Experiment in direct democracy

Weevil, what is your solution to the island's problems then? Just carry on as normal? Follow the status quo? Just moan? Come up with positive solutions or you're just part of the problem.

I was watching the news tonight and do you know what this site is the equivalent of? It's the same as all the little French flags that will go up on people's Facebook pages tonight. It's a feeble show that you care about something for 10 minutes before the next thing happens and we can all put a little flag up about that too. It's not changing the world, it's not stopping terrorism, and it won't do anything to change the fact that the same thing could happen again next week. Nevertheless stupid people think they have done something (when actually they have done nothing but spend 30 seconds changing their profile picture). Same with democracy.im - I will make people believe they have done something about the state of politics in the IOM when they haven't. In fact it may well stop people going to polling booths and voting for actual change because they think their stupid 10 second vote on a stupid irrelevant website counts for something when it counts for nothing. In this world increasingly direct action is all that counts. These stupid passive democracy polls are absolutely worthless and meaningless. More so when you don't even know if the people voting are real people, or if they even live in the IOM or not. Still you can all have your sad little votes that nobody will listen to and think you're doing something for society - when it's only the people who are prepared to get off their backside and engage with the real world who will provide any real catalyst for change as they're not internet sheep being corralled into wasted effort by people who simply seek to document and record things that have happened, not change things that will happen.

It's just incredibly lazy democracy. It allows people to do the bare minimum (register a meaningless vote on a website) instead of actively doing anything about anything.

Edited by Weevil central
  • Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a politician to rely on an internet poll to decide how to vote in Tynwald shows either huge naivety about the reality of the internet or incredibly poor judgement.

I think Stinky was just having a laugh. Though surely in a direct democracy if 51% of us say you should get a haircut, you should.

Uh, that's what I just said to you.

All you have to offer is exactly what I said above. You leave an angry fruitless trail around here and Facebook about all that's wrong in the world without actually doing one tangible thing about any of it. Genuinely that is absolutely nothing to offer to anyone whatsoever. Better register a fake vote about yet another issue on a fake democracy site too as you never know - somebody else might do something about it that takes more effort than a 30 second post. No wonder my comments above wound you up.

Edited by Weevil central

Dude, I said I don't agree with direct democracy. I've publicly said so. But at least James is proactively doing something. Even if it's just a passing fad, at least it's something, some avenue by which we can let our (voters') voices be heard. I don't agree with James' concept but I do appreciate the value of the platform itself. Bell ends like you only encourage me to further invest my time in contributing to this democracy.im experiment. The operative word being experiment. He hasn't claimed it's the solution to all our woes and about to usher in a utopic society. Sorry but I can't take your protestations seriously with your lame sock puppet name. Come on here with your usual screen name or your real name or else button it, you bell end.

Edited by llap
  • Like 1

Wow, why did I not see this before? I've had no idea what you were all talking about (only read first page then ignored topic because it was nothing to do with me...). It's a great idea, everyone is blah blah blah on the internet, the perfect example of themselves (well sort of) - yeah, I like it. This is quite exciting.

If people are so bothered about something they are prepared to create false emails, they're better than the 87% of people that didn't bother to vote last night and deserve to swing a vote. Actually, nothing serious is going to happen until people are starving - everyone is fine right now, things are ticking along very well, we have a good enough civil service, the infrastructure serves us well enough - we moan about stuff but, there are hospitals for the sick, schools for the young, homes for the elderly and money for the poor, everything is great.

• Like 1

Dude, I said I don't agree with direct democracy. I've publicly said so. But at least James is proactively doing something. Even if it's just a passing fad, at least it's something, some avenue by which we can let our (voters') voices be heard. I don't agree with James' concept but I do appreciate the value of the platform itself. Bell ends like you only encourage me to further invest my time in contributing to this democracy.im experiment. The operative word being experiment. He hasn't claimed it's the solution to all our woes and about to usher in a utopic society. Sorry but I can't take your protestations seriously with your lame sock puppet name. Coke on here with your usual name or your real name or else button it, you bell end.

Let voices be heard? Who is listening? There is nobody in Tynwald saying "Oh no we'd better do that as a bunch of losers on IOM Democracy and Facebook are getting really angry about it". Less so if most of those people probably don't even exist. I'm glad you're encouraged to waste even more of your effort and more time on there generating nothing but hot air and comedy moments. Dude.

Weevil, sorry, but you haven't quite convinced me you're an obvious politician or political candidate or knob with an axe to grind. Could you please try a little harder? I'm a bit simple so need you to be more obvious. Thanks. x

Edited by llap

Ah, whats wrong with you people? If someone wants to post on multiple accounts, thats ok, do you really have to go all Sherlock Holmes and cast nastersians? Why are you bothered that someone has two accounts? People are strange, at least he/she isn't on the streets hey? :)

• Like 1

Ah, whats wrong with you people? If someone wants to post on multiple accounts, thats ok, do you really have to go all Sherlock Holmes and cast nastersians? Why are you bothered that someone has two accounts? People are strange, at least he/she isn't on the streets hey? :)

Says you who has publicly on Twitter attacked another regular poster (one who was genuine, not part of some twatty agenda) on this forum. Why the double standard or change of heart now?

Edited by llap

Its also been made clear that your site is an amateurish attempt to generate publicity for you and Phil Gawne

So what if the votes go against Phil Gawne? Seems highly likely considering his and DOI's track record. You'll look a prat then for claiming it was set up to support him!