Experiment in direct democracy

We can rely on MTP to add a little levity to a pretty exasperating thread!

'' what would you do, weevil?''

This asking for a counter suggestion is a rather lazy way of trying to shut someone up. It is not for weevil to come up with ideas, that is what we elect politicians for.

Weevil, like Hampton is entitled to his view and ideas and opposition are useful but not a mandatory requirement of the public to political debate. Indeed, this thread is a good example of why serious political commentators take little notice of ourselves!

Perhaps not responding and letting the thread die is the best solution?

• Like 1
  • Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For a politician to rely on an internet poll to decide how to vote in Tynwald shows either huge naivety about the reality of the internet or incredibly poor judgement.

I think Stinky was just having a laugh. Though surely in a direct democracy if 51% of us say you should get a haircut, you should.

Weevil, like Hampton is entitled to his view and ideas and opposition are useful but not a mandatory requirement of the public to political debate. Indeed, this thread is a good example of why serious political commentators take little notice of ourselves!

Perhaps not responding and letting the thread die is the best solution?

Or perhaps you, as an on record failed political candidate, are behind the Weevil sockpuppet? Why should we allow the thread to die when it is a pertinent and current topic (unlike you and your failed bid for Tynwald)? I say, the more interest in politics generated, the better. I don't agree with James but at least he's generating a debate. I've yet to see you post anything worthy of a debate or discussion, you boring knob.

who is the lesser of two weevils?

Even the most rabid flat-earther wouldn't believe that you'd craft a set of sock puppets and start this whole thread off with the sole ultimate intention of delivering this punchline - but it would be brilliant if you had.

• Like 4

who is the lesser of two weevils?

Even the most rabid flat-earther wouldn't believe that you'd craft a set of sock puppets and start this whole thread off with the sole ultimate intention of delivering this punchline - but it would be brilliant if you had.

Actually, the credit for this particularly lame joke goes to Russell Crowe in Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.

Weevil, what is your solution to the island's problems then? Just carry on as normal? Follow the status quo? Just moan? Come up with positive solutions or you're just part of the problem.

I was watching the news tonight and do you know what this site is the equivalent of? It's the same as all the little French flags that will go up on people's Facebook pages tonight. It's a feeble show that you care about something for 10 minutes before the next thing happens and we can all put a little flag up about that too. It's not changing the world, it's not stopping terrorism, and it won't do anything to change the fact that the same thing could happen again next week. Nevertheless stupid people think they have done something (when actually they have done nothing but spend 30 seconds changing their profile picture). Same with democracy.im - I will make people believe they have done something about the state of politics in the IOM when they haven't. In fact it may well stop people going to polling booths and voting for actual change because they think their stupid 10 second vote on a stupid irrelevant website counts for something when it counts for nothing. In this world increasingly direct action is all that counts. These stupid passive democracy polls are absolutely worthless and meaningless. More so when you don't even know if the people voting are real people, or if they even live in the IOM or not. Still you can all have your sad little votes that nobody will listen to and think you're doing something for society - when it's only the people who are prepared to get off their backside and engage with the real world who will provide any real catalyst for change as they're not internet sheep being corralled into wasted effort by people who simply seek to document and record things that have happened, not change things that will happen.

It's just incredibly lazy democracy. It allows people to do the bare minimum (register a meaningless vote on a website) instead of actively doing anything about anything.

Oh, I see... So the subtext is we are making it too easy for people to have a political voice? When, in your insightful opinion, they should be getting off their asses and engaging in the real world? And this is coming from someone who doesn't even have the balls to use his own name on the internet. Too funny.

I tell you what, I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the real world weevil protest movement (fake names and fancy dress disguises of course).

J.

Edited by James Hampton

In summary if you've been following this thread.

Direct democracy, is rightly, dying on its arse.

In this format...its basically anarchy or corruption.

Goodbye 'direct democracy'. Good riddance.

All who think Albert is a boring cock, say aye.

The ayes have it. Direct democracy wins again.

• Like 1

I think it a bit unfair giving someone such a vitriolic kicking when they themselves are not hiding behind an anonymous forum name.

Just saying.

He can't not hide behind anonymity as he appears to be a blatant self-publicist seeking public recognition as the saviour of Manx politics. If he feels that strongly he should stand for Keys. The suggestion he should do so wasn't that vitriolic.

It's not so much the direct connection with a person for legal reasons that concerns me, that is relatively easy to establish (even for Mr Weevil it's been very easy), it's the way someone can use anonymity to try and force a debate that concerns me.

More BS from the grand master of BS. Same as claims of votes being cancelled and accounts being closed which you can't do. We were surprised you didn't lock the IP range down to Manx registered IP addresses to validate that only Manx people could vote. But you didn't. You can come in via TOR from any IP address in the world. Are you sure anyone who voted even lives here? It seems quite sloppy if you can register a vote from an IP in Norway or Canada.

As this thread is being bumped by the multiple sock puppets of the same idiot (Llap, Skeletor). Let me repeat this post. It's a shame you waste your life achieving little but irrelevant internet controversy that 99% of the population ignores.

Edited by Weevil central

I tell you what, I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the real world weevil protest movement (fake names and fancy dress disguises of course).

J.

You're just a cunt with a ponytail James. Nobody has taken that look seriously since Billy Ray Cyrus in 1996. Have you had an achy breaky heart yet?

Edited by Weevil central

J.

You're just a cunt with a ponytail James. Nobody has taken that look seriously since Garth Crooks in 1996. Have you had an achy breaky heart yet?

Think you're confusing Garth Crooks with a song of Billy Ray Cyrus and the name of Garth Brooks.

• Like 1

J.

You're just a cunt with a ponytail James. Nobody has taken that look seriously since Garth Crooks in 1996. Have you had an achy breaky heart yet?

Think you're confusing Garth Crooks with a song of Billy Ray Cyrus and the name of Garth Brooks.

Re-read my post.