but don't make it a free-for-all (the robust discussion can still go on here or on a facebook group) but make your site more considered and reflective.

That's exactly the system I would prefer.

Ultimately we picked Democracy OS as it's very easy to use and is in use world wide already. We also looked at Helios, which does not have the comment features but would have been more difficult to set up. We had to work with what we had in a very short space of time. One of the first questions I asked is if we could disable the comments for exactly the reason you've just outlined. Ultimately we could, but it would mean doing all the coding - as I understand it. As you say, there are plenty of places people can debate elsewhere, and I would certainly support a format as you've outlined. Thanks again!

Edited by James Hampton

Weevil. Why don't you just log in as Boredom you fucking halfwit!

That's the 4th person I've been accused of in this thread. Thanks Notwell. Having a stab at sock puppets, of sock puppets' sock puppets is really fun.

James Trumpton: "However if Direct Democracy here worked as it does elsewhere that would eventually become less of an issue"

It doesn't work well anywhere else. It's a joke concept dreamed up by idiots and Declan called it well in what he said "the tyranny of the minority" is probably all it can offer. But not even the minority but in your case the fabricated majority of unvalidated sock puppets on a play school democracy site with little credibility whatsoever.

That's the 4th person I've been accused of in this thread. Thanks Notwell. Having a stab at sock puppets, of sock puppets' sock puppets is really fun.

James Trumpton: "However if Direct Democracy here worked as it does elsewhere that would eventually become less of an issue"

It doesn't work well anywhere else. It's a joke concept dreamed up by idiots and Declan called it well in what he said "the tyranny of the minority" is probably all it can offer. But not even the minority but in your case the fabricated majority of unvalidated sock puppets on a play school democracy site with little credibility whatsoever.

Yes mate, we've already established that you don't know what you're talking about, thanks. It works and works very well.

You're not happy with the validation. That's fine. We've not tried to pretend it's anything it's not.

You think the political system on the IOM is fine and everything is hunky dory, so I should just shut up. It's not going to happen, not sorry.

J.

Yes mate, we've already established that you don't know what you're talking about, thanks. It works and works very well.

You're not happy with the validation. That's fine. We've not tried to pretend it's anything it's not.

You think the political system on the IOM is fine and everything is hunky dory, so I should just shut up. It's not going to happen, not sorry.

J.

Our political system is far from fine but your amateurish attempt at direct democracy will not change it one bit. In fact it will play to it even more as people registering in online polls rather than voting for an actual person to represent them might actually think they're achieving something rather than wasting effort. If you want to change our political system why don't you stand for keys? Or do you just lack the bottle to back up any of the rubbish you spout online? Or is the agreement that you stay as Phil Gawnes mini-me? I suppose it's a bit like a woman who has a fat friend. Whilst Gawne associates himself with such a dickhead some people might start to think that he's not a complete idiot himself.

Edited by Weevil central

I think it a bit unfair giving someone such a vitriolic kicking when they themselves are not hiding behind an anonymous forum name.

Just saying.

He can't not hide behind anonymity as he appears to be a blatant self-publicist seeking public recognition as the saviour of Manx politics. If he feels that strongly he should stand for Keys. The suggestion he should do so wasn't that vitriolic.

It's not so much the direct connection with a person for legal reasons that concerns me, that is relatively easy to establish (even for Mr Weevil it's been very easy), it's the way someone can use anonymity to try and force a debate that concerns me.

More BS from the grand master of BS. Same as claims of votes being cancelled and accounts being closed which you can't do. We were surprised you didn't lock the IP range down to Manx registered IP addresses to validate that only Manx people could vote. But you didn't. You can come in via TOR from any IP address in the world. Are you sure anyone who voted even lives here? It seems quite sloppy if you can register a vote from an IP in Norway or Canada.

Edited by Weevil central

You're really enjoying yourself now aren't you. Go on, let it all out now, don't hold back.

You've already made it clear you don't have the spine to stand behind your own words.

You've also made it clear you don't have a solution to this problem.

J.

• Like 1

You're really enjoying yourself now aren't you. Go on, let it all out now, don't hold back.

You've already made it clear you don't have the spine to stand behind your own words.

You've also made it clear you don't have a solution to this problem.

J.

Its also been made clear that your site is an amateurish attempt to generate publicity for you and Phil Gawne and is just a wide open door to create any sort of output by way of registering votes from any sock puppet account anywhere in the world. It's no benchmark of democracy or of people's majority opinions about Manx politics or Manx issues whatsoever.

Edited by Weevil central

Weevil, what is your solution to the island's problems then? Just carry on as normal? Follow the status quo? Just moan? Come up with positive solutions or you're just part of the problem.