Democracy, as we seem to imagine it is not without its foibles and the best argument against it is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.

A prime example being Brexit Quilp. Let the right wing racists run everything into the ground just because they want to cut off the nations nose to spite it's face as they don't want Poles setting up shops on their high streets. You can also see how divisive and destructive that's been for the UK in almost splitting the country and setting huge groups of people off against each other. Not to mention the murder of an MP durning the whole process. The economy and the markets are only holding up at the moment as nobody actually believes it's going to happen.

Brexit captured the mood of the country, Frank. For the first time in a long time the disenfranchised and marginalised felt they had a voice. The majority voted to leave without necessarily the backing of the right wing. A lot of people who once were silenced by the decades-long, saturating rhetoric of idealistic leftists operating their version of democracy found their voice and voted for what they saw fit. Millions of those voters were from an older, more specific generation who voted not because of right wing populism influencing their choice but because of the reality of failed multiculturalism and too much tolerance of intolerance. Many people felt that they had retained and re-established what they really identified with.

The markets dipped because of some half-imagined and well-publicized threat by the establishment which induced panic selling and liquidation of stocks. These markets now appear to be recovering and the assumed collapse of society proves, at this juncture, to've been misunderstood.

• Like 4
  • Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Skelly as CM would be the terminal breath of credible politics in the Isle of Man.

Shut up.

I hope he gets in if only to piss you off. Which it clearly would.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that Quiip. I think a lot of people were lied to on both sides, and I think a lot of people were racists. The markets dipped on realistic expectations of what being outside of the EU would mean economically. The only reason they have not come off more is that nobody realistically expects Brexit to happen. If that changes the economy will tank.

Edited by Frankthewank
  • Like 3

Democracy, as we seem to imagine it is not without its foibles and the best argument against it is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.

A prime example being Brexit Quilp. Let the right wing racists run everything into the ground just because they want to cut off the nations nose to spite it's face as they don't want Poles setting up shops on their high streets. You can also see how divisive and destructive that's been for the UK in almost splitting the country and setting huge groups of people off against each other. Not to mention the murder of an MP durning the whole process. The economy and the markets are only holding up at the moment as nobody actually believes it's going to happen.

A large proportion of blame for that sort of outcome has to be laid firmly at Govt's door as a result of deliberate exclusion/ignoring certain sectors of society.

Essentially,the whole thing came around and bit UK Govt in the ass.

• Like 1

A large proportion of blame for that sort of outcome has to be laid firmly at Govt's door as a result of deliberate exclusion/ignoring certain sectors of society.

Essentially,the whole thing came around and bit UK Govt in the ass.

Couldn't have said it better myself. We're now seeing the same on IOM.

Laurence Skelly has placed his manifesto online

http://www.voteskelly.com/2016manifesto.pdf

we have chartered a safe course in this storm and are looking forward to a

Maybe this is where he and DED got it wrong. Using a charter instead of a chart to find a safe course will always get you lost.

You would imagine that a serious contender for the Keys would check the basics of the English used.

Edited by Whimsy
  • Like 5

Laurence Skelly has placed his manifesto online

http://www.voteskelly.com/2016manifesto.pdf

we have chartered a safe course in this storm and are looking forward to a [/size]

Maybe this is where he and DED got it wrong. Using a charter instead of a chart to find a safe course will always get you lost.

You would imagine that a serious contender for the Keys would check the basics of the English used.

[/size]

Great comment - what a twat. And what a lightweight manifesto.

Seen a few comments this morning giving Scampi some credit at the the meeting last night. Watterson about normal. Less positive comments for skelly, Kemp and the other guy.

That's only to be expected I suppose as they'll be the only ones on Facebook. Does anyone focus on what is being said in the real world any more. Or is it just bored people with nothing to do discussing rubbish on Facebook that informs opinion?

There was a room full of people there last night and Scampi got overwhelmingly the best response. Most were elderly, so not your typical Facebook types.

For example, my 80 year old mother, thought he came across best. Another guy came up to me to ask "who the fella on the end was" so he could vote for Hampton.

Although Scampi won the evening, I think Watterson and Skelly will be relatively pleased with the night. Neither made a massive error and Scampi won't have spoken to enough people by the election to convince them that he is the best candidate, and you really need to hear him talk to realise that.

• Like 2

There was a room full of people there last night and Scampi got overwhelmingly the best response. Most were elderly, so not your typical Facebook types.

Scampi is a nice, self-effacing chap. These are two attributes that will rake in a good amount of votes from the likes of the granny contingent. No farming required.

It is perhaps ironic that many of Scampi's votes will come from people who haven't a clue how to work the TV remote control let alone digital inclusion.

• Like 2