• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Skelly as CM would be the terminal breath of credible politics in the Isle of Man.

Shut up.

I hope he gets in if only to piss you off. Which it clearly would.

Pretty shameful that "Do you want the power" has been allowed to upload the whole video to YouTube as a back drop to their own campaign. Surely if a video was taken at a requisition meeting it should be released and/or hosted by a separate and independent party like MT or the Newspapers not on the YouTube channel for only one of the candidates who is standing? Shameful political engineering when Do You Want The Power is vicariously linked to everything said by association as its broadcast on their You Tube channel.

Stop being fucking stupid.

Do you have a more intelligent response than that?

Exactly how are you going to find time to work as an MHK given that you can't find the time to canvas ?

As a voter, it would like the answer to that please

This is no time to be fannying about covering things with strong, coarse, unbleached cloth.

• Like 2

Exactly how are you going to find time to work as an MHK given that you can't find the time to canvas ?

This is no time to be fannying about covering things with strong, coarse, unbleached cloth.

Of course, if he could find time to canvas(s) he'd sail right in to Tynwald?

I find it odd that CC&G tried a damage limitation 'news' exercise pretty quickly afterwards. They were only ever questions on a public forum that not many people read but refuting that quickly shows how sensitive people seem to be. I've worked in the media and the tactics are obvious. I think it was cynical, deliberately stage managed, and quite a contrived stunt to focus attention on one candidate when at the same time that candidate says they're too busy to knock on doors and engage with people t get votes.

CC&G raised the issue so he show off his knowledge and peddle his media training to the uninformed masses. And sometimes people don't refute things because they want to suppress them, they refute them because they are wrong - that's what refute means (And in this case to show off). The only person who was putting the focus on one candidate making what the rest of would see as a small but public spirited gesture was you.

Presumably if any of the candidates had objected to the recording, they could have made their feelings public (for the record I don't think it's even the first time a Rushen Requisition Meeting has been videoed). CC&G may be hinting that one of the Rushen candidates objected, but I don't think anyone was suggesting it was you, until you made such an irrational fuss over the whole thing that (inevitably - this is the Isle of Man) some people started suggesting that it must be personal[1].

Like other I'm sceptical of Hampton's direct democracy and you were perfectly right to raise the problems that California has had with a more old-fashioned model of the same system[2]. And he didn't respond particularly well to your doubts. But your over-reaction on this matter of the recording is just making you look silly.

[1] Oddly enough not being a Rushen voter wouldn't rule you out because Leo Cussons actually lives in Peel according to the SOPN, though he is running his campaign from Ken Quines.

[2] The problems aren't just with the unwillingness to pay taxes coupled with the demand for services. They have often been used to try to persecute minority groups (banning gays from being teachers for example) or promote measures from which commercial companies would benefit. The Ballotopedia website has exhaustive analysis.

(edited due to premature posting)

Edited by Roger Mexico

Pretty shameful that "Do you want the power" has been allowed to upload the whole video to YouTube as a back drop to their own campaign. Surely if a video was taken at a requisition meeting it should be released and/or hosted by a separate and independent party like MT or the Newspapers not on the YouTube channel for only one of the candidates who is standing? Shameful political engineering when Do You Want The Power is vicariously linked to everything said by association as its broadcast on their You Tube channel.

Stop being fucking stupid.
Do you have a more intelligent response than that?

You started it.

• Like 1

Your obsessive desire to put the worst possible spin in everything he does has made you look daft on this one.

He's doing no harm. Best left to his own devices.

He's one of several on here who argue against facts.

ETA ...It takes all sorts

The facts are very clear but let's create a whole trail of sarcastic little digs to bump them further and further away just in case anyone might go back up and read them. I had a look back through your posts. What a sanctimonious left wing bore you are. I can see why you support this nonsense. You and Hampton appear to be the same sort of tired 1970s Citizen Smith lefty types who apparently are seeking to give the government more control here under the guise of a new democracy.

Are you a supporter of the low speed broadband, pro-accountancy politics of homeguard Captain Watterson?

No I have made my views clear in that I don't support anyone in Rushen and I'm not connected to any other candidate in Rushen. Now I can also add that I also suspect that the hapless hippy persona is nothing but a cynical put on. In fact I would say that this campaign has many of the hallmarks of a cynically managed self propaganda campaign to hoodwink the naive and impressionable into buying into this bullshit. It appears to be far too stage managed to be anything but.

I think it's just you mate. There is no hapless hippy persona as far as I'm concerned - unconventional yes, hapless I don't think so. Pretty clear from the information I've provided that I'm highly educated, run a successful business and will work anyone under the table. If I'm not playing the game as expected by not wearing a suit and going round granny farming that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. I've made it clear, I'm not able to canvas in the usual way because right now my family is more important than getting elected. I'm hoodwinking the public by offering them ultimate power over every decision. Loving your logic.

Oh dear. I was actually with you for a while there until the ego emerged scampi. This doesn't change the fact that you are a ballbag though jack

Sorry. The tone didn't come over right there did it. I mean I am a cock, but not in the way it reads there. Thanks!

I think it's just you mate. There is no hapless hippy persona as far as I'm concerned - unconventional yes, hapless I don't think so. Pretty clear from the information I've provided that I'm highly educated, run a successful business and will work anyone under the table. If I'm not playing the game as expected by not wearing a suit and going round granny farming that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. I've made it clear, I'm not able to canvas in the usual way because right now my family is more important than getting elected. I'm hoodwinking the public by offering them ultimate power over every decision. Loving your logic.

Oh dear. I was actually with you for a while there until the ego emerged scampi. This doesn't change the fact that you are a ballbag though jack

So James, if you are elected in one weeks time are you actually going to do the job you have applied for or will your family be more important than the people of Rushen ?

Right now I have a 6 day old child, half my house is uninhabitable, I've no hot water, the roof isn't sealed in and my other two kids are living next door, so ya I'm afraid they still come first for the next few weeks.

Whether I'm elected or not all of the above will be resolved in a few weeks (either by me or by the people who work for me). I will then be returning to my regular work or to become an MHK (I haven't been actively working on projects for my business since TT week as I had to put everything on hold to get my house done). If I am elected I will be having a conversation with my current staff about what they want to do next. We have been trailing converting the business to a co-op format and if they want to carry on with that they will be fine without me full time, or it may be that we rearrange it in some other way - it'll be up to them. The reason I haven't been able to canvass is simply because I did not intend to stand, I was fully aware that I am not in the correct position to stand, but what choice did I have? The alternative is I vote for one of the others knowing what that means (virtually no chance of changes needed), or I offer the change I want to see acknowledging the limitations I must work within. That's it.

I've made clear commitments, including to the power of recall and not taking the salary unless I've earned it. I don't see any of the others doing that.

J.

I find it odd that CC&G tried a damage limitation 'news' exercise pretty quickly afterwards. They were only ever questions on a public forum that not many people read but refuting that quickly shows how sensitive people seem to be. I've worked in the media and the tactics are obvious. I think it was cynical, deliberately stage managed, and quite a contrived stunt to focus attention on one candidate when at the same time that candidate says they're too busy to knock on doors and engage with people t get votes.

CC&G raised the issue so he show off his knowledge and peddle his media training to the uninformed masses. And sometimes people don't refute things because they want to suppress them, they refute them because they are wrong - that's what refute means (And in this case to show off). The only person who was putting the focus on one candidate making what the rest of would see as a small but public spirited gesture was you.

Presumably if any of the candidates had objected to the recording, they could have made their feelings public (for the record I don't think it's even the first time a Rushen Requisition Meeting has been videoed). CC&G may be hinting that one of the Rushen candidates objected, but I don't think anyone was suggesting it was you, until you made such an irrational fuss over the whole thing that (inevitably - this is the Isle of Man) some people started suggesting that it must be personal[1].

Like other I'm sceptical of Hampton's direct democracy and you were perfectly right to raise the problems that California has had with a more old-fashioned model of the same system[2]. And he didn't respond particularly well to your doubts. But your over-reaction on this matter of the recording is just making you look silly.

[1] Oddly enough not being a Rushen voter wouldn't rule you out because Leo Cussons actually lives in Peel according to the SOPN, though he is running his campaign from Ken Quines.

[2] The problems aren't just with the unwillingness to pay taxes coupled with the demand for services. They have often been used to try to persecute minority groups (banning gays from being teachers for example) or promote measures from which commercial companies would benefit. The Ballotopedia website has exhaustive analysis.

(edited due to premature posting)

The articles originally posted by Jack actually do a fairly good job of explaining that the problem was not direct democracy (and that direct democracy is not uninhibited in California), and I did point that out at the time. I also asked questions which would have gone on to clarify the flaw in this assessment but they weren't answered, though I appreciate that's no fun when you're on such a crusade as Jack is.

I read the CC&G news item as trying to create the perception that a candidate had complained based on a wrong assumption about posts I had made on here. There were even links to this thread in that news item. Typical tactics of trying to claim people are being victimized by an opponent to grab sympathy or attention (or to try to discredit what was said). I have no idea whether it is true that someone has complained in real life. I seriously doubt anyone has, and I doubt CC&G know that either. But inferring so I'm sure added to the perception that the comments I had made somehow have an element of self interest within them and are therefore to be ignored. It also, maybe, shows the level of public relations support some candidates may be getting so let's perhaps take that as an indicator that their political goals and aspirations are a lot more targeted and manipulative than their public 'I'm too busy to canvas as I have no not water' slacker attitude suggests. Actually you might say that there is a carefully scripted and cultivated image of anti electioneering on display here which is entirely at odds with what's actually going on behind the scenes. And yes I certainly think people are being hoodwinked by all this hippy hokum and that the basic principle is dangerous as applied to the IOM for reasons I have stated previously.

Hey Jack,

1. You never answered the questions I put to you about California.

2. I believe all candidates were approached by Jason offering his services several weeks ago - which seems entirely logical to me, that's his business and the election is an opportunity. I don't know how many have taken it up. I initially said no as I didn't think I needed it. It was put to me privately that what I had done in publishing the videos was in some way potentially exposing me to liability. I didn't think it was the case but I've been impressed with Jason's writing so far, so I went back to him and asked for his opinion. He didn't want paying but I had to insist on an invoice as I'm not allowed to accept anything for free. That would be the same no matter who I went to for legal or professional advice on an election matter. Other candidates have campaign managers for this kind of thing. I don't. It'll be in my costs submission (as would the fees if any candidate had taken advice and followed the rules correctly), which is open to inspection I believe.

Hope that clears it up, but I can post you the advice I was given if you like.

• Like 1