Hope that clears it up, but I can post you the advice I was given if you like.

It doesn't really clear anything up and in fact raises more questions as CC&G seems to have said "I’ve been told there’s a candidate who’s objecting to being filmed or for footage to be made public. I’ve no idea who it is, nor whether it’s the meeting talked about on ManxForums, but they really need to read up on the law." When what you're saying above is that categorically he did know that it was the meeting being discussed on Manxforums as you, who filmed it, approached him for advice about it. CC&G also seems to decide to infer that a candidate is complaining in order to create a story so clearly that's probably what you told him in order to sensationalize a story and try make it look like you're some sort of victim when you were clearly unclear about whether you should have pulled your video stunt.

Why would I want to see the advice? It's irrelevant. It's the completely sensationalist story that's been created out of nothing that interests me more.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Skelly as CM would be the terminal breath of credible politics in the Isle of Man.

Shut up.

I hope he gets in if only to piss you off. Which it clearly would.

I'm not going to use the quotes because its getting too big ....

"Right now I have a 6 day old child, half my house is uninhabitable, I've no hot water, the roof isn't sealed in and my other two kids are living next door, so ya I'm afraid they still come first for the next few weeks.

Whether I'm elected or not all of the above will be resolved in a few weeks (either by me or by the people who work for me). I will then be returning to my regular work or to become an MHK (I haven't been actively working on projects for my business since TT week as I had to put everything on hold to get my house done). If I am elected I will be having a conversation with my current staff about what they want to do next. We have been trailing converting the business to a co-op format and if they want to carry on with that they will be fine without me full time, or it may be that we rearrange it in some other way - it'll be up to them. The reason I haven't been able to canvass is simply because I did not intend to stand, I was fully aware that I am not in the correct position to stand, but what choice did I have? The alternative is I vote for one of the others knowing what that means (virtually no chance of changes needed), or I offer the change I want to see acknowledging the limitations I must work within. That's it.

I've made clear commitments, including to the power of recall and not taking the salary unless I've earned it. I don't see any of the others doing that.

J. "

James, to be honest you have absolutely no right standing if you are not available to start work on 23rd September.

Whilst it is admirable that you wish to do things for your family, you have known for 9 months you were going to have a (third) child so its pretty irresponsible of you not to have a habitable house and hot water at this point.

I can't believe that people are just accepting that would be ok for you to pitch up as an MHK when you feel like it or when you are ready to.

I'm no supporter of Juan Watterson or Laurence Skelly, but if either of them just decided not to do the job they had been elected to do for a few weeks because they needed to work on their house they would be in for bloody hard time and rightly so.

It should also be remembered that Juan Watterson has a new baby too - but he is managing to go round Rushen and speak to people, and he can't even drive,

What choice did you have? The choice you had was not to stand seeing as you are not in a position to do the job - given this, in my opinion, you should withdraw immediately

• Like 2

"Right now I have a 6 day old child, half my house is uninhabitable, I've no hot water, the roof isn't sealed in and my other two kids are living next door, so ya I'm afraid they still come first for the next few weeks.

Whether I'm elected or not all of the above will be resolved in a few weeks (either by me or by the people who work for me). I will then be returning to my regular work or to become an MHK (I haven't been actively working on projects for my business since TT week as I had to put everything on hold to get my house done). If I am elected I will be having a conversation with my current staff about what they want to do next. We have been trailing converting the business to a co-op format and if they want to carry on with that they will be fine without me full time, or it may be that we rearrange it in some other way - it'll be up to them. The reason I haven't been able to canvass is simply because I did not intend to stand, I was fully aware that I am not in the correct position to stand, but what choice did I have? The alternative is I vote for one of the others knowing what that means (virtually no chance of changes needed), or I offer the change I want to see acknowledging the limitations I must work within. That's it.

I've made clear commitments, including to the power of recall and not taking the salary unless I've earned it. I don't see any of the others doing that.

J. "

James, to be honest you have absolutely no right standing if you are not available to start work on 23rd September.

Whilst it is admirable that you wish to do things for your family, you have known for 9 months you were going to have a (third) child so its pretty irresponsible of you not to have a habitable house and hot water at this point.

I can't believe that people are just accepting that would be ok for you to pitch up as an MHK when you feel like it or when you are ready to.

I'm no supporter of Juan Watterson or Laurence Skelly, but if either of them just decided not to do the job they had been elected to do for a few weeks because they needed to work on their house they would be in for bloody hard time and rightly so.

It should also be remembered that Juan Watterson has a new baby too - but he is managing to go round Rushen and speak to people, and he can't even drive,

What choice did you have? The choice you had was not to stand seeing as you are not in a position to do the job - given this, in my opinion, you should withdraw immediately

Strictly speaking he doesn't have to start work as an MHK until he's sworn in, so he's got about another week after the vote.

J. "

Or maybe people could just not vote for him if they aren't happy with this situation?

So over-dramatic.

• Like 1

It's a valid observation. It's like someone turning up for a job interview late, making it clear that they can't be arsed messing about with the whole process, suggesting that they're probably more clever than the interviewer, and then expecting to get the job the next day. At the same the time on Facebook the same candidate is telling everyone how good they'd be at that job and how dedicated and focused they are on getting it as they're the best candidate. He does not really seem to be offering anything to the voters other than agreeing to accept £45k a year for not being that arsed to stand and for other things to take priority whilst he farts about on the internet asking people questions. It's not really a good platform at face value. Throw in a few attention seeking stunts like the requisition video to make it look like you're anti authority, and to grab a bit of online coverage, and overall it's a pretty cynical and contrived campaign.

Edited by JackCarter

If he's the best man for the job it's worth waiting a week or two for him to put his affairs in order.

Do you expect people to quit their jobs, or wind up their businesses on the off-chance they get elected.

• Like 1

If he's the best man for the job it's worth waiting a week or two for him to put his affairs in order.

Do you expect people to quit their jobs, or wind up their businesses on the off-chance they get elected.

Well yes if you're asking as they're the ones who put themselves forward in the first place. Naturally people should plan to win otherwise what the point of standing?

No, but I do expect them to make a position they have been elected to a priority, not something they will get round to in a few weeks time once they have fixed up their house.

• Like 1

Why would I want to see the advice? It's irrelevant. It's the completely sensationalist story that's been created out of nothing that interests me more.

It doesn't really clear anything up and in fact raises more questions as CC&G seems to have said "I’ve been told there’s a candidate who’s objecting to being filmed or for footage to be made public. I’ve no idea who it is, nor whether it’s the meeting talked about on ManxForums, but they really need to read up on the law." When what you're saying above is that categorically he did know that it was the meeting being discussed on Manxforums as you, who filmed it, approached him for advice about it. CC&G also seems to decide to infer that a candidate is complaining in order to create a story so clearly that's probably what you told him in order to sensationalize a story and try make it look like you're some sort of victim when you were clearly unclear about whether you should have pulled your video stunt.

You, sir, are wrong. The candidate I referred to threatened to sue over "likeness rights" after a meeting and the person who recorded it backed down because they had no idea of their legal standing.

Is it worth saying you're also wrong about any candidate, member of the public, member of the press or small dog deciding to make a recording in a public place on a matter of clear public interest and publishing it provided they stay within whatever regulations happen to apply to them? Probably not.

You are, however, wrong again.

It doesn't really clear anything up and in fact raises more questions as CC&G seems to have said "Ive been told theres a candidate whos objecting to being filmed or for footage to be made public. Ive no idea who it is, nor whether its the meeting talked about on ManxForums, but they really need to read up on the law." When what you're saying above is that categorically he did know that it was the meeting being discussed on Manxforums as you, who filmed it, approached him for advice about it. CC&G also seems to decide to infer that a candidate is complaining in order to create a story so clearly that's probably what you told him in order to sensationalize a story and try make it look like you're some sort of victim when you were clearly unclear about whether you should have pulled your video stunt.

You, sir, are wrong. The candidate I referred to threatened to sue over "likeness rights" after a meeting and the person who recorded it backed down because they had no idea of their legal standing.

Is it worth saying you're also wrong about any candidate, member of the public, member of the press or small dog deciding to make a recording in a public place on a matter of clear public interest and publishing it provided they stay within whatever regulations happen to apply to them? Probably not.

You are, however, wrong again.

Why did you link your conversation with that candidate to this MF thread then? There is no connection. And why speculate that the topic of the thread wasn't perhaps the Rushen requisition when clearly it was?

Your second sentence does not make sense unfortunately. Regardless of what you meant to say the police recommend obtaining consent to use of images and audio as there could foreseeably be civil proceedings where people disagree. Your comments suggest that this is exactly what was threatened.

I much prefer cheesy, squeezy, peas. Is that un-Manx?

Edited by JackCarter

Just to be clear Jess, if I'm elected I'll be there from day one, and will do the job as required and promised. I fully acknowledge that the situation as it is is completely my responsibility. I'm standing because what I'm offering is completely different. If people want something completely different they'll vote for me, if they are happy with the system as it is they won't. That'll make me feel better either way because I'll know they've been offered a choice.

To be honest I'm completely torn over the whole canvassing thing, because I do actually like meeting people and having a good bit of skeet, and the feedback from the meetings indicates that if I'd been able to canvass I'd have stood a fairly good chance of getting in - so it's not like it was in my interest not to. On the flip side I think it's going to be quite interesting to see what the results are given the limitations. If elections are won and lost on the basis of localism and charm on the doorstep rather than by national policy and ideas then that's a pretty sad state of affairs. If by some miracle I do get elected I think that would be a milestone event in Manx politics, and a real accolade for the people of Rushen - to have voted for an idea rather than a person.

Jack - you still haven't answered my questions. Pathetic.

• Like 1

If elections are won and lost on the basis of localism and charm on the doorstep rather than by national policy and ideas then that's a pretty sad state of affairs. If by some miracle I do get elected I think that would be a milestone event in Manx politics, and a real accolade for the people of Rushen - to have voted for an idea rather than a person.

You are clearly utterly delusional. You don't appear to be offering anyone anything; except yourself £45k a year to sit on Facebook for the next 5 years.

Edited by JackCarter